VOW Subscriber Tier - Tell Us What You Want

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
phenom951

Re: VOW Subscriber Tier - Tell Us What You Want

Post by phenom951 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:11 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:The reason you don't see more of this: we're all just normal people with normal lives, normal jobs. This is our hobby. There are some weeks (like last) where Joe and I couldn't even find the same time to both be available. It's one of the reasons we stopped doing wrestler guest shows, it's hard enough to get two adults who are available for three hours on a weeknight, let alone trying to get multiple others at the same time.

This is something we have discussed though and while I can't promise these larger scale roundtables we will try and get some different voices in the mix.
Oh y'all keep doing what you're doing. I ain't complaining, just that it would be cool is all. But trust me, I understand balancing life and work. Someone e-mail Mark Cuban ASAP, he may be that rich benefactor you and Joe always keep asking for.

All in all tho, keep up the great work guys, just letting you know us dopes are willing to pay for cool shit.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Look, I'm a nearly two decade fan of the Dallas Mavericks, avid watcher of Shark Tank and talk about NJPW. I've also met Mark Cuban. That should be more than enough for him to throw us a cool billion, right?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:If we were to add a low priced subscriber tier, tell us the type of stuff you'd like to hear.

The weekly VOW Flagship will remain unchanged, free, & sponsor supported.

This would be bonus paywall content.
Here is a question I have...I don't know if you would have rather I PM'd you...but whatever.

How do you say that the Flagship will remain unchanged...however, if you are adding a bunch of bonus content, surely that bonus content will no longer be redone in some way on the Flagship.

Example: SummerSlam reaction show right after the event...you won't re-hash the same takes on the Flagship 5 days later.

or...you do a Bouncin' Around Japan bonus segment...I can't imagine the Flagship getting another Bouncin segment.

Also, as VoicesOfWrestling's Longest Active Listener...I gotta say this...love ya'll baws and haven't missed an episode, but there is no way I am paying to hear you two (I'd gladly accept free access, however). With that said, everything being suggested in some way ultimately takes away from the Flagship in some way - its one less thing you're less likely to talk about on the subsequent Flagship so the "nothing will change" sounds truthful from ya'll, but ultimately, unrealistic.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:28 pm

1) Bouncing around Indies/Japan/rando areas
2) Retro reviews
3) Q&A
4) Top 5s

all of these sound good to me.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am

Would also love a 2018 predictions show from you guys if possible

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:24 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:If we were to add a low priced subscriber tier, tell us the type of stuff you'd like to hear.

The weekly VOW Flagship will remain unchanged, free, & sponsor supported.

This would be bonus paywall content.
Here is a question I have...I don't know if you would have rather I PM'd you...but whatever.

How do you say that the Flagship will remain unchanged...however, if you are adding a bunch of bonus content, surely that bonus content will no longer be redone in some way on the Flagship.

Example: SummerSlam reaction show right after the event...you won't re-hash the same takes on the Flagship 5 days later.

or...you do a Bouncin' Around Japan bonus segment...I can't imagine the Flagship getting another Bouncin segment.

Also, as VoicesOfWrestling's Longest Active Listener...I gotta say this...love ya'll baws and haven't missed an episode, but there is no way I am paying to hear you two (I'd gladly accept free access, however). With that said, everything being suggested in some way ultimately takes away from the Flagship in some way - its one less thing you're less likely to talk about on the subsequent Flagship so the "nothing will change" sounds truthful from ya'll, but ultimately, unrealistic.
A lot of the bonus stuff is stuff we rarely do or no longer do at all on the Flagship.

I know you just used it as a blanket example, but Bouncin' Around Japan isn't going behind a paywall. That's something we do frequently on the weekly show and would stay there, unless we did a special one or something. Now, Bouncin' Around the Indies (which people seem to want more of), Bouncin' Around [insert here], that's something you might see.

As for instant reaction shows mitigating the reviews on the Flagship. That one I have thought about. We're going to approach those differently. Yes, there will be crossover/repeated "takes", that's unavoidable. Will we punt reviewing SummerSlam on the Flagship if we did an instant reaction show a few days earlier though? No way.

This is a way to do the extra content we've been wanting to do, and that people have asked us to do. It will be BONUS content, and we're going to attempt to always keep it that way. The subscribers will ultimately decide if they think we're shortchanging the Flagship or not providing value for the investment.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 pm

The only idea I can think of is the extra content featuring guest co-hosts--this would allow you to 'split' the responsibilities of the extra stuff without always needing both of you around for it (since it is essential that you both be around for the Flagship). Also, since you would more focused on specific topics or categories of topics for these extras, it would offer more incentive to have guests on who are experts/fans of said specific topics/categories. Third, it would serve as an extended audition for finding those guests who you end up having great, consistent chemistry with. Long-term, a nice reserve of 'data' you could have on hand in case the unthinkable happens and one of you has to leave the Flagship someday, or for the next time something keeps one of you out for a period of time (like Joe's crazy work-related shit from earlier this year). Finally--as a selfish desire of mine--it would give me more content to reference on the Observer forums and to entice people with, as a method to have them check this place out.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Another fish out of water review idea: an indie joshi show. Would love to here your first impressions of Seeeed(I forget how many e's)ling or ice ribbon.

TheLowEndTheory

Post by TheLowEndTheory » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 pm

I really like the guest co-hosts idea. The Flagship shows where Joe Gagne and Semp co-hosted were really great listens.

As others of said, a Predictions show for WWE and NJPW would make for a fun episodes.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 am

More John Pollocks and less Mike Johnsons:

Subscribe to or RT John and Wai's next venture:

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:05 pm

I've been a fan of Wai and John well before I even started this site. I can't give them a higher recommendation and cannot wait to see what happens with their next venture. Far and away the best recaps of weekly WWE and fingers crossed for the return of Review a Wai which is to me the best retro recap series.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm

I listened to the 12/22 podcast, and I have to be honest. I’m still not sure what I’d get if I signed up.

As far as I remember the levels were:
$2 = show over runs. But as these haven’t happened I can’t know the frequency, length or content
$5 = the above plus other stuff. This stuff may include Lanza Unfiltered, immediate responses to shows (but presumably not WK as there seemed some discussion on when this show could be reviewed) and some show recommending matches Joe had seen and Rich not and vice versa. And maybe other stuff.

I kind of get this is rapidly evolving, input probably depends on subscription rates and the price is kind of on a level with a cup of coffee. But for a thrifty Yorkshireman, it’d be nice to have some agenda for Jan at least so I feel I’m buying into something almost tangible, rather than just taking a punt on something because I think the free Flagship is great ‘value for money’.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:28 am

steve wrote:I listened to the 12/22 podcast, and I have to be honest. I’m still not sure what I’d get if I signed up.

As far as I remember the levels were:
$2 = show over runs. But as these haven’t happened I can’t know the frequency, length or content
$5 = the above plus other stuff. This stuff may include Lanza Unfiltered, immediate responses to shows (but presumably not WK as there seemed some discussion on when this show could be reviewed) and some show recommending matches Joe had seen and Rich not and vice versa. And maybe other stuff.

I kind of get this is rapidly evolving, input probably depends on subscription rates and the price is kind of on a level with a cup of coffee. But for a thrifty Yorkshireman, it’d be nice to have some agenda for Jan at least so I feel I’m buying into something almost tangible, rather than just taking a punt on something because I think the free Flagship is great ‘value for money’.
The only answer I can offer you is wait and see what we deliver. I suspect that's what many people are doing also, which I have no problem with.

I believe we will over deliver. That'll be up to you guys to decide. If we don't deliver, people will drop it. If we deliver, people will jump on board.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I know you just used it as a blanket example, but Bouncin' Around Japan isn't going behind a paywall.
Not that it affects me since I'm a subscriber (patron? Paypig? Idk) but this is funny. Tho it is kinda a special circumstance.

Gotta say though, already impressed by how much you've put up so far. Good content.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 pm

So, a Patreon show that lists your Observer Hall of Fame nominations. You've done this on the free show in previous years.

hmm.