VOW Subscriber Tier - Tell Us What You Want

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

VOW Subscriber Tier - Tell Us What You Want

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 am

If we were to add a low priced subscriber tier, tell us the type of stuff you'd like to hear.

The weekly VOW Flagship will remain unchanged, free, & sponsor supported.

This would be bonus paywall content.

MobbVanDam

Re: VOW Subscriber Tier - Tell Us What You Want

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 am

1) a better mic for Lanza

Idk other than that. I've mentioned my willingness to pay for content a few times over the years tho, especially once the 3 hour time limits started, but now that they're kinda gone I'm not sure what I want now.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 am

MobbVanDam wrote:1) a better mic for Lanza

Idk other than that. I've mentioned my willingness to pay for content a few times over the years tho, especially once the 3 hour time limits started, but now that they're kinda gone I'm not sure what I want now.
The three hour limits? They aren't really gone. We have to sneak them in. They don't cut it off, but they aren't thrilled.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 am

I'm kind of sick right now so I'm not really thinking straight. But maybe half-hour paywall podcasts?

Bounce around Japan (1/2 hour) - Covers one specific company each time, maybe by a quick fan vote?
Bound around Texas (1/2 hour) - Covers the Texas indie scene, maybe discusses a lot of the Tharpe era NWA Texas?
Bounce around with Joe Lanza (1/2 hour) - Joe just talks about the most random shit in his life.
Bounce around with Rich Kraetsch (1/2 hour) - Rich just talks about random shit in his life.

The last two are so for when you get far off-track, you can just rebrand the episode and put it out still.

Other stuff than I can think about is maybe putting up your audio archive on Youtube. I'd be very interested in listening to some of your early episodes as if it was the Wrestling Observer Rewind, but the website itself isn't really well-suited to deep searches from what I've been able to attempt. Especially when there's a mix of articles and podcasts and the podcasts summaries won't outline everything in detail that was discussed or when with time-stamps.

I know Rob seems to handle the Youtube page among other stuff so bless him, but the channel isn't exactly the most up-to-date or catalogued. I feel like you could have an archives channel on youtube easily, uploading full episodes of each podcast chronologically with some seperate clips of each episode as teasers before the episode is put up.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Would honestly pay a little something for what we have already but some extra things maybe such as-

Sports talk - A weekly 45 mins show jumping around MLB, NFL, NBA
Guest Shows - Guests from the forum have a 30 min chat about all things wrestling
More q and a shows

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Content wise: more Q&A and crossover shows. Episodes dedicated to specialized subjects like the NOAH project or the MOTY balloting.

But I'd probably be most inclined to support if it just means the people who create content for the site got a kickback from it.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Reviews of classic shows and the return of Lanza Unfiltered. That's all I can really think of. I know you guys aren't going to do it but I would be willing to pay for the flagship, you guys do great work.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Danwaka wrote:Other stuff than I can think about is maybe putting up your audio archive on Youtube. I'd be very interested in listening to some of your early episodes as if it was the Wrestling Observer Rewind, but the website itself isn't really well-suited to deep searches from what I've been able to attempt. Especially when there's a mix of articles and podcasts and the podcasts summaries won't outline everything in detail that was discussed or when with time-stamps.

I know Rob seems to handle the Youtube page among other stuff so bless him, but the channel isn't exactly the most up-to-date or catalogued. I feel like you could have an archives channel on youtube easily, uploading full episodes of each podcast chronologically with some seperate clips of each episode as teasers before the episode is put up.
I'm hoping to start adding more YouTube content over the next year, the problem, of course, is just time. Between shoots jobs, real life obligations as well as coordinating every written piece of content that goes onto the site, doing site tech support, etc. there's finite amount of time and usually YouTube is what falls by the wayside. I am going to try and figure out a way to make this a bigger part of our content in the coming year so definitely be on the lookout for more YouTube content all across the board.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Retro reviews, especially from the puro side. I always hear stuff like the 1998 g1 is an all time classic but engaging with this stuff is more fun with a guide. Never heard you guys talk about FMW, classic all japan, peak Noah, etc but would love to.

For the subscriber tier I'd also like to hear more shit talk shoot week style stuff. You guys have played it a bit timid since the brand has gained a larger following, that ain't your lane.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Bounce Around is probably your best content and most open ended theme. You can even play with the idea of Bouncing Around the Classics where you can go back and talk about 90s AJPW or Early Noah (although for me that could be because I'm so unfamilar with those eras).

The other thing I think would be a monthly mail bag. The mix between wrestling and off topic questions ends up being a very entertaining mix.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Retro reviews, especially from the puro side. I always hear stuff like the 1998 g1 is an all time classic but engaging with this stuff is more fun with a guide. Never heard you guys talk about FMW, classic all japan, peak Noah, etc but would love to.

For the subscriber tier I'd also like to hear more shit talk shoot week style stuff. You guys have played it a bit timid since the brand has gained a larger following, that ain't your lane.
Retro stuff is a lock.

As for the Twitter drama stuff, yeah, we largely grew out of that as the listener base grew, because we don't want to talk to 500 people and leave the other XX,XXX hanging not knowing what the fuck we're talking about. I think one thing we will have to adjust to is once we're behind a paywall, it's the hardcores, and we should adjust a bit for that.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Another element that could be cool: fish out of water type stuff. IE: it would be interesting to hear you guys review a CMLL friday night.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I'm hoping to start adding more YouTube content over the next year, the problem, of course, is just time. Between shoots jobs, real life obligations as well as coordinating every written piece of content that goes onto the site, doing site tech support, etc. there's finite amount of time and usually YouTube is what falls by the wayside. I am going to try and figure out a way to make this a bigger part of our content in the coming year so definitely be on the lookout for more YouTube content all across the board.
I do get the scale of the gig, especially when taking into account that this is basically a hobby for FUN and all. That said, If there's a playlist up somewhere of older videos on Apple or Google or something from the very start, I'd probably set up a fan channel and play around on a copy of Adobe Audition with some cuts, if only for my own sake.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Seafood Pro Wrestling is a must.

*I agree with alot of people on here. "Bouncing Around X" could be fun. I can't recall having heard Rich and Joe talk properly about the UK scene on the Flagship apart from Fake Taxi.

Hearing Joe bouncing around the Texas Scene or Rich at AAW could be fun. Hell, I remember recently Joe saying he was months behind on PROGRESS. I assume he will spend several nights a week staying up till 5am watching it so why not make the most of it and record a solo show a day or two later with your thoughts?

Open The Voice Gate have a great segment when they upload a match to a Google Drive for people to watch and talk about. Would be a nice bi-weekly show that can be plotted out way in advance.

Lanza Unfiltered was great. Really enjoyed the Novembrino episode and a follow up would be cool.

I don't know what else to suggest in all honesty. I understand this is a well deserved, nice little bonus for the hours you commit to the site every week and pays for the severs and it's great you already help out all the writers. I don't want to demand X, Y and Z as I know time is a commodity we can't give you unless some gives you a full time wage. Don't want to burn you both out with you guys producing content to justify people paying.

I was also going to suggest a review that WCW show you always threaten us with but I can't fucking remember which one! Halloween Havoc 97 or Starcade 92. I hope It's one of them...

*Edit* Starcade 97.. Should have listened to the flagship before posting...
Last edited by Empiresk on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

If you want retro reviews, use sub cheddar to hire TLF.