Music of the Mat #22: The Legacy of Jim Johnston

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
andrewrich
VOW Staff Member

Music of the Mat #22: The Legacy of Jim Johnston

Post by andrewrich » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm

On this episode of Music of the Mat, Andrew talks about the incredible legacy of Jim Johnston, the man who is undeniably pro wrestling's greatest composer.

suplexberry

Re: Music of the Mat #22: The Legacy of Jim Johnston

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 am

This was a great show. Very good tribute, loved the bits from interviews of his worked seamlessly into the rest of the show.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind this kind of show in the future. While interaction between a host and guest is a lot of fun, you're a good writer so these "audio essay" type of shows could really work if you get a good idea for them.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 pm

suplexberry wrote:This was a great show. Very good tribute, loved the bits from interviews of his worked seamlessly into the rest of the show.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind this kind of show in the future. While interaction between a host and guest is a lot of fun, you're a good writer so these "audio essay" type of shows could really work if you get a good idea for them.
You nailed it. Andrew's writing has always been exceptional, I'm always jealous editing one of his pieces and realize my writing isn't even in the same universe as Andrew's. Thus when you does as you said an audio essay, you get some of that writing and storytelling in audio form. It really was exceptional and I hope everyone gets a chance to listen to it, even if you don't think the subject matter is all that interesting (which you should because Johnston is an all-time legend in professional wrestling).

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm

That BONE SOLDIER profile in the ebook was the stuff of legends.

And yeah, I was thinking of like, This American Life segments which are basically just audio essays or personal stories, maybe with some interview clips thrown in. I think something like that could really work if Andrew wants to play around with the format when the idea strikes him as good enough.

billknust

Post by billknust » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:11 pm

God damn, I loved this show, Andrew. What a tribute, and you hit all the right notes along the way, no pun intended.

Was initially kind of mad you didn't have a guest, but changed my opinion once I heard your reason.

Superb stuff. Keep it up.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

andrewrich
VOW Staff Member

Post by andrewrich » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you for such kind words Suplexberry, Rich, and Bill. You know I hadn't thought about doing another episode like this in the future, but your feedback has definitely put it in my mind. I'll just have to wait for the right topic to come up.