Wrestling Omakase #20: AJPW Year in Review w/ Eyean

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
IIDXias

Wrestling Omakase #20: AJPW Year in Review w/ Eyean

Post by IIDXias » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:48 pm

We've made it to our twentieth episode! This week Omakase celebrates this milestone by kicking off our new Year in Review series that will take us through most of the rest of the year. Each episode we will be joined by passionate fans of a particular promotion to break down the year that was in that company, with a special focus on possible contenders for some Observer award categories and match of the year polls.

We kick off this week with a discussion on AJPW and the interesting year they had from a booking perspective with Eyean (@skrongstyle on Twitter). He knows his stuff and is incredibly passionate about the company, and given that your regular host here likes them a lot too this ends up being a very positive episode as a result. Enjoy a spirited couple of hours on AJ's 2017!

Danwaka

Re: Wrestling Omakase #20: AJPW Year in Review w/ Eyean

Post by Danwaka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Listening through it now.

The 2017 Junior Hyper League is something I need to catch up on, given how good the field was. (No, I won't call it Battle of Glory)
The Junior division this year in AJPW definitely feels like a step back post-JHL. I always say this, but I wish they made more use of the ex-OPW juniors as title challengers or contenders. We got Maruyama of course, but there are others who I think could be contributive.
Ultimo Dragon and Taijiri are old draws I guess, but I would have rather had them messing around with Osamu Nishimura and the !BANG! World Television Championship. That said, I don't know if Sato holding it any longer would have been better. Guess that's just me.
There were a lot of unsatisfactory quick title changes, yeah. If the Triple Crown had to jump around, then the Junior titles should have been more stable as a counterpart.

You're right, the tag team scene this year have been badly devastated by injuries. But AJPW in general seems to have a history of tag titles getting vacated. That said, at what point does AJPW assembles some fresh teams? KAI was the centerpoint of two seperate teams, but he's a freelancer and apparently getting made the centerpiece of FMW with Kazushi Miyamoto. I'd rather he return full time to AJPW, but even then we could do with some fresh teams. Hopefully YOSHITATSU can help in that regard, because I don't think we got one stable new tag team from start of the year to the finish. Nomura/Aoyagi should have won and held the All-Asia Tag Team Titles much earlier and for much more of the year. Aoki and Sato could have done some stuff in the World Tag Title scene.

Liking someone despite not being all that great? Can't imagine doing that *hides YOSHITATSU foam finger*

Jake had a great year reportedly, though I need to watch more of it pre-injury. I've been spottier than I've liked with AJPW. The title challenge vs. Ishikawa was great though.

Kengo Mashimo is someone I like having in AJPW. I know he's the ace of K-DOJO or whatever (I don't follow them), but he's such a great utility player. He's much more a Cesaro for me than Zeus like some people say. I think Zeus can go all the way.

KAI is like YOSHITATSU for me. I can't help but cheer for him. He's one of those guys like Sanada that I feel Mutoh just fumbled so badly on despite getting handed to him. Should have been Triple Crown Champ after returning in 2013 from injury. Should have never gone to AJPW. Same with Manabu Soya.

Yeah, Strigga mentioned it regarding FMW. Him and Miyamoto are supposed to be the new centerpieces or something.

Mhm, KAI and Zeus not getting title shots was odd but-

Just as I type this you point out the need for fresh challengers. That said, Zeus should have dethroned Ishikawa and KAI should have been fed to Ishikawa for one match.

Food for thought: Was Kento Miyahara's first title reign the best first-time title reign for either AJPW, NJPW or NOAH since 2012? I think it very well might be.

Bodyguard = AJPW! Batista

Doering, Kojima and Suwama was basically bad all around while it was happening. Glad it's done with and hope NJPW stays out of AJPW in the future. I don't think it was necessary to bring Kojima or Michinoku in still.

Hey, YOSHITATSU is a confirmed draw. Drew 11K+ with scrubs like John Cena, Chris Jericho and Sheamus around him. GEEK? How dare you! Laughing at the man whose gonna help lift AJPW up.

Yeah, the TC scene wasn't great at the end of the year. SUWAMA vs. YOSHITATSU would have been aces. Also, KAI & YOSHITATSU in the Real World Tag League would have been nice as freelance outsiders.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Digging the KAI love. He was a guy who I was bullish on being one of the best 75 or so wrestlers in the world last year, and this year he'll probably make my top 50.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

KAI fans unite!!

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm

I really liked the show! I love AJPW as well, I think I watched every show that made tape this year, and my outlook was very similar to yours in general.

It's very nice to hear someone else praise that 30 min+ 6 man tag. I LOVED that match. I introduced AJPW to a friend of mine with that show and because of how awesome that match was he was drawn in and we always try to watch the shows together whenever we can.

I don't think the fast title switches are a problem at all, as long as this Doering title reign ends up being a long one. That's one of those things that normally get shit on because it's done very often in some places but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

It's funny you guys mentioned that AJPW doesn't do well outside of the Tokyo area, as I heard the show a little after reading they just did 2000+ in Hokkaido. :D They had Mutoh on the show though, that may have played a big part in it.

I also really liked you guys going back and talking about the Miyahara reign, as I had forgotten about that awesome spot where Akiyama refuses to go down after the knees. I also loved the Bodyguard defense, he truly won all of our hearts over in that match.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 am

Great podcast, very informative and fun look back at a strong year.