VOW Flagship: Power Struggle, Bound for Glory, NWA/Tim Storm & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Power Struggle, Bound for Glory, NWA/Tim Storm & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:30 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast, we preview NJPW Power Struggle, discuss recent releases in both TNA and WWE, preview TNA's Bound for Glory PPV, the awesome work being done by NWA in promoting champion Tim Storm and of course take our victory lap for Asuka.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: Power Struggle, Bound for Glory, NWA/Tim Storm & more!

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:43 pm

1:12

smh can't believe I had to wait through the whole intro to get to the WRESTLING.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Oh, are we making a meme of this right now? Is that what we're doing right now?

/Will Smith impression over.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm

For a second I thought the Makabe/Cody theory Joe had may be real, but they are not going to shoot an angle like this with Final Battle (headlined by Cody vs Castle for the belt, iirc) happening next month, are they? Unless New Japan decides to fuck with ROH for the Omega situation recently and just announce Makabe vs Cody for the Dome on Monday, which would be both so funny and so sad at the same time

Anyway, they are doing Invasion Attack 2015 all over again tomorrow, this time Omega goes to face off with Tana afterwards, but Ibushi kicks his head off and challenges him, and there you go that is your US title match at the Dome. Not sure what you do with Tanahashi and his belt but yeah (maybe enter the ol' American Nightmare right here?) I mean this is all totally not happening, but good god imagine twitter when Ibushi/Omega angle is set-up and you expect someone like Shibata or at least Elgin to show up and challenge Tana, and you get Cody R.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Some saucy starch, incredibly well-deserved, to kick it off. Appreciated as my free time is congested with so many other activities which is why I’m apathetic to the banter and any completely nonexistent companies.

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:31 pm

FWIW I used to live in Oklahoma and when I did just about everyone followed the weather pretty closely.

Mostly because no one wanted to get blindsided by a tornado.

Roryb122159

Post by Roryb122159 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Great podcast as per guys, despite throwing shade on Disco Wrestling

Lanza burying the Scottish once again

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 pm

also re: Emma and Lanza&Kraetsch taking the W's - you guys should just do what you did week after Omega won the G1, when you just basically started the show off with Joe's 14 or 15' rant about how Omega is going to be a main eventer very soon, kinda expected same here with Emma honestly

Greghundred

Post by Greghundred » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 pm

I had a remote control like the one Joe was talking about. This would have been in the late eighties. I think it was an old tv at the time.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 am

You said it without saying it. But Magnus man I know he's a Billy and Lagana loyalist has some exposure/cred, has a good body and wrestles a professional TV-style but he is the most just a guy ever with actual X-Pac heat.

Magnus vs Tim Storm is a match I want to be in the crowd for just to feel it and given the above and Tim being a canny old pro who has been presented sympathetically. To see if Tim wins the crowd over to the degree that audible could possibly be called and Tim wins or they do a draw or a do a disputed finish.

The NWA title over the last 25 years has shown itself to be controversy-prone with all kind of double-crosses and disputed finishes too.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 pm

A day after the Flagship drops, WWE cuts two more guys.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Really fun show as usual.

Take this with a tea spoon of salt since it may be nothing but fan speculation but I read somebody speculate that the reason they're booking Cody on all these shows in these weird tag matches is because he signed a deal and they've got dates to burn, but don't want to keep giving him singles matches (assumably because after the Okada match is done with, they aren't looking to build towards any other singles bout). I don't know how NJPW deals work, so honestly I have no clue, but my assumption has always been that you either sign for a year/multi-year or get paid by the tour, ie the weekly pay model Gallows said he was on back in the day. But it would make sense, if they agreed a set number of shows and now don't want to really feature him prominently but still want him on the shows. I don't know, honestly. It makes zero sense to me that he keeps getting flown out so he can have a goofy tag and illicit worse reactions than Chase Owens, the designated pin eater, but oh well.

If it is Makabe vs Cody, so be it. People need to go to toilet, it's a 4+ hour show.

I think Finlay is still living at the dojo? Maybe? I never thought about him not taking any other bookings, but now that I am thinking about it, it's just weird, and kind of gets under my skin. This guy is really young and good, and even if it's three months in CMLL, any time away would be beneficial, more beneficial than being the one getting pinned in NJPW vs Suzuki-gun multiman number 36,592. I think if they do really just see him as a preliminary wrestler that's shortsighted. We don't know what his ceiling is yet, he's so far from having reached it.

Ibushi is one of my favorite guys from the moment I saw my first match with him, but man, he is such a mystery. I could start my own research institute just studying what he does and what he wants and still not figure it out at all. As of late I think he's talked about what the fans mean to him and wanting to show new sides of himself to the fans as well as to his opponents. But I don't know if that's just to hype up the Tanahashi match or his G1 run - when he talks about feeling like a balcony dive was "us all jumping together", does that mean he wants to stay in New Japan to perform in front of these particular fans, to show his progression to this particular roster of opponents?

As of late I have been thinking a lot about how wrestlers portray their characters in their wrestling, telling a story of who they are just by the way that they wrestle. With Ibushi there's a lot there, I feel like I know Ibushi the wrestler when he's in the ring, but the moment he leaves the ring he becomes a bottomless pool of mystery.

I really hope he wins.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:58 pm

I wonder if the reason that David Finlay hasn't gone on excursion yet is that New Japan wanted to keep he and Jay White apart and see how they develop separately. At this point it seems that New Japan only has two places they send Young Lions on excursions (ROH in the US and CMLL in Mexico) and for whatever reason they don't usually send the gaijin to Mexico, so maybe at some point after Jay White comes back to Japan (which could very well be tomorrow) they'll ship Finlay off to ROH. I could see a scenario where Jay White returns, has a match where he dominates Finlay in order to emphasize how different White's personality and skill level is now that he's back from excursion, and then shortly after that Finlay heads off to the States for 18 months to hone his craft.

At least I hope that that's what the deal is with Finlay. It's true that he doesn't really have a star look or aura, but I feel like he's too good in the ring to just be a jobber his whole career. I'd like to see him at least reach that Juice Robinson/YOSHI-HASHI "lower-midcarder who occasionally gets a high profile title shot" level, which I feel is the right spot for him long-term.

The whole Cody in New Japan thing is weird. He does seem to bring a certain value to places like ROH where he is undeniably over with the crowd (even if I could personally do without him), but in New Japan he's basically indistinguishable from Chase Owens or Hangman Page, and arguably worse than either of those men at adapting to the New Japan style. In hindsight Cody's bland New Japan singles matches with Juice, Finlay, and Elgin did pay off in terms of building to the Long Beach match with Okada, but his appearances in Japan since then have seemed pretty arbitrary. I hope that suplexberry is correct about New Japan just having to fulfill a certain amount of dates with Cody, and that those dates don't extend past January 4th 2018.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Glad to hear Rich's take on Beretta. I was at that AAW Trent vs. ZSJ match and it is still my favorite live match I've ever seen. I became a huge Trent fan that night, and having just finished the Omega/Beretta match, that high regard has only heightened. He's one HELL of a performer.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 am

Beretta's always been awesome, I'm surprised it's actually taken him this long to get to this kind of match in his career.

Conversely why the shade on Johnny Impact, Rich? As someone who saw LU to the end I gotta say, dude's a very good wrestler. Though a less impressive overall athlete compared to modern day fliers he still does cool stuff that no one else does. I'll always defend him though, dumb names and all, since he's the one who got me back into wrestling in 2011 after I quit in 2009.

Thank God that Makabe thing didn't happen.