VOW Flagship: Asuka debut, WWE TLC, AJPW & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Asuka debut, WWE TLC, AJPW & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:08 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast, Joe and Rich talk WWE TLC including the perplexing Asuka debut, the maddening main event and the dominance of THE BIG RED MONSTER Kane. We also delve into NJPW's recent Road to Power Struggle show, check-in on the Super Junior Tag Tournament, recent title changes in All Japan Pro-Wrestling and Japanese candidates for the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

supersonic

Re: VOW Flagship: Asuka debut, WWE TLC, AJPW & more!

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:01 pm

23:00 to hear Rich’s time stamp reaction bullshit

25:10 to actually start digging into the starch

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks as always!

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I've no idea who Supes is timestamping for.

If there's a person who acts on it can they come forward? Genuinely interested.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Guess you gotta avoid everything off topic in case Rich talks about eating a steak or something

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Assica! Assica! Assica!

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Listening to this week’s NFL Ringer Show actually gave further credence to establishing dominant stars. There are concerns that Sunday Night Football ratings will see a decline this year since there are minimal established juggernauts, and most of the league has fallen into a mediocre muck. It’s not just a pro wrestling tradition.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm

rovert wrote:I've no idea who Supes is timestamping for.

If there's a person who acts on it can they come forward? Genuinely interested.
Which is why I hate it. Anyone listening to us knows full well a lot of our show is bullshit banter. The "timestamp gimmick" was done on the Observer boards because Meltzer and Alvarez would talk about some random MMA topic even when major wrestling news would hit so it was an established way to avoid mindless GSP talk for 40 minutes and just get to the wrestling part.

Nobody listens to us and expects 100% pro wrestling from the moment we hit record on.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm

I mean I skip around sometimes if you guys are doing two hours of a WWE PPV show or something, but that's sort of on my own time rather than from supes.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 pm

An ad dropping in, then Lanza saying this was an ad free edition of the show about 20 seconds later, was entertaining comedy.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:44 pm

The ad comedy of VoW is subtle and great.

Back in the day...

Popped big for the show being bookended by Harry's razors but Joe and Rich hocking Dollar Shave Club during the show.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 pm

When the expression "butt wipe banter" is descriptive and not derogatory...

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 am

The great razor wars of the 2010s has pretty much funded the entire podcast industry. Hoping VOW gets some of that sweet Gillette money soon.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

From my experience, the timestamp on the board was for any and all MMA talk. Which is fine, but it always seemed whiny for people to need these markers for topics they don't like, instead of just skipping around when an uninteresting topic came up. I've set my app to skip around 15 seconds per FF and rewind button press, and it's not that hard to get past something that doesn't interest me.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I once joked that Switchblade should form his own Switchblade Army, but honestly why not. I genuinely got into the Goto-Sabre fantasy stable talk, because the absolute scraps of most stables are still all genuinely good wrestlers and could do something very good on their own. CHAOS especially has flat-out too many people with no clearly defined roles. We all yell about Goto because we know how good he can be, but even YH suffers in the CHAOS bloat, and while Trent The Heavyweight is new in the role, he honestly might be better off in a new group than in the existing one. Every two weeks Purocast gets into a "what is happening with David Finlay" discussion because he's honestly the worst used guy on the roster. He's been spinning in his wheels, and he's getting experience but he's not advancing, and at a time when the lowest rung YL's are getting advancement, it's unacceptable to be in that position. A new stable would give him new purpose. I think him and Juice are set to be a team in WTL so maybe that's a good thing.

(Also CHAOS has about twelve heavyweights but Gedo can't find a regular heavyweight tag team in his own stable with a magnifying glass, but I won't rant about that now.)

I remember listening to Sempervive show in April and wanting to be like "You're nuts, Joe" with regards to Kawato's future position but then I was like, "ehh, it's impossible to predict the future". But now I'm all in, and I hope this kid gets to experience a long career. I'd love for him to be a junior at first but if he fills out, transition to heavyweights and alter his style and have these different, organic stages to his career. I'd love to see him work under a mask. I have a sneaking suspicion Liger's mentoring him in the dojo, since all the early matches he shone in had Liger involved in a significant way and Liger lives in the dojo half the time, I remember reading. Now the psychology of the match is just his thing, and I've been continuously shocked with all the moves he's been allowed to add, from the kicks to the chest to the springboard dropkick to this tope and even a rana in this most recent match.

Also not to nitpick, but I think Okada and Naito did touch on the Road to show headlined by Nakanishi and Nagata, but not at the start of the match.