VOW Flagship: G1 Special in USA, Intermissions, Great Balls of Fire & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: G1 Special in USA, Intermissions, Great Balls of Fire & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:27 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling Flagship podcast: A lesson in romanticism, a monster G1 Special in USA review, WWE Great Balls Of Fire previews, Rich battles a spider for three hours and we once again bow before pro wrestling businessman extraordinaire Jeff Jarrett.

Support our sponsors:

Blue Apron: Get your first three meals free (w/free shipping) at http://blueapron.com/vow
Dollar Shave Club: Get your first month of the Executive Razor with a tube of Dr. Carver’s Shave Butter for $5 (w/ free shipping) at http://dollarshaveclub.com/voices
ZipRecruiter: Start building your winning roster today. Post your first job for free at http://ziprecruiter.com/vow

phpBB [audio]

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... alls-fire/
AudioBoom:

suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Special in USA, Intermissions, Great Balls of Fire & more!

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 am

Haven't finished listening yet but wanted to jump in on the Shibata nontroversy. I think it's fair that this match divides people and some may not be able to stomach it, especially if they did not see in those 30+ hrs where we did not know the devastating consequences. That's fair, each to their own, but it really bugs me when people go around yelling "But he almost died! He's a human being not a character!" at people trying to talk about the match, I just think that's so unfair. I was there live, I watched it three times within 24 hrs because to me that match is so good and such a great story and perfect for both guys.

And I totally get what you meant by "romantic". It's hard to find words for something that is ultimately so tragic and unfortunate but for a guy who did wrestle a lot of matches like they were his last. He did work hurt, too. It's a lot of issues in one, but there is also a story that was told beautifully within that match. Which is why people getting shamed for liking or not liking the match really bugs me. I get both sides. Nobody should be yelled at for their takes.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 am

Thoughts:

Sakura Genesis would be a great name for the big show after Champion Carnival, IMO.

I also like intermissions. I get to go to the bathroom, cook some food, make a drink, grab my laundry to do some folding, etc... It's a nice downtime if you're watching the show.

Yeah, Robert Flores would be a great get if he can come on full-time or part-time. I wonder who else in MLB, NHL, NFL, etc... could be a great wrestling commentator?

Yeah, Kenny kills himself in these matches. I'm not a Buck fan though, so the rainbow tights periods are just annoying. I'd wish he'd play it easy differently, if that makes sense.

Taichi was an AJPW dude first, so not in the system. You also got to account for how many native juniors graduated over the years. If that wasn't the case then the division would be a lot deeper.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 am

Yeah it looked like Kenny's soul had left him when he did the post match press conferences at Long Beach.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Summerslam 90 had an intermission. That's legit the last show I remember having an intermission from WWE.

Kind of scared how much I agreed with Joe this week.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

I could have sworn Tanaka was going HW considering how buff he had gotten up to this point. The only other JHW Japanese native that started in New Japan that they have left is Taguchi.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Second Rich's desires to keep this Lee Jr./Takahashi feud going forever, if only because I suspect they will both land, at some point, in a company where rivals get teamed up all the time at the whims of an authority figure or due to fate. Feuding partners is usually a garbage concept, but I think these two could make it work in a believable and engaging way. It would be fun as hell.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:50 pm

thanks for the shoutout re: Omakase

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 pm

OMGlancy wrote:Summerslam 90 had an intermission. That's legit the last show I remember having an intermission from WWE.

Thank you! I knew it was a SummerSlam but I kept thinking of '89 for some reason.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:58 pm

OMGlancy wrote:Summerslam 90 had an intermission. That's legit the last show I remember having an intermission from WWE.

I am 99% sure that WrestleMania 8 had an intermission but that is the last show I remember having one.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Love to forget a mega popular BOSJ finalist from last year and captain of a very over faction when talking about homegrown juniors.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 pm

http://411mania.com/wrestling/wade-brew ... all-stars/

Just a random thing that's gone unnoticed, but WWA (the pre-TNA fed from Australia) got sold and is apparently restarting soon.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:02 pm

armsofsleep wrote:Love to forget a mega popular BOSJ finalist from last year and captain of a very over faction when talking about homegrown juniors.
Can't recall exactly but wasn't our point about guys for the future? Taguchi is great, I'm a big fan (Joe is indifferent) but not sure he factors into the future of the division or fit into the context of the conversation we were having.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:

Thank you! I knew it was a SummerSlam but I kept thinking of '89 for some reason.
Every single WWE house show has intermissions. Maybe the little Florida NXT shows don't, but the tour ones do.

Who's the former NJPW tag team that there's rumors about? Gallows and Anderson?

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 pm

In the short term, I think it would probably be a wiser decision if Komatsu and Tanaka did remain a tag team when they return from excursion. Right now the tag ranks in the Junior Division could do with more freshening up (especially now Roppongi Vice are no more) than the singles, which is pretty loaded right now- even if a good chunk of the division is made up of 'outsiders'.

Not saying that they need to be the next coming of Jado and Gedo, but more like keep them as a tag team for a few years and then push them as singles when clearer openings to do so start to emerge.