VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks & Schedule, Slammiversary, GFW & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Deman93

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks & Schedule, Slammiversary, GFW & more!

Post by Deman93 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm hoping that Jim Ross doesn't need bullet points to stay caught up with the product considering that him and Josh Barnett are basically marathoning through 2017 so that AXS fans are caught on NJPW before the G1 Special. He should definitely be more knowledgeable (and hopefully excited/invested) for the product because it has literally been his job for the past year to do commentary for the AXS show.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:48 pm

suplexberry wrote:You know who's like the one guy who has benefited from SZG being back? Kawato.

Dude has spent nearly half a year against Despy and Taka in a million tags, usually alongside a vet like Liger and those tags have really highlighted him and he's gotten better and better as the year has worn on. I think it was a Korakuen tag in March before Sakura Genesis which had this six man tag and Kawato had this incredible fucking hot tag sequence that the crowd was like molten lava for. This was a Road To six man, second match on the show, and the crowd was all in Kawato. It was kinda nuts. I remember Purocast talking about it at length.
I found the match I was talking about: http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00431_1_02

I rewatched it and while my memory was not perfect I was correct in that it's a great match, surprisingly so, and whoever was in charge of laying it out made sure that Kawato got over as fuck. Perfectly designed to highlight his best qualities, frantic in pace, just a fucking fun match.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 pm

mlev76 wrote:It is quite striking how much LU fell off a cliff in terms of relevance during Season 2. I just recall how impassioned people were when it wasn't 100% clear it was coming back..and now how few realistically care.
I bristle at this when this talking point comes up on Twitter like clockwork every three weeks. There's definite a lot less people on Twitter and elsewhere discussing the show - not just the people who sample everything, but people who were specifically very passionate about LU but hit their own breaking point and have moved on. It's much easier to find a discussion about what's wrong with the show to the point they stopped watching than to find one actually talking about what happened that week.

But then, we'll get the ratings number for the show, notice it's about closer to the peak of the season and not showing any decline, and of course it means more people watching than the first season everyone on Twitter loved. (And there's never any discussion about that.)

LU TV kind of feels the same as ROH TV. The numbers (as best as we know them) say people are watching the show, but few people feel passionate enough to talk much about it - there will be a match here or there that'll pop, but there's little talk about the weekly show and the discussion is a lot stronger about the backstage turmoil than the onscreen product. Both are taped batches at a time that make them feel less urgent (though obviously more so with LU.) LU at least will get brought up in passing by Meltzer, while ROH TV seems to only exist for that day after a taping, when people pour thru the results to figure out what the next PPV will be like. (It can't be just a taping in advance deal, because this isn't the same fate as NXT.) The big difference is ROH TV has ROH PPVs, jumping in events, and LU doesn't.

LU doesn't have anything - the twitter account will sent about four messages outside of the show, but the show just ceases to exist between each Wednesday. They got away with it in Season 1 because people were excited enough to promote the show for them, but it's apparent how little effort is made to promote the show with that now gone. Your average indie puts more into it.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:08 pm

You are spot on with LU.

Its just an easy 45-50m of viewing every Wednesday after NXT for me. I don't think its trash...I've not seen anything amazing in a long time...but it keeps me coming back for the easy watch.

However, I'm a notorious mark for easy, light wrestling television. It goes back to my love for 605, Worldwide, WCW Main Event, WWF Primetime, Superstars, etc where you get progression of angles, but its all really light fare where nothing is really of consequence, but its entertaining nonetheless, because it IS leading up to a big event. LU has big events, but clearly not like the traditional model. Its episodic format just works like a television show where it just builds to the penultimate and finale episodes. I dig it, but unless something is awesome or absolutely ridiculous, there isnt much to talk about.

loomer

Post by loomer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:49 am

All the G1 Climax schedule talk, along with being at the G1 Special, got me so excited for it. I'm fiending for the 17th to come around. I'm very much looking forward to all the fresh ZSJ matchups. Besides Goto, don't think I've seen him wrestle any of these guys before
► Show Spoiler
. He's one of my favorites on the indies and it'll be great to see him against some greats like Tanahashi and Naito.

Whoever made it possible and took the time to import the entire G1 schedule onto phone calendars, you're an absolute saint and I'm crossing my fingers someone at the site does it again this year!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

thecubsfan wrote:
mlev76 wrote:It is quite striking how much LU fell off a cliff in terms of relevance during Season 2. I just recall how impassioned people were when it wasn't 100% clear it was coming back..and now how few realistically care.
I bristle at this when this talking point comes up on Twitter like clockwork every three weeks. There's definite a lot less people on Twitter and elsewhere discussing the show - not just the people who sample everything, but people who were specifically very passionate about LU but hit their own breaking point and have moved on. It's much easier to find a discussion about what's wrong with the show to the point they stopped watching than to find one actually talking about what happened that week.

But then, we'll get the ratings number for the show, notice it's about closer to the peak of the season and not showing any decline, and of course it means more people watching than the first season everyone on Twitter loved. (And there's never any discussion about that.)

LU TV kind of feels the same as ROH TV. The numbers (as best as we know them) say people are watching the show, but few people feel passionate enough to talk much about it - there will be a match here or there that'll pop, but there's little talk about the weekly show and the discussion is a lot stronger about the backstage turmoil than the onscreen product. Both are taped batches at a time that make them feel less urgent (though obviously more so with LU.) LU at least will get brought up in passing by Meltzer, while ROH TV seems to only exist for that day after a taping, when people pour thru the results to figure out what the next PPV will be like. (It can't be just a taping in advance deal, because this isn't the same fate as NXT.) The big difference is ROH TV has ROH PPVs, jumping in events, and LU doesn't.

LU doesn't have anything - the twitter account will sent about four messages outside of the show, but the show just ceases to exist between each Wednesday. They got away with it in Season 1 because people were excited enough to promote the show for them, but it's apparent how little effort is made to promote the show with that now gone. Your average indie puts more into it.
Relevance and viewership aren't mutually exclusive. You could make the very real case that LU's first season was far more relevant than either Impact or ROH tv was at the times despite trailing both in viewership. Perhaps the 1st two seasons, first season especially, were overhyped in terms of importance, but it felt like the start of something new and important to the business as a whole. And perhaps the introduction and elevation of new talent was relevant, but today, I don't feel like I am missing anything by not watching. With the glut of both weekly and nonweekly content available, the available hours to watch things beyond my and others' specific niches has shrunk since season 1.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm

mlev76 wrote:
thecubsfan wrote:

Relevance and viewership aren't mutually exclusive. You could make the very real case that LU's first season was far more relevant than either Impact or ROH tv was at the times despite trailing both in viewership. Perhaps the 1st two seasons, first season especially, were overhyped in terms of importance, but it felt like the start of something new and important to the business as a whole. And perhaps the introduction and elevation of new talent was relevant, but today, I don't feel like I am missing anything by not watching. With the glut of both weekly and nonweekly content available, the available hours to watch things beyond my and others' specific niches has shrunk since season 1.
Another interesting point to bring up in the Impact ratings argument. Especially because the Broken Universe was the only time people were talking about TNA outside of backstage drama.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
thecubsfan wrote:

Another interesting point to bring up in the Impact ratings argument. Especially because the Broken Universe was the only time people were talking about TNA outside of backstage drama.
While saying 'ratings don't matter' would be silly in a world where ratings actually do matter, they are clearly less of a factor than they were 5, 10, 15 years ago. And while we have no other metrics to truly base things on in any real way, across the board, it doesn't appear that ratings mean all that much from week to week.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Deman93 wrote:I'm hoping that Jim Ross doesn't need bullet points to stay caught up with the product considering that him and Josh Barnett are basically marathoning through 2017 so that AXS fans are caught on NJPW before the G1 Special. He should definitely be more knowledgeable (and hopefully excited/invested) for the product because it has literally been his job for the past year to do commentary for the AXS show.
WELP~! :lol:

Deman93

Post by Deman93 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Deman93 wrote:I'm hoping that Jim Ross doesn't need bullet points to stay caught up with the product considering that him and Josh Barnett are basically marathoning through 2017 so that AXS fans are caught on NJPW before the G1 Special. He should definitely be more knowledgeable (and hopefully excited/invested) for the product because it has literally been his job for the past year to do commentary for the AXS show.
WELP~! :lol:
Well...shit haha :lol:

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:06 am

I understand that it didn't work out for a Flagship podcast this week. I feel robbed not knowing 1-10 where Rich and Joe are on the Punjabi Prison match excitement level.