VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks & Schedule, Slammiversary, GFW & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks & Schedule, Slammiversary, GFW & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:58 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast Rich and Joe talk about the sale of Global Force Wrestling to Impact Wrestling, why Jeff Jarrett may be the greatest businessman in pro wrestling history and much more. We then move onto Impact Wrestling's Slammiversary 15 PPV as we preview this weekend's event and discuss the unbelievable, actually good build to the PPV. Last but not least, we review NJPW's G1 Climax 27 blocks, go over the entire G1 Climax schedule and do our last preview for this weekend's NJPW G1 Special in USA.

phpBB [audio]

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... wrestling/
AB:

Garuda

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks & Schedule, Slammiversary, GFW & more!

Post by Garuda » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Fun word choice saying P.J. Black "fell off the planet"

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am

Thank you for the Exile on Badstreet shoutout, the show is still active BTW.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am

PJ Black once claimed he taught himself how to wrestle. I give it to anybody who leaves WWE on their own terms but I just never enjoyed this guy's wrestling.

Enjoyed the Impact breakdown.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:50 am

I don't know how true that is suplex, because he was around at the FWA Academy for a couple of years.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Danwaka wrote:I don't know how true that is suplex, because he was around at the FWA Academy for a couple of years.
Oh totally. I meant to add that claiming to be self-taught in wrestling is precisely the kind of thing that makes you sound like a total douche. I mean maybe your trainers sucked but it still feels like a weird thing to claim.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Garuda wrote:Fun word choice saying P.J. Black "fell off the planet"
Happy accident.

Well, not so happy. People do keep bringing up his injury and while that's definitely taken him out of the game it wasn't like he was setting the world on fire prior.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm

You guys talked about the lowest quarter in TNA history. You guys noted that it was the first quarter of 2017, a quarter "built around the Broken Hardys." I would debate that that quarter was "built around" them though. This was after The Final Deletion, Delete or Decay, and that whole impact episode that took place in the compound. In fact, the Hardys left before the end of the quarter (in February!). So unless I'm reading into that statement wrong, I'm not sure how you can, with a straight face, assure that Jan-March 2017 was "built around" the Hardys in any way. It certainly wasn't as "built around" them as the second half of 2016 was.

Not saying the core thesis of the Hardys being a meh draw is wrong, I just don't think this particular argument has any merit. I mean they only wrestled 5 times for TNA in that quarter, and their entire storyline at that time was built around them going around and winning titles on the indies! I mean, they were featured more in ROH then they were in TNA!

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 pm

suplexberry wrote:Oh totally. I meant to add that claiming to be self-taught in wrestling is precisely the kind of thing that makes you sound like a total douche. I mean maybe your trainers sucked but it still feels like a weird thing to claim.
I think Omega claims the same thing, at least up until he got to Harley Race and then Deep South.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

PJ Black and Adam Rose (or whatever he is going by today)...both definitely fell off the cliff in different ways. Used to love their two segment mid-card workhorse matches in old school NXT.

You look at JUICE, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, Trent...even Sami Callihan and Chris Hero (just to expand the examples)...there is a pretty good formula in place for WWE releases to find their way back in the WWE with higher stock then when they left and not only raise their stock, but legitimately get better in the ring.

PJ Black wasn't in a bad position early on...but yeah, I dunno wtf happened to him before he jumped off a cliff. Technically, he should be featured a ton in LU right now, considering at this point in television Mundo is the champ and he's apart of his faction, but yeah.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:PJ Black and Adam Rose (or whatever he is going by today)...both definitely fell off the cliff in different ways. Used to love their two segment mid-card workhorse matches in old school NXT.

You look at JUICE, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, Trent...even Sami Callihan and Chris Hero (just to expand the examples)...there is a pretty good formula in place for WWE releases to find their way back in the WWE with higher stock then when they left and not only raise their stock, but legitimately get better in the ring.

PJ Black wasn't in a bad position early on...but yeah, I dunno wtf happened to him before he jumped off a cliff. Technically, he should be featured a ton in LU right now, considering at this point in television Mundo is the champ and he's apart of his faction, but yeah.
It is quite striking how much LU fell off a cliff in terms of relevance during Season 2. I just recall how impassioned people were when it wasn't 100% clear it was coming back..and now how few realistically care. The guys who are LU mainstays who don't work many other places have become quite diminished in the last few years. Even Ricochet would be probably be in the same position if not for his New Japan work.

Black was always a tad bit overrated in my mind and was easily eclipsed as a high flyer once WWE started signing Independent guys. Terrible what happened to him...

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm actually enjoying LU now that it has come back from the break. First part of Season 3 was atrocious. The break was well timed, tbh. Come back fresh. Clean up the Mundo-Mack program (which I liked), moved right into the Cueto Cup (which, again, I'm enjoying, but I'm a sucker for tournaments) and the build up for Mundo v. Rey has been oddly well done.

LUs #1 issue is that its tape delayed so far in advance, they can't make adjustments to booking when they find lightening in a bottle or they realize dudes are far more over then they presumed they'd be. Biggest issue was obviously Pentagon, but Fenix, Puma, Mil, Cuerno, SoH, Ivie, etc. were all super in Season 1, but they passed them up for new talents in Season 2 before they even had a chance to understand how big all of the above would be, and by the time they realized it, they were jobbing them all out. They overshot with Sexy Star, new addition Jeff Cobb, Rey Horus, and other secondary characters that never connected.

Worst thing they are doing...Dinosaur Tribe. Worst fucking gimmick I've seen in a long time. Just terrible. They gotta go away.

TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Post by TCMitchell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:03 am

DeAngelo Williams has been a free agent since March, so well before the Impact/GFW signing.

Also, his mom won't be ordering the PPV, Joe. She died a couple of years ago in a somewhat public battle with breast cancer. DeAngelo was fighting Goodell last year, because he wanted to wear pink all year to honor her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 am

You know who's like the one guy who has benefited from SZG being back? Kawato.

Dude has spent nearly half a year against Despy and Taka in a million tags, usually alongside a vet like Liger and those tags have really highlighted him and he's gotten better and better as the year has worn on. I think it was a Korakuen tag in March before Sakura Genesis which had this six man tag and Kawato had this incredible fucking hot tag sequence that the crowd was like molten lava for. This was a Road To six man, second match on the show, and the crowd was all in Kawato. It was kinda nuts. I remember Purocast talking about it at length.