Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode 2): PROGRESS, BOLA & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode 2): PROGRESS, BOLA & more!

Post by Robareid » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:25 pm

With Arnold out after being mysteriously taking a Bad Luck Fall off of a balcony Rob and Oli bear the full load of covering a stacked month of British wrestling. Topics include the heavy European representation in this year’s Battle of Los Angeles, the two great title matches on PROGRESS Chapter 20, previewing next month’s Chapter 21 show and the hectic month full of shows in store for RevPro.
Note: This podcast was recorded prior to PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles event, which took place this past weekend.
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... bola-more/

I did less editing on this one compared to the first episode, because I think I over edited the first episode, so I'm hoping this one has somewhat of a better flow of conversation (especially once we hit our stride, listening back the opening sounds a little awkward) even if there's a few more 'um's and 'er's left in there. Would love some feedback though.

themib

Re: Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode 2): PROGRESS, BOLA & more!

Post by themib » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Any reason why this hasn't shown up on Podcast Addict yet?

Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member

Post by Joe Gagne » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Haven't listened yet, mostly because three hours is a really long time for a podcast. I liked the first one and it was a good length, this one just seems ominous. It might be better to release more frequent shows at a shorter length, but others may disagree.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:36 pm

yeah, if you have 3 hrs worth of content in a month, I'd say a 1.5 hr show every two weeks is the way to go. The nature of the show is such that you want people who might not be super familiar with the theme checking it out. A 3 hr commitment might run some potential listeners off.

That said, I'll be listening regardless. I'm avoiding BOLA spoilers so any idea of when you started BOLA talk on this (or is it scattered throughout?)

Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member

Post by Joe Gagne » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:40 pm

They recorded the show before BOLA, just previewing the Europe guys in the tourney, so unless they have a crystal ball I'd say you're safe.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Nice!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:53 pm

themib wrote:Any reason why this hasn't shown up on Podcast Addict yet?
A few people have been having an issue with Podcast Addict but it seems to be working fine on every other podcast app. I'll look into it.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, the show was recorded pre-BOLA but we didn't want to release it in a clash with the flagship so pushed it back a bit. No spoilers to be seen. :)

In regards to the length, yep that's a fair criticism, even though if they're subscribed to this podcast network they're probably used to really long wrestling podcasts, but you definitely bring up some good points. To tell you the truth we didn't plan on going so long; we were kind of aiming for roughly the same length as last time. While we did have a bit more on the docket in terms of shows we thought, since we wouldn't have the initial introduction to what the podcast would be about and we weren't going to reiterate the lengthy explanation on Jimmy Havoc's PROGRESS character arc which both took up fair chunks of time, that we'd end up in roughly the same ballpark time wise. That obviously didn't happen, and we ended up recording just over three hours which I edited down to the two hours fifty you see before you. Towards the end you'll notice we even rush through some things as we realise just how long we've gone.

As you mentioned, we want to make the show friendly to new/non-hardcore fans of UK wrestling and going so long isn't supportive of that aim. So we may end up recording more regularly and keeping individual show time down, although I have a feeling that if we went twice a month we'd end up doing closer to two two hour podcasts rather than one three hour one. But yeah, bi-weeklyish is probably the way this'll tend, logistics depending.

Oli Court
VOW Staff Member

Post by Oli Court » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:18 pm

We definitely thought this one would go shorter than the first, but we ended up going much longer and I'm still not completely sure how that happened. Going bi-monthly (2 times a month, not once every two months a la BoJack Horseman's snack baskets) would help keep it at a less intimidating length, but I fear we may run out of things to talk about if it's a particularly slow month. December for instance won't have many shows to discuss, and I don't think we'd drag two shows out of it. As Rob said, we'd most likely end up with two two hour shows rather than one three hour one, and I don't know if that's any more ideal. It's certainly something to think about though, and probably what we will end up doing, at least during busier months.
For now, I'd suggest play the podcast at x1.25 speed if you can.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Even though it was somewhat long, I enjoyed the discussion. I really liked the breakdown of the UK/European BOLA participants too.

I know Rob touched on this very briefly in the opening of Episode 1, but I think a more in-depth discussion of the UK indy scene prior to the current boom would make for a fascinating topic in a slower month.

On that note... As an American, it's very interesting and exciting to see the UK domestic scene taking off. I was giving it some thought and wondered why we're seeing this boom period in the UK right now, and I think there's several factors going into it:

1) The overall rise of the independents in the US have had a trickle down effect. While there were plenty of independent promotions before ROH, the fact that they penetrated the wrestling bubble and carved out a niche is pretty amazing. And though the business model has obviously changed since the early to mid 2000s, the fact that there were companies outside of WWE creating "stars" (in relation to market size at least) helped the wrestling scene transform. Which leads me to my next point...

2) I might be going out on a limb here, but having wrestlers in the early 2000s like Doug Williams, Jonny Storm & Jody Fleisch create some buzz in the US likely had some carryover effect in the UK (then Nigel McGuinness a bit later). While PROGRESS & RevPro are currently the top promotions, I remember watching matches from places like FWA, 1PW and IPW:UK with some of those aforementioned guys. I'd say there's a fairly large generation of wrestlers that have popped up in the last 10 years who may have seen those guys succeed in the states - but instead of necessarily going over to the US, the UK scene has steadily grown as a reaction to the influx of talented guys popping up in the UK.

3) The biggest factor in the independent boom now is the easy access to products worldwide - that's not an original thought, but it certainly bears repeating. It's never been easier to watch or get into following independent wrestling, which is a great thing for all companies. I think it does segment the market slightly as it forces companies to find an even smaller niche now that there are so many options, but I think we've seen that helps focus each particular product.

This became much longer than I intended, but it was just something I'd been kicking around and I'm interested to see what others have to add to the discussion. Keep up the great work guys!

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks man, and yeah, with us probably going twice monthly in some of the slower months they'll definitely be room for that type of discussion. Glad you're enjoying it.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Timestamps courtesy of Oli:

0:00:00 - 0:01:26: Intro
0:01:26 - 0:08:54: Brits (and Tommy) in BOLA
0:08:54 - 0:26:20: Preview of the Euro guys’ preannounced BOLA matches
0:26:20 - 0:35:35: BOLA Predictions and Dream Matches
0:35:35 - 1:19:41: PROGRESS Chapter 20 Review (Part 1)
1:19:41 - 1:24:12: Scurll’s future direction in PROGRESS
1:24:12 - 1:36:49: PROGRESS Chapter 20 Review (Part 2)
1:36:49 - 1:49:45: PROGRESS shows in Manchester/New schedule structure
1:49:45 - 2:03:06: PROGRESS Chapter 21 Preview
2:03:06 - 2:05:20: Forum stuff
2:05:20 - 2:12:59: London-centric/ICW/wXw
2:12:59 - 2:16:53: RevPro TV
2:16:53 - 2:23:35: RevPro Portsmouth Guildhall Preview
2:23:35 - 2:26:26: RevPro Sittingbourne Preview
2:26:26 - 2:30:55: RevPro Cockpit TV Taping
2:30:55 - 2:37:56: RevPro Broxbourne Preview feat. Ricochet vs John Morrison
2:37:56 - 2:46:55: RevPro Southampton Preview/Big Damo fantasy booking
2:46:55 - 2:50:47: Look ahead to October/Outro
Last edited by Robareid on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:14 pm

enjoyed the fuck out of Scurll at BOLA, same with Ospreay and End.

Galloway overdelivered imo.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Good to hear. I thought Scurll as somebody who could very much go either way so I'm glad to hear he showed his best on this big and new stage for him.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Enjoyed the show alot lads. Great job!

Thanks for the shout-out for the wXw stuff.