Music of the Mat Episode 8: Dragon Gate Heel Units

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
strikamura

Music of the Mat Episode 8: Dragon Gate Heel Units

Post by strikamura » Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Blehhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! In this episode of Music of the Mat, Chris and Andrew are joined by Open the Voice Gate’s John Carroll to discuss the themes of Dragon Gate’s heel units! The heel units are a massive part of Dragon Gate’s rich history, so it’s only fitting that Chris, Andrew, and John talk about their entrance themes. From the early antics of Crazy MAX in Toryumon to the contemporary villainy of VerserK, every heel unit theme is on the board…. yes, even Deep Drunkers. Shine up your big blue box and don’t misplace the protein powder; this episode proves that being bad never sounded so good.

AudioBoom:

YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... HBe3NVJHB1

Empiresk

Re: Music of the Mat Episode 8: Dragon Gate Heel Units

Post by Empiresk » Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Great episode. I remember I podcast John did over the past 18 months and it was him, Mike or Jae that said the your first DG Heel Unit will always stay with you. I started watching after Kobe World in 2015 and VeserK formed shortly after and that theme will always stay on my playlist. Such a absolute banger.

Speaking of Millennials, Flamita uses his DG theme all over Mexico so if you catch a grimy DTU show on the Lucha Sticky you will be in for the surreal site of Flamita coming out in a dusty arena to Muuuhhhlenials.

Starshine

Post by Starshine » Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 am

Great show, guys. Hope you do another one covering the rest of the units.

The into to Wolfish Soldier is the same as the distorted vocal part after the "NEW WORLD(!)" yell. It's: "Only of a-a-a person force. New World."

My guess is that it's a weird translation that's supposed to mean something like: A new world can only be created by our own force. Which fits the original theme of VerserK taking over Dragon Gate by force.
Your signature here.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Wed May 03, 2017 10:00 am

The way Dragon Gate incorporates its history and storylines into its production and presentation is astounding. It makes me feel jealous on behalf of other companies.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Wed May 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Starshine wrote:The into to Wolfish Soldier is the same as the distorted vocal part after the "NEW WORLD(!)" yell. It's: "Only of a-a-a person force. New World."
Whoa, that makes complete sense now! Thanks for putting that together. John should be very happy.

Stavros

Post by Stavros » Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am

This was very fun, especially the genesis of the Blood Generation theme, great example of telling a story through the music both in Dragon Gate and here in the show.

Running back through the rest of your stuff now guys. You might need to convince me when it comes to the nWo episode though.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 am

I discovered something really cool (well to me anyway) during this episode, that I had no idea about. :D

I've got quite a few Thee Michelle Gun Elephant albums in my record collection but I never knew that GWD was used as the M2K theme during the Toryumon days.

It has to be said I discovered TMGE after they broke up and I've not seen any of the Toryumon stuff, as I'm someone who got into Dragon Gate through the ROH relationship during the mid 2000's. Still though it was interesting to find this out, even if it admittedly would have been more awesome to experience two great things coming together actually at the time- but things don't always happen like that.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat May 06, 2017 10:42 pm

This is a great show, it took me three days to binge-cast all your episodes but I enjoyed all of them. Can't wait for the Ruthless Aggression Show.

BTW, if you guys are still wondering why David Finlay doesn't have a Wikipedia Page, someone tried to make one, but it was deleted because he's apparently not notable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Finlay_Jr.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 am

Stavros wrote: You might need to convince me when it comes to the nWo episode though.
The nWo show RULES. Trust this. Listen to it.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

You guys made me kick myself so hard for not shelling out those 3000+ yen for the CD I could've bought at the DG show I went to in April. Music is such a huge part of this company, it now feels more appropriate than buying a t-shirt to support them.

Great ep as usual. Loved how John brought so much historical context and perspective to the whole thing.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Tue May 09, 2017 5:25 pm

BackLash wrote:BTW, if you guys are still wondering why David Finlay doesn't have a Wikipedia Page, someone tried to make one, but it was deleted because he's apparently not notable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Finlay_Jr.
Simply unacceptable!

Thank you all for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the episode. John was an amazing guest host.