VOW Flagship: Mike Sempervive talks Sakura Genesis

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Ferrante207

Re: VOW Flagship: Mike Sempervive talks Sakura Genesis

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:18 am

suplexberry wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:Semp talks about Kushida moving up to heavy as if it's a foregone conclusion. Is this the case?
I wondered about this, too. People keep doing and while I'm sure it's applicable to some guys, other guys, especially Japanese guys, I can see staying smaller and being good in that division, and hopefully lifting that division back up to its former height. "Moving up" is not an inevitability IMHO.
Size matters a lot less these days. I enjoy the JR/heavy distinction but I know I'm in the minority with my muscle mark/size fetishization ways. I would be into a more bad-ass larger iteration of Kushida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 am

I'm the total opposite from you. Was always a mark for the smaller guys (Rey Mysterio, Christian, Eddie Guerrero, though Eddie was always in amazing shape), then brought back to wrestling by Daniel Bryan so the smaller guys always have my heart, which is why I'd be fine with KUSHIDA and Hiromu staying as jr heavies. But that's my bias, I don't know if it has any basis in reality.

But I agree that size matters a lot less now, and there's a lot of Kenny Omega size guys who can fit into either category without problem, and a lot of conversation to be had about the arbitrariness of those boundaries (Trent Barretta the tallest jr, Chase Owens who works one tour as jr, one as a heavyweight).

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:32 pm

suplexberry wrote:I'm the total opposite from you. Was always a mark for the smaller guys (Rey Mysterio, Christian, Eddie Guerrero, though Eddie was always in amazing shape), then brought back to wrestling by Daniel Bryan so the smaller guys always have my heart, which is why I'd be fine with KUSHIDA and Hiromu staying as jr heavies. But that's my bias, I don't know if it has any basis in reality.

But I agree that size matters a lot less now, and there's a lot of Kenny Omega size guys who can fit into either category without problem, and a lot of conversation to be had about the arbitrariness of those boundaries (Trent Barretta the tallest jr, Chase Owens who works one tour as jr, one as a heavyweight).
And Benoit became my favorite wrestler when he got all gassed up and grumpy. I agree the JR distinction is getting more arbitrary. I actually wish it was enforced more heavily. How the fuck is ZSJ wrestling a 250 lb shogun?

It's tricky in promotion with legit big men. Size doesn't matter in DG bc everyone is tiny. Tangential but that's why the influx of big guys is making evolve hard to watch for me, every match is David v Goliath.

Can we agree that Kushida needs to at least lose the vest and the happy to be here affect? Those scream "not a star" to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am

Great show I've never listened to this Mike Sempervive guy and I'm glad to say he was an absolute treat. An audible passion for wrestling always makes for great listening.

My takeaway from Ishii and Omega was that it was all about furthur establishing the One Winged Angel. Omega had to beat him and do it with that move to build, hopefully, to the Okada rematch.

Seeing Kawato get love is awesome, after having that tag match with KUSHIDA I was all on board and really enjoyed his Lions Gate match as well. If he's never more than a jobber then I'm fine with that, he's great at it and he'll be warming up crowds for years to come. It's a very important job and lots of wrestlers can't do it half as well.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 am

Ferrante207 wrote: Can we agree that Kushida needs to at least lose the vest and the happy to be here affect? Those scream "not a star" to me.
Yeah, I love KUSHIDA but his character is kinda dorky. All for it if it appeals to kids but in a division with increasingly big characters in Hiromu, he needs a character revamp. The most interesting he's been as a character has been when he showed some heelishness against BUSHI in Osaka last year.

Somebody on r/njpw suggested that KUSHI skip a tour this year and tour with ROH instead. Honestly sounds like something that could revitalize him a bit, and something he'd love to do himself, being such a fan of performing in front of NA crowds, and ROH could probably use it too, right now.