VOW Flagship: MANIA IS ABOUT MOMENTS, Fastlane, NJPW 45th, ROH

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
DXvsNWO

Re: VOW Flagship: MANIA IS ABOUT MOMENTS, Fastlane, NJPW 45th, ROH

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:16 am

I'm actually really shocked at how high CM Punk is, and that's coming from someone who really likes him. My ballot was actually very close to Joe's, with regards to CM Punk & Homicide. I had them at 24th & 25th respectively. CM Punk is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers (as you can tell by my choice of profile picture), and I LOVED the Summer of Punk storyline, but what really dropped him for me was his longevity (or lack thereof) in ROH. He had a lot of great matches and big moments, but he was active in the company for less than three years. I guess, in that regard, I sort of followed the philosophy that (I believe) Joe Gagne brought up on a recent DKP Podcast covering this project, as it pertains to putting guys with longer tenures against guys with shorter tenures. Homicide was just a case of a guy who I had to put in the Top 25, but only barely made it into my front half because I felt like other guys deserved to be ahead of him. Yes, he was a pivotal guy in the golden years of ROH, and I liked him, but I don't think I would've put him any higher than I did.

I'd actually be curious to see if I was the high-man on Jimmy Jacobs (who I had 8th) and the low-man on Mark Briscoe (who I had 26th).

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 am

Brock v Roman at 31 was a great match. Another great show lads. Best wrestling podcast goingn

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am

Shawn Michaels was age 40 when he faced Vince McMahon at WM22. The remaining 4 years of his career ended up permanently cementing his legacy as Mr. WrestleMania.

That said, the following 8 programs would've been vastly superior for Styles this year:

Finn Balor, Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton, Shinsuke Nakamura, Undertaker, Seth Rollins, Brock Lesnar

My hope is that Styles wins next year's Royal Rumble match in Philly, and then challenges Lesnar at WM34.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Found myself agreeing with Joe about 90% of the time here. Good show.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

And the ROH iPPV is $35 freaking dollars. For a show main evented by Christopher Daniels in 2017.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:37 pm

OMGlancy wrote:And the ROH iPPV is $35 freaking dollars. For a show main evented by Christopher Daniels in 2017.
Which version of the show?

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
OMGlancy wrote:And the ROH iPPV is $35 freaking dollars. For a show main evented by Christopher Daniels in 2017.
Apparently that's the iPPV. That's how it was priced on their website.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/ippv

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

supersonic wrote:Shawn Michaels was age 40 when he faced Vince McMahon at WM22. The remaining 4 years of his career ended up permanently cementing his legacy as Mr. WrestleMania.
I think we can agree we're talking a different level of "40" though. Michaels took 5 years off. Got his body back in decent shape and was able to have the next chapter of his career.

We don't know that Styles will be able to do that. Sure, he MAY. It's likely he WILL but you'd be hard-pressed to find many wrestlers at age 40 with more wear and tear on their body than Styles who has worked a crazy, high-flying, high-impact style for nearly 20 years now.

Again, I'm not predicting injury for Styles but it always has to be the in the back of your mind. On the plus side, Styles obviously takes care of his body more than 40 year olds of yesteryear so you have to attribute some of the longevity there, but the Michaels comp that you and others bring up doesn't hold a bunch of water given HBK's extended time off.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

OMGlancy wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:

I swore these things used to be cheaper, but, nope. FITETV and ROHwrestling.com iPPV is $35. Wow.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
OMGlancy wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:

I swore these things used to be cheaper, but, nope. FITETV and ROHwrestling.com iPPV is $35. Wow.
The VOD of their regular shows is usually $15. I think the iPPV's were cheaper back in the day when there were on Go Fight Live. I pulled up my old GFL account and saw that I only paid $15 for Final Battle 10 and $20 for both nights of Honor Takes Center Stage in 2011. Maybe it's the cost of having streams that are actually watchable, I don't know.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

OMGlancy wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
OMGlancy wrote: Apparently that's the iPPV. That's how it was priced on their website.

The VOD of their regular shows is usually $15. I think the iPPV's were cheaper back in the day when there were on Go Fight Live. I pulled up my old GFL account and saw that I only paid $15 for Final Battle 10 and $20 for both nights of Honor Takes Center Stage in 2011. Maybe it's the cost of having streams that are actually watchable, I don't know.
This is fishy as fuck because they were splitting that $15 or $20 with the hosts. In theory, they are keeping the entire $35 for themselves by hosting it themselves. You would think it would have been more expensive when they were forced to split.

I'm sure someone over there has done the math. Maybe they figure they could do a few more buys at $15 or $20, but not enough to make up the difference in revenue from charging $35.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
OMGlancy wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
This is fishy as fuck because they were splitting that $15 or $20 with the hosts. In theory, they are keeping the entire $35 for themselves by hosting it themselves. You would think it would have been more expensive when they were forced to split.

I'm sure someone over there has done the math. Maybe they figure they could do a few more buys at $15 or $20, but not enough to make up the difference in revenue from charging $35.
Surely it's more to do with not undercutting the TV Providers, which isn't something they had to think about for ippv only shows?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
OMGlancy wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:

There's also PlayStation 4, which I think is in the $30-$35 range as well.

To be fair though, I'm a ringside member so I got a discount on the iPPV. It came out to around $26, but that's still a lot of money for an iPPV.

LK3185

Post by LK3185 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm

its weird to air a PPV on tv and expect to get the same price online.. unless you get to keep the show forever

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:16 pm

JB Gremlin wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
OMGlancy wrote:

Surely it's more to do with not undercutting the TV Providers, which isn't something they had to think about for ippv only shows?
Good point.