VOW Flagship (8/12): Call for Questions!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship (8/12): Call for Questions!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:37 am

We're light on major topics so it's question time. Anything you want Joe and I to answer or discuss, put it here!

Oli Court
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship (8/12): Call for Questions!

Post by Oli Court » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:44 am

Out of the 20 G1 participants, where does Nakamura rank on in-ring performance in this tournament? Does he make the top 10?

br26
VOW Staff Member

Post by br26 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:49 am

Have either of you watched or followed Tough Enough this season, thoughts on who should win.

also how creepy is it that they keep saying Josh has "it", without ever explaining what "it" means (though it basically means he's tall) which is all everyone ever said about the last winner, who got sent back to NXT and was never heard from again (Andy Levine)

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 am

Biggest pet peeve at a wrestling show?

I'd like an update on Lanza's Tinder/POF/JDate profiles if possible

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 am

Do you think with Tama Tonga performance on the G1 undercards that he deserve a title shot like for example the NEVER open weight title
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

Griggsy

Post by Griggsy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:55 am

Do you think that the biggest benefits from all the G1 cards are the amount of experience gained by the young lions and how much all the non-G1 competitors have gotten over with the crowds?

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 am

What direction booking wise do you think ROH will go in at All Star Extravaganza with Jay Lethal defending both of his belts against reDragon members on the same night?

Thoughts on the Brock/Undertaker storyline and how wise is it for WWE to give Taker his win back?

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 am

Feel free to answer all or ignore:

Do either of Kojima or Nagata have a "legends run" (ie. A nostalgic run to a title shot with a legit chance to win) in them/will get said "legends run" before they retire?

I've thrown this one out before - given that the current time frame seems to be about 10 years from becoming a name on the Indy scene to making a mark in WWE, what Indy or international stars currently on the upswing do you see making a mark 10 years from now?

Anyone else notice a lot of the NJPW upper card look to have spent a fair bit of extra time in the gym preparing for the G1?

It's clear the plan for the G1 was to move some people up the card and get others ready to do so - how successful have they been, with whom, and why?

Finally - Jay White - is he the best young lion ever, and why is he?

Really final question - Alan4l is starting to organize a Jaoan trip to see Invasion Attack in April....how awesome does that sound?

Jove

Post by Jove » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:47 am

How do you "make you voice heard" as a wrestling fan in 2015?

I hear different concepts. Are any valid? Are all valid?

There's the speak with your wallet concept. Basically, if you don't like it, don't show up. A favorite argument of the vacantly smiling, preening longhair Patreon busker. It's part of his larger "lobotomized sycophantic audience" philosophy, but on its own is it valid? It seems to me that a silent negative simply makes for a disproportionately loud positive. And a silent positive makes for dead fucking silence. Am I wrong?

There's also the hijack the show concept. Hasn't been shown to work.

There's the internet outrage concept, which they pretend to be unaware of.

There's the social media paper tiger concept, which seems to get the most attention because WWE wants to appear cogent of immediate trends, even though they're easily fabricated and cursory as fuck.

There's also the method where you simply cheer who you want but you don't try to overrun the show necessarily. I'm not sure what to call it. Positive/Negative reinforcement concept? Seems to have some success, traditionally.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 am

br26 wrote:Have either of you watched or followed Tough Enough this season, thoughts on who should win.

also how creepy is it that they keep saying Josh has "it", without ever explaining what "it" means (though it basically means he's tall) which is all everyone ever said about the last winner, who got sent back to NXT and was never heard from again (Andy Levine)
I will answer everything we didn't get to on the show, despite the show being about 5 hours long (not really) (maybe).

I don't pay any attention to Tough Enough. Like, zero attention.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:27 am

InYourCase wrote: I'd like an update on Lanza's Tinder/POF/JDate profiles if possible
Tinder has dried up. Small town. Same for POF. No longer a member.

Currently doing some volunteer charity work, which was 100% a way to meet women and 0% giving a shit about the charity work. I have a theory on this. Remind me next week and i'll talk about it.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:28 am

Quentin Moody wrote:What direction booking wise do you think ROH will go in at All Star Extravaganza with Jay Lethal defending both of his belts against reDragon members on the same night?
He should beat them both to continue the mega push, but I could see him dropping the TV title here.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:37 am

Shining Wiz wrote:Feel free to answer all or ignore:

Do either of Kojima or Nagata have a "legends run" (ie. A nostalgic run to a title shot with a legit chance to win) in them/will get said "legends run" before they retire?
We talk about Nagata's strange year on the show. I'd love to see something like this happen for Kojima, because he can still go at the highest level, but I think it's highly unlikely. Might be smarter anyway. Only so many title shots per year, can't waste too many on 45-year olds.
I've thrown this one out before - given that the current time frame seems to be about 10 years from becoming a name on the Indy scene to making a mark in WWE, what Indy or international stars currently on the upswing do you see making a mark 10 years from now?
Assume you are looking for super young people, not people on the verge. Trevor Lee & Flamita feel like no brainers.

Two Texas guys that people probably have never heard of. Ricky Starks could be in NXT right now. Does everything that WWE values (selling, facials, character work, works VERY safe) at a high level. Sammy Guevarra. He's only 19 or 20, and is IMMENSELY talented. Only thing stopping him is his lack of maturity.
Anyone else notice a lot of the NJPW upper card look to have spent a fair bit of extra time in the gym preparing for the G1?
heh
It's clear the plan for the G1 was to move some people up the card and get others ready to do so - how successful have they been, with whom, and why?
Shibata, Naito, Goto have obviously been booked very strong, but those are obvious. Tonga & YOSHI-HASHI have been given every chance to shine. And they have.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:38 am

Jove wrote:How do you "make you voice heard" as a wrestling fan in 2015?

I hear different concepts. Are any valid? Are all valid?

There's the speak with your wallet concept. Basically, if you don't like it, don't show up. A favorite argument of the vacantly smiling, preening longhair Patreon busker. It's part of his larger "lobotomized sycophantic audience" philosophy, but on its own is it valid? It seems to me that a silent negative simply makes for a disproportionately loud positive. And a silent positive makes for dead fucking silence. Am I wrong?

There's also the hijack the show concept. Hasn't been shown to work.

There's the internet outrage concept, which they pretend to be unaware of.

There's the social media paper tiger concept, which seems to get the most attention because WWE wants to appear cogent of immediate trends, even though they're easily fabricated and cursory as fuck.

There's also the method where you simply cheer who you want but you don't try to overrun the show necessarily. I'm not sure what to call it. Positive/Negative reinforcement concept? Seems to have some success, traditionally.
We gave a rushed answer to this, and it wasn't really what you were looking for. Sorry in advance.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:36 am

Might be too late but BJW Sumo Hall?
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP