VOW Flagship: WWE UK Tourney, NJPW Expansion & Chappin Chappin

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: WWE UK Tourney, NJPW Expansion & Chappin Chappin

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
ch3cooh wrote:What's funny is that for all the shit that PWG has gotten for the last year or two over not evolving their business and getting in on the sweet sweet streaming money, they'll probably end up seeing the smallest disruption to their business. By staying small, and not trying to take over the internet with live streams they will probably still be able to book everyone.
great point
Curious how many times they've turned down a WWE offer to broadcast their product or create some sort of relationship...

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:03 am

Or other offers.

PWG is happy doing what they do and have no expectations of expanding. They are happy to exist in their own corner running their own shows on their terms. That's why it's always humorous to me reading people online throwing out suggestions about how they'd "fix" PWG's business. Completely oblivious to the fact PWG doesn't have the same mindset some of these other companies they reference for comparison. It's why PWG has been running for 13 years & could easily be around another 13 if they choose. Whereas the current hot indy that gets their product out within 24 hours on VOD & talks about how much they are expanding won't exist in 2 or 3 years and will only be a footnote like any fly by night indy group.

One European promotion working with WWE right now is still under the assumption the partnership will lead to them becoming a major force in UK wrestling. It's mind-boggling really. As if WWE is going to assist in someone else's business growing & anything other than the WWE brand name being recognized when people think pro wrestling.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:15 am

I mention WWE, Rob, because why in the hell would those guys want to be associated with any other operation other than the WWE? The company is self-sustainable...unless you're hitting the home run, why play ball with these johnny-come-latelys unless the plan is to get out completely with a nice paycheck?

Its great Gabe gets a nice big pay day, finally...but I'm also of the belief Gabe is trying to finesse his way into the WWE, leaving the Indie shit to the birds with cash in hand. I think the rest of these backwoods promotions joining up with FLOSLAM care not about a sustainable product, they want to cash out.

I can at least understand why these other companies want to get involved with the WWE though...they just forget how the Vince model works and they are going to get okey doke'd.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:42 am

Muscle Cat burial, shaming Sext Rollins, and breaking down Chappin' Fuckin'....
I love this fuckin' show.

Am I the only one hoping g Shibata gets back together with this girl cuz this playful Chappin Fuckin thing is kinda cute.

Like Joe's Muffinbutt girls. Side note: one of Yujiro's girls legitimately goes by Muffin Ass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 am

Right, WWE would absolutely love to have PWG's library and will probably eventually get it barring some sort of shocking development. Without going into details obviously I was just noting it's not just WWE who have shown interest in gaining access to the library or full ownership. There are even wealthy individuals, not companies, who perhaps see business to be had in buying up the library at some point & then flipping it to WWE for a profit down the road.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:24 am

Just hope PWG can retain their "Switzerland" status and has a similar level of access to the array talent seen at the last few BOLAs while those around them fight and cut their nose off to smite their face.

PWG may become even important for wrestlers in terms of creating a bidding war between promotions, to be seen by scouts etc.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Excellent show and felt like such a quick three hours. Chappin' Chappin' and Sext Rollins were third hour highlights.

The WWE, FloSlam, New Japan, ROH, Brit Wres fall out is absolutely mind mindbogglingly intriguing for the future of 2017. There could be some even more mad turns in the coming weeks.

For example, I've already put down money on trains and hotel next weekend to go down to London for PROGRESS and wXw. Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, Trent Seven and Mark Andrews have already been pulled for a podcast event on Saturday and I have seen on Twitter, can't remember who said it, that some WWE UK talent are wanted to be at ringside at NXT.

Dunne, Bate and Seven are all billed for wXw on Saturday and Dunne is defending the PROGRESS title on Sunday. Imagine if WWE pull them and say they want them in San Antonio with this short notice. PROGRESS could lose alot of face and people like me who travel, and there is a few people I know who are travelling long distances, probably won't be committing so much time and money in PROGRESS again.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:09 pm

The Chappin' Chappin' segment is the perfect example of why I started clipping the flagship. I was literally in tears I was laughing so hard on the train yesterday listening to it. Coming soon to the Clipz Thread.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:15 pm

rovert wrote:Just hope PWG can retain their "Switzerland" status and has a similar level of access to the array talent seen at the last few BOLAs while those around them fight and cut their nose off to smite their face.

PWG may become even important for wrestlers in terms of creating a bidding war between promotions, to be seen by scouts etc.
PWG is the perfect spot for wrestlers...its a place that Regal or whomever can swing by and watch the "best of" and report back. I mean...how many wrestlers in this "new era" of PWG (say...past...4 years or so) have looked bad in Reseda? Curt Hawkins? Das about it.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm finally watching the UK Tournament...I will say this...all four semifinalists looked like they belonged, including Wolfgang, who is pretty new to me. The two-semifinals and finals were all over ****, IMO. Awesome four hours of TV.

Once again, I am floored at how "right" the WWE can get shit like this, yet, look completely lost for 95% of the main roster nonsense. For fucks sake, can someone please start showing their main roster talents as real human beings? Its the winning formula in 2017. Reigns would be the star they want him to be if they presented him as the beer drinkin bro family man that is trying to uphold the legacy he is. The smug promos would be relatable. The "bad ass" persona would come off much better as well. Its why Ambrose is more of a draw. He is completely unrelatable because he is a fucking weirdo...but at least its a little authentic.

Also...MORE vignettes showing these dudes real selves...there has never ever ever been a bad promo package with dudes working out...its instantly relatable to fans. Working hard to obtain a goal. John Cena's comeback tour would be so much more effective if you saw him training to get back to the winning form. The Rock running up the Orange Bowl...Ron Simmons running up the stairs at Doak before his match with Vader, Triple H rehabbing...I'm already invested upon return and the big match. Its the Rocky formula, man...it works every.time.

Also, I've said this before...Pete Dunne is everything Sami Callihan wishes he was and is presented fucking amazingly in this tournament. Should have been the winner. Rematches between he and Bate would have been ALL THE MONIES.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 pm

If shin splints are an old guy thing, I'm absolutely screwed. Had them on and off since I was 20 years old, and I'm 29 now.

Wolfgang really shocked me in the UK tournament. I've seen plenty ICW in my time (enough to know that the product isn't for me), and the guy never stood out in any way at all. He just looks like a dime a dozen scuzzy indie guy you'll see on any show across the country, and I've never seen him do anything particularly interesting in the ring either. Perhaps that's a result of ICW's booking, because he looked great in the tournament. I completely turned a corner on him across the two nights, and I thought the story they told with him being too beaten-up and broken down (the nose, the knee, etc.) to get past Bate was excellent.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Leave it VOW to show bias towards New Japan even when it comes to sexting!

And the empty bottles wouldn't be so egregious if they weren't clear. Get a couple of the green tinted ones, put some water in and there ya go.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 am

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:Regarding New Japan expansion in America... with the number of talents you need to run full time in America, I wonder if Kidani is looking at the bloated New Japan roster right now and seeing potential there. Hell, they had to shuttle Suzuki-gun off to NOAH for two years because they didn't have room for them in New Japan proper. The G1 tournaments didn't even in drop in quality without guys like Suzuki, Archer and Smith Jr. They've also got three highly regarded young lions in Komatsu, Tanaka and White on excursion that they'll have to integrate at some point.

From a talent perspective, they might ALREADY have too many people on the books right now to effectively use everyone. You guys have talked on previous podcasts about the potential to give entire units tours off and that will help keep them fresh. I think from a talent perspective, they could probably already run separate companies if they wanted to do it.

I think getting decent TV, running the right buildings and cities are much bigger challenges to them breaking into America than depth of talent.
This is kind of what I thought as well. I see Kidani trying to turn this California territory into what NOAH was for NJPW for the past 2 years. On top of that... This could almost act as a "base of operations" for all the Young Lions on excursion. Let's say they did throw together a weekly show. They could fly in the Young Lions on excursion as well as some select NJPW-proper talent.

Also, I know everyone is completely dismissing Kidani for a naive view of American television, but I think he has a strong point when he talks about how reliant WWE is on TV rights fees. That's the largest percentage of their revenue. If cable DOES collapse in the coming years, WWE is in a world of shit. NJPW not so much. Now, I don't think cable is collapsing in 5 years like Kidani says... but at the same time, with how fast everything is changing, I'm not prepared to bet the house on that.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 am

Murrr wrote:If shin splints are an old guy thing, I'm absolutely screwed. Had them on and off since I was 20 years old, and I'm 29 now.

Wolfgang really shocked me in the UK tournament. I've seen plenty ICW in my time (enough to know that the product isn't for me), and the guy never stood out in any way at all. He just looks like a dime a dozen scuzzy indie guy you'll see on any show across the country, and I've never seen him do anything particularly interesting in the ring either. Perhaps that's a result of ICW's booking, because he looked great in the tournament. I completely turned a corner on him across the two nights, and I thought the story they told with him being too beaten-up and broken down (the nose, the knee, etc.) to get past Bate was excellent.
I remember that VICE (a YouTube documentary & news channel) did a video about ICW & Grado claimed that Wolfgang was one of the most underrated wrestlers going about (I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the podcast as I don't listen to it, sorry Joe & Rich). I didn't think much about it at the time. After watching the UK tournament, he just might be right. Wolfgang vs Tyler Bate was incredible given that it was a short match. They fit in some great storytelling & action.

Also, I had feeling that Tyler Bate was going to be a star in UK scene, I just didn't think it would happen so quickly. I remember watching a match of his in Australia (it was probably the first singles match that I saw him compete in) & he had a star quality about him. He just has a great charisma & presence about him. The interesting thing was that he worked as a heel in that match rather than a babyface.

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:43 pm

I also worry about Kidani being so agressive with WWE. At least there's little chance of them becoming a sad parody of WWE constantly throwing 6 figures at their cast offs like TNA did. At one point I think they were releasing guys just to see if Dixie hired them.

I was one of the chaps who was impressed by Tucker. I thought he was incredibly smooth and made all of Tyler's offence look really good. Pulling moves out of tight spots, draping himself between the top rope and apron to sell a forearm. Really reminded me of Tye Dillenger. He was chappin' good.