VOW Flagship: WWE UK Tourney, NJPW Expansion & Chappin Chappin

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: WWE UK Tourney, NJPW Expansion & Chappin Chappin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:23 am

Topics on this week's Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast include an extensive breakdown of WWE's UK Championship Tournament. We discuss emerging stars Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, commentary throughout the night and recap each and every tournament match.

In the same vein, we breakdown the latest news with regards to WWE, FloSlam and their increasingly tenuous situation and what it means for the UK wrestling scene as a whole. We then move to Japan to discuss NJPW owner Kidani's expansion plans including American television, touring America and more.

Last and certainly least, we spend far too much time examining Katsuyori Shibata's cheating scandal and his sexting form — did Shibata's sexts get the Joe Lanza stamp of approval? You'll have to listen to find out!

Be sure to support our sponsor Dollar Shave Club! Get a one month trial of any of their high-quality razors for only $1 by signing up at our exclusive link http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/voices.

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... sion-more/
AudioBoom:

phpBB [audio]

suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: WWE UK Tourney, NJPW Expansion & Chappin Chappin

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for the credit on Tea O'Five Live, Joe. I'm gonna give my leeengthy thoughts on the BritWres Turmoil 2017, and not even touch chappin' chappin' or Kidani.

The best of Trent Seven has been in his home promotion, Fight Club Pro, which I checked out after BWR put it over huge. It's a very strong style, grimy warehouse-running promotion out of Midlands who have had some really good events, superb atmosphere and Trent is the absolute star of it. One of Trent's matches in there ended up on my MOTY list just due to the sheer energy in the building, which amazingly translated even over VOD, combined with an incredible match that ran at a breakneck pace. It was a story match (ie you had to watch a few events to get it) but man was it good. It's also where I first took note of Dan Moloney and Pete's still their champ and Tyler's a big babyface. It's essentially the origin story of the British Strong Style - these guys came to PROGRESS and were like "You say you're strong style? Fuck off, we're strong style."

I love that I got into the UK scene when I did because had I been late, I would've hated coming into the battlefield that the scene will become over the next year. The next BWR Euro Draft podcast is basically just an honest reflection of the scene at this point. Really sucks for Conners, who was heavily featured on WCPW, which has money behind it. He feels like the "we don't want you, we just don't want others to have you, either" hire, more so than the no name guys or the youngsters like Moloney or Johnson (who's only 2 years into wrestling, he started out as just a guy who liked going to PROGRESS shows), who work regularly but aren't big names yet. It's utterly depressing to a fan, though, because there's no telling of the strings WWE can pull for no apparent reason, especially if they get all their buddy promotions under their thumb. If they don't want ITV talent to work PROGRESS, can PROGRESS say no?

I think you guys are 100% right that Ospreay and Scurll are better off without these 19k deals. Both are gonna sail through the storms of 2017 safely and go into 2018 stronger than ever, both financially and assumably in terms of booking, too. I suspect this is going to give surprising career boosts to unsigned talent who are really good like Ryan Smile and Travis Banks, who both are now working these FloSlam-related shows but also RevPro and various other smaller indies. 2017 was gonna be the year of the next group of talent rising through the ranks anyway but this is going to expedite that by a lot.

You know who's an interesting case study? Nathan Cruz. Dude's done shots with NXT and EVOLVE, but isn't ITV-contracted. He's strongly a character-based wrestler so you know his end goal has to be WWE. He's also one of the few full-time wrestlers in the UK. So why didn't he take his deal? You have to think he was offered one.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Personally for the G-1 Specials, I think they could fill the show with their junior heavyweight guys and they'd could fill it up.

The Young Bucks vs. BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi, Ricochet vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, KUSHIDA vs. Rocky Romero could be the top three matches and that could draw a thousand fans easily, IMO. May throw in El Desperado vs. Will Osprey, a SZKG six man versus Trent Baretta and Gedo and Jado, etc..

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 pm

when they were talking about prospects in WWE like London and Dupree the one that always pops up in my head is Chris Masters. He was in the WWE pretty young and is today is 34
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 pm

What's funny is that for all the shit that PWG has gotten for the last year or two over not evolving their business and getting in on the sweet sweet streaming money, they'll probably end up seeing the smallest disruption to their business. By staying small, and not trying to take over the internet with live streams they will probably still be able to book everyone.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm

You talked about this a little bit... If it's true that PROGRESS, ICW and OTT are going to show up on the Network, that'll be the end of seeing guys like Scurll, Ospreay and Drew Galloway in those promotions. They may have more leverage in the long-term and will be fine in terms of bookings, but that might leave those promotions hard-pressed in the short term. It's entirely conceivable that Ospreay's current arc in PROGRESS could get cut short if they end up on the Network. ICW has built a lot of their major storylines around Galloway, and he could be cut out entirely due to this deal.

I doubt that WWE will allow any of those guys to appear on their platform while they have deals with ROH, NJPW or TNA and essentially give some exposure to competitors. To a smaller degree, those same promotions may not like the fact that their contracted guys could show up on the Network.

As you mentioned, the UK scene will have to build some new names in order to replenish the stars who will be out in the cold. Of all the UK promotions, RevPro may come out looking the best if they end up being the safe haven for some of these bigger names.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Regarding New Japan expansion in America... with the number of talents you need to run full time in America, I wonder if Kidani is looking at the bloated New Japan roster right now and seeing potential there. Hell, they had to shuttle Suzuki-gun off to NOAH for two years because they didn't have room for them in New Japan proper. The G1 tournaments didn't even in drop in quality without guys like Suzuki, Archer and Smith Jr. They've also got three highly regarded young lions in Komatsu, Tanaka and White on excursion that they'll have to integrate at some point.

From a talent perspective, they might ALREADY have too many people on the books right now to effectively use everyone. You guys have talked on previous podcasts about the potential to give entire units tours off and that will help keep them fresh. I think from a talent perspective, they could probably already run separate companies if they wanted to do it.

I think getting decent TV, running the right buildings and cities are much bigger challenges to them breaking into America than depth of talent.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 pm

ch3cooh wrote:What's funny is that for all the shit that PWG has gotten for the last year or two over not evolving their business and getting in on the sweet sweet streaming money, they'll probably end up seeing the smallest disruption to their business. By staying small, and not trying to take over the internet with live streams they will probably still be able to book everyone.
great point

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Don't know why anyone gave them shit for that. It was then and still is the safest model for an indy to follow. I only give them shit for not booking a better or bigger venue. Also Joe, you guys mentioned Dempsey but completely ignored Ryback. If this is gonna get as ugly as you say, that is a legit person who could command dollars as an ex-WWE name.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:48 pm

If independents become the Bull James / Ryback / Adam Rose haven then these will be truly dark times.

Also, goes without saying but the Chappin' chappin' discussion was made for the Clipz thread. This was the third houriest third hour ever. Podcasts are like wrestling cards in reverse - you open with something hot that everybody tunes in for, you end with the grimy dark match with only half the audience in their seats.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:51 pm

suplexberry wrote:Also, goes without saying but the Chappin' chappin' discussion was made for the Clipz thread. This was the third houriest third hour ever. Podcasts are like wrestling cards in reverse - you open with something hot that everybody tunes in for, you end with the grimy dark match with only half the audience in their seats.
Oh man, when I was listening to it on my laptop in the kitchen I was so glad my parents have terrible English and weren't hearing Joe go chapping and fucking on the broadcast from the TV room.

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:50 pm

suplexberry wrote:If independents become the Bull James / Ryback / Adam Rose haven then these will be truly dark times.

Also, goes without saying but the Chappin' chappin' discussion was made for the Clipz thread. This was the third houriest third hour ever. Podcasts are like wrestling cards in reverse - you open with something hot that everybody tunes in for, you end with the grimy dark match with only half the audience in their seats.
So it's like 205Live

e: Just got to Rich recognizing the Seth Rollins sexts. Fucking amazing

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:59 pm

If that was the worst show y'all have ever done, I don't ever want to hear a good show from you again. I actually had to pull my car over I was laughing so hard.

Anyway, just some brief thoughts on the topics this week.
- I've been banging the drum for Tyler Bate since the first time I saw him. It's been a ton of fun to see all the attention and praise he's gotten this week.
- I expect if Kidani's whole 75-25 ratio thing does indeed come to pass, the big English-speaking stars they'd be looking to build, in addition to Omega, would likely be Jay White and Michael Elgin as far as who's in the company right now, right?
- I can confirm that if they book Okada/Tanahashi for the Long Beach shows, I'm buying a plane ticket from Texas immediately.
- The way New Japan has handled the Shibata situation further convinces me that he's winning the G1 this year, or at least the NJC. Hard to believe they'd go about it the way they have if they didn't have huuuuge plans for him.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 pm

ATTN KIDANI: BIG BANK TAKE LITTLE BANK. LISTEN TO RICK ROSS YOU FOOL.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 pm

I really like Danny Burch/Martin Stone...and Rich was on point...he is so much better as the grizzled veteran enhancement talent...great look now that he has lost weight, too. NXT should use him more often.

NXT misses veteran bully enhancement talent since A-Ry was sent off to pasture...rip rip.