VOW Flagship: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Preview

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
noggy

Re: VOW Flagship: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Preview

Post by noggy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:22 pm

Danwaka wrote:I would rather they elevate the Junior Heavyweight title, Joe.

That's hard to pull off. Remember, in Japan NJPW's biggest tv exposure is a half hour weekly show not the full show broadcasts. There's only so many guys they can showcase so it makes the most sense to focus on championships that the same group of people can compete for.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 am

Absolutely loved the show. That's the kind of preview I was expecting. This got me even more hyped for Wednesday that I was before. Kinda disappointed that you didn't touch DG and NOAH, but I guess you will do it next week or 2 weeks from now, hopefully.

The best thing about the show (Wrestle Kingdom) is that aside from Cody and Ibushi every outcome is in doubt. It's ridiculous how good this show is booked in the sense that no one knows who is going to win, which is often not the case with NJPW big shows. So yeah, now going back to having fun (it's already 2k17 here), but I can't even express how much I am hyped for WK11. I feel like we're getting an another all time great show that could top 9 and 10.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:21 am

noggy wrote:

That's hard to pull off. Remember, in Japan NJPW's biggest tv exposure is a half hour weekly show not the full show broadcasts. There's only so many guys they can showcase so it makes the most sense to focus on championships that the same group of people can compete for.
There's KUSHIDA, BUSHI, Ricochet, Will Osprey, Jushin Thunder Liger and Hiromu Takahashi. I don't doubt they could draw on the B-Shows with that core-six.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Danwaka wrote:
noggy wrote:

There's KUSHIDA, BUSHI, Ricochet, Will Osprey, Jushin Thunder Liger and Hiromu Takahashi. I don't doubt they could draw on the B-Shows with that core-six.
It would take work. BOSJ is the one major tournament/tour where Korakuen struggles to sell out, and usually doesn't (even for the final). They exprimented with a KUSHIDA/BUSHI main event at Desturction in Tokyo, and it bombed, even with a NEVER match underneath (Shibata/FIsh).

I'm not writing it off, but it would take some work. History in Japan says it's an uphill battle. NJPW does have the best and most charismatic juniors by far, and could provide the strongest support underneath, so they are the right company to try.

noggy

Post by noggy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:33 am

Danwaka wrote:
noggy wrote:

It's an issue of time, not talent. I managed to find a place where the TV Asahi weekly show is uploaded and watched a decent bit of it. Those 15 or so minute junior title matches get edited down to like 5 minutes and for non-title matches they only show the finishing sequence or completely skip it. You can't expect someone to draw houses when a large part of your audience is barely exposed to them. And it's not a poor time management issue, a roughly 22 minute show after commercials with a decent amount of time allotted for promos just isn't enough time.

Gedo's lack of love for the junior and tag divisions is a common criticism but if you see what he has to work with in term of television his booking makes a lot of sense. He only has the time to properly focus on the core group of heavyweights so his only real choices are to do what he has been doing with the Heavyweight, Intercontinental and NEVER titles or use the All Japan model of having the top heavyweights constantly involved in the tag title scene. Getting two or three separate groups of wrestlers the screen time required so they can be expected to draw houses is out of the question. They would either need the weekly show extended back to an hour or full shows to air on channels people actually have for that to be viable.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:36 am

Danwaka wrote:
suplexberry wrote:You guys under-sold the intrigue of Nakanishi vs Henare. If Nakanishi's retiring at the Dome, he could put the young Kiwi over. If he wins, he's obviously going to be in the final 2 of the Rumble against Nagata in a rematch for the ages. Either way, I'm into this.
Co-sign on this. Nakanishi is great, Henare is great. The New Japan undercard just has a charm to it that a lot of feds don't have.
This didn't turn out to be four stars or anything but I feel vindicated being hyped for this because it was a very fun watch, great pace. Henare is coming along great. Nakanishi looks good for the Rumble.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Just watched Ospreay v Ricochet from OTT and yeah, NJPW dropped the ball not having that match on this card. It's a Wrestle Kingdom match, its just that the juniors don't get enough focus. It would've draw western buzz for sure.