VOW Flagship: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Preview

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Preview

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:46 am

It's a one topic show this week as Joe and Rich break down New Japan Pro Wrestling Wrestle Kingdom 11. A discussion of each and every match, the build to the event, predictions and a bit of a statistical year in review highlight the preview.

Will Kenny Omega walk out of the Tokyo Dome as champion? Can Tetsuya Naito put a bow on his breakout 2016 with a definitive win over Hiroshi Tanahashi? What matches suffered with some suspicious booking? What's the dark horse match that not enough people are talking about? Could this be the greatest Wrestle Kingdom ever? All these questions and much more are answered in this massive preview.

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/1 ... 1-preview/
AudioBoom:

suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Preview

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:30 am

When I dl'ed the show, iTunes told me it can't verify the identify of castfire.com server and thought it might be disguised as another server (I'd have taken a screencap but the notification was in my local language, not English). That might be the root of your iTunes issues? Anyway, looks to be downloading just fine. Excited to listen.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 am

I loved hearing Joe thoroughly and viciously smack down the Naito marks. Though, I think Joe spent too much time with the Naito thing instead of talking about the match itself, his expectations, comparing it with the other main event and AJ/Nak, etc. Maybe he did talk about it at length, but so much more time was spent pretty much reading his essay than previewing the match that I pretty much forgot what he said about the match itself.

Regardless, the show was great. My expectations are so friggin' high for this show.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 pm

A recap of Joe's description of the baby's head

edit: I'm also having trouble downloading with the Podcasts app on my iPhone and when I opened it in the iPhone browser it said it couldn't verify the castfire server.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

I would rather they elevate the Junior Heavyweight title, Joe. Also, moving both NEVER titles over to the Lion's Gate would be a bit overkill, and just having the NEVER Openweight gone would leave the other one looking awkward. Not to mention that if Suzukigun comes back, then you've got a lot of veterans on the shows to make use off. I think Suzuki could hold the title in 2017.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 pm

For those having issues downloading this week's show. We're aware of the issue but it's currently out of our control. We've reached out to our host AudioBoom but apparently the week between Christmas and New Years isn't the best time for tech support.

A few potential solutions are listening via AudioBoom at Downloading the MP3 direct from there or to attempt to use different podcast apps. The issue doesn't seem isolated to one particular app but we've had reports from people that it does work, so it's hard to pinpoint what it is. Regardless, it's a server issue and that's not under our control so there's not much we can do but offer workarounds.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm

It took me 4-5 tries on PocketCasts to download this morning.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Chris Charlton translated another killer Naito promo right after this episode dropped, where Naito basically called Tanahashi sad and implied it doesn't matter who he's up against in this match or even who is in the main event because he's really the main star. This one rivalled Shibata's truth bomb on Goto in terms of adding something to the match, and Naito vs Tana was already pretty layered and interesting to me. A guy with momentum vs a guy in a downward spiral, but then there's also how Naito originally seemed like Tanahashi lite and re-invented himself and is now the hottest commodity in the company, meanwhile now it's Tanahashi who is changing his theme tune and gear and all this other stuff to try and make a difference.

I feel like Okada vs Omega is the one with the greatest potential of wowing from a pure in-ring perspective but Tana vs Naito is going to be a richer story for all their past interactions and the way these characters will interact at this very new juncture of both their careers. I don't know if some Omega/Okada promos are about to drop soon which will inject more story and character intrigue into that match, but right now that's how I see it.

KUSHIDA vs Hiromu is absolutely one of my most anticipated matches on the card. I hope they get time, but Hiromu seems like the kind of wrestler who could pack a lot into a 10 minute match if that's all they get, and KUSHIDA is obviously no slouch either.

You guys under-sold the intrigue of Nakanishi vs Henare. If Nakanishi's retiring at the Dome, he could put the young Kiwi over. If he wins, he's obviously going to be in the final 2 of the Rumble against Nagata in a rematch for the ages. Either way, I'm into this. Oka who.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:35 pm

suplexberry wrote:You guys under-sold the intrigue of Nakanishi vs Henare. If Nakanishi's retiring at the Dome, he could put the young Kiwi over. If he wins, he's obviously going to be in the final 2 of the Rumble against Nagata in a rematch for the ages. Either way, I'm into this.
Co-sign on this. Nakanishi is great, Henare is great. The New Japan undercard just has a charm to it that a lot of feds don't have.

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:52 pm

I would have SANADA take over Shibatas role with the NEVER title after he's done with it. Maybe he wont draw as well initially but I'm confident that it wouldn't take long to get him there.

Naito has become one of the biggest names in wrestling in the last two years. I figure someone must be pushing him. The best point was that it's not a zero sum game. In an industry that needs as many stars as it can get so it just can't be like that anymore.

Super excited for the Jnr title match. I've really enjoyed both KUSHIDA and Hiromu this year and hopefully this will turn into an epic feud.

An Omega win seems so much more valuable than an Okada win bit maybe thats me veiwing it through western eyes. So fingers crossed.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm only 15 minutes into the show thus far, but as a Euro, this Spice Girls banter is tremendous. Joe's correct appraisal of Ginger as the best identifies him as a man of exquisite taste. Baby is overrated.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 am

All of the Spice Girls aged pretty well and (hot take?) all looked better in their late 30s than they did in their 20s when they were popular...Geri Halliwell definitely the sexiest, even today.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 am

I enjoy any show that puts over KUSHIDA. He must be recognized. excellent worker, excellent babyface, first half of 2016 there was no one better. Even in the much maligned Super J Cup, his individual performances were excellent in every match. That's what I love about KUSHIDA, the man works closer to his ceiling than his floor in every match he's in, if his matches are weak its almost always because of his opponent.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

These LIJ and Naito facts are awesome.

driesberrens

Post by driesberrens » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:40 pm

The thing with the Ospreay vs Ricochet match is that it was primarily the opening sequence that got trending as a gif on twitter. In the gauntlet match they can have a similar sequence and still create the same buzz for the casuals. I believe that they can still create the "OMG you have to see this crazy Japanese match"-type clickbait articles featuring the gifs alone without having the singles match.