VOW Flagship (December 22): Call for Questions!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: VOW Flagship (December 22): Call for Questions!

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:28 am

skeach101 wrote:Would a G1 Climax style tournament work in WWE?

I was thinking about this the other day. That gap between Summerslam and Survivor Series is usually the worst time for WWE. Why don't they run a big tournament? They could have a Raw block and a Smackdown block. Then the finals could take place at Survivor Series. Hell, maybe even use the Survivor Series name.
It would be terrible. A WWE G1 would be loaded with WWE style booking and storylines, which would hold zero appeal to most people reading this.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:30 am

packerman120 wrote:Who is the most promising young lion out of all of the Japanese companies?
Depends how you define young lion and what you mean by promise. Ben-K won't be the best worker but might wind up the biggest star within his own universe. Oka will get pushed super hard in NJPW no mater what and will be given a chance to be a mega star. Hyou Watanabe looks like a potential great worker, as does Nomura (BJW Nomura). There are more. Japan is loaded right now.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:31 am

Frank Olson wrote:A long while back on the NJPW forum thread Joe vaguely mentioned something about a European wrestler possibly appearing in this past year's G1. Obviously that didn't come to pass, but I'd be curious to know who that was supposed to be.
Big Damo. He signed with WWE.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:32 am

TGD287 wrote:1) What about Danks?
2) You talked about improvements coming to this show next year. Ready to talk about it? I'm sure Reddit doesn't care, so don't worry if it changes.
3) AAW taking over the LaSalle territory. Thoughts?
2. It's a new way to listen to the show and could potentially lead to massive growth. Won't matter to a lot of people who already listen beyond "wow, that's cool, good for you guys".

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:A long while back on the NJPW forum thread Joe vaguely mentioned something about a European wrestler possibly appearing in this past year's G1. Obviously that didn't come to pass, but I'd be curious to know who that was supposed to be.
Big Damo. He signed with WWE.
Oh wow, that would've been cool. I don't know where Damo would've fit in long-term in NJPW, since Fale already has the big monster role locked up, but Damo would've been an interesting guest star for the G1 tour. I don't follow the European scene as closely as I should, but based on the matches I've seen from the York Hall Rev Pro shows I've definitely been impressed with what I've seen from Damo. Would've been cool to see him mix it up with guys like Big Mike, Shibata, Goto, etc. But I remember really liking his match vs. Nakamura from one of last year's Rev Pro shows, so maybe they can replicate some of that in WWE.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:23 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Danwaka wrote:How highly do you both rate Masakatsu Funaki and Taiyo Kea in terms of their importance to AJPW during their runs, and how important was Funaki in early 2013?
Kea was always a useful utility guy to have around, and I loved his early Mossman stuff.

As far as Funaki, I really liked the Nagata/Stack of Arms feud circa ~2011. Underrate awesome feud.
Mm. But how high did you rate those dudes going in 2013? I mean Funaki didn't exactly carry Wrestle-1 on his shoulders as a draw...