205 Live, TLC, AJPW Sumo Hall, WON HOF & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

205 Live, TLC, AJPW Sumo Hall, WON HOF & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Since we missed last week, we have to pack two weeks of news, notes and takes into a three-hour window. Joe and Rich talk WWE 205 Live and if the concept is a failure, what to do with Cruiserweights moving forward and much more. Also in WWE they chat Sunday's WWE TLC PPV, James Ellsworth and AJ Styles' all-time great year. Other topics include four new entrants in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame, ROH Final Battle 2016, AJPW's Sumo Hall show and a must-see Dragon Gate 10-man tag that could be the most important match in the company's history.

Support our sponsor Mack Weldon!

The most comfortable socks, underwear, undershirts, polos and sweatshirts you will ever wear and they make a great gift for the holidays. Use promo code VOICES to get 20% off your next order at http://www.MackWeldon.com

VOW Link: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/1 ... l-won-hof/
AudioBoom Link:
Direct MP3:

strikamura

Re: 205 Live, TLC, AJPW Sumo Hall, WON HOF & more!

Post by strikamura » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm

All in on Noam Dar zipping himself out of history.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 pm

JBL caused my echo to start playing music a couple weeks ago.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:18 am

Joe enamored himself with the BritWres crowd earlier this year but now the heel turn comes, by shitting on all the boys who made it past CWC. Brutal, but hilarious, with the compounded damage of mispronouncing Gallagher's last name (which admittedly everybody did before the CWC because the man never bothered to correct anybody on it - it's galla-her).

But it got me thinking. I have only seen Dar in PROGRESS, where he was used sparingly and then not at all after ICW dates kept him on the other side of the island. Everybody seemed to like him from word one, so I liked him because he was over and got good crowd reactions, and had good matches. PROGRESS is a very reaction-heavy and very fair, giving crowd so if you can't get a peep out of them, you would have to be the dirt worst. As far as why he's not working in WWE, I wonder. Part of it has to be this thing where indy crowds are just different. So a guy comes in and does what he normally does, doesn't hear any reaction, but keeps doing it because it got him over back in the day. Sometimes what they do is well-honed and will work in front of any crowd. Other times, you have to change it up.

Indy crowds can be brutal when it comes to lack of skill but also forgiving when it comes to characters. I don't know what Noam Dar's character is, beyond what he likes (Star Wars and Oasis), but that's not really a character, that's just a partial list of interests found on a dating profile.

Loved the Alexa moment. Loved the ROH discussion. On your guys' recommendation I'm trying to get into Dragon Gate. So far the names and factions and history are basically all word soup to me, but the matches themselves are fast-paced and easy to enjoy. I suspect it'll take a while for me to get comfortable and a longer while for it to click on a story-telling level. I did enjoy the praised ten-man tag, and felt bad for the young'uns.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:24 am

The only way to tackle DG is to just do it. I don't suggest going backwards. As expressed on the show and on Twitter, NOW is the time to jump in, and I suggest 11/10. This is a clear pivot point for the company. Tozawa is gone, rookies are emerging, Lindaman just turned, the vets can still go.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am

Will do. Nothing I've seen so far has been boring, all fast-paced and fun to watch. I'll try not to focus on what intricacies I'm no doubt missing and just focus on what I like and who I want to see more of (so far that list is YAMATO, Ben-K and Shingo).

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:12 am

suplexberry wrote:Will do. Nothing I've seen so far has been boring, all fast-paced and fun to watch. I'll try not to focus on what intricacies I'm no doubt missing and just focus on what I like and who I want to see more of (so far that list is YAMATO, Ben-K and Shingo).
I'll say that keep visiting iheardg whenever you're confused and if that doesn't help then feel free to ask anything on the DG thread.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 pm

"Let's not get sidetracked this week"
(1:30 into the podcast)
"That Paul McCartney Christmas song is the worst song ever."

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm

ayaashm wrote:
suplexberry wrote:Will do. Nothing I've seen so far has been boring, all fast-paced and fun to watch. I'll try not to focus on what intricacies I'm no doubt missing and just focus on what I like and who I want to see more of (so far that list is YAMATO, Ben-K and Shingo).
I'll say that keep visiting iheardg whenever you're confused and if that doesn't help then feel free to ask anything on the DG thread.
Seriously, you have no better resources than iheartdg.com, our DG thread or any of our Open the Voice Gate podcast hosts:

https://audioboom.com/channel/open-the-voice-gate

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm

mlev76 wrote:"Let's not get sidetracked this week"
Well, c'mon, did you really think we'd be able to stay on topic. I'd say we did remarkably well getting BACK on topic after that brief diversion though. Much better than usual

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
ayaashm wrote:
Seriously, you have no better resources than iheartdg.com, our DG thread or any of our Open the Voice Gate podcast hosts:

https://audioboom.com/channel/open-the-voice-gate

I watched my very first DG show in 2016,Dead or Alive.That show was probably,one of my favorite shows of all time. It made me a DG fan but what kept me a fan was this forum,IheartDG and OTVG helping me out with little intricacies that I missed on my first watch. I cannot recommend the Dragon Gate 101 series enough. They helped me so much. John has my eternal thanks for it.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:55 pm

AJ Styles is definitely a WON HoF'r.

Should already be in. With his NJPW and WWE runs...it should be a wrap.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 pm

suplexberry wrote:Joe enamored himself with the BritWres crowd earlier this year but now the heel turn comes, by shitting on all the boys who made it past CWC. Brutal, but hilarious, with the compounded damage of mispronouncing Gallagher's last name (which admittedly everybody did before the CWC because the man never bothered to correct anybody on it - it's galla-her).

But it got me thinking. I have only seen Dar in PROGRESS, where he was used sparingly and then not at all after ICW dates kept him on the other side of the island. Everybody seemed to like him from word one, so I liked him because he was over and got good crowd reactions, and had good matches. PROGRESS is a very reaction-heavy and very fair, giving crowd so if you can't get a peep out of them, you would have to be the dirt worst. As far as why he's not working in WWE, I wonder. Part of it has to be this thing where indy crowds are just different. So a guy comes in and does what he normally does, doesn't hear any reaction, but keeps doing it because it got him over back in the day. Sometimes what they do is well-honed and will work in front of any crowd. Other times, you have to change it up.

Indy crowds can be brutal when it comes to lack of skill but also forgiving when it comes to characters. I don't know what Noam Dar's character is, beyond what he likes (Star Wars and Oasis), but that's not really a character, that's just a partial list of interests found on a dating profile.

Loved the Alexa moment. Loved the ROH discussion. On your guys' recommendation I'm trying to get into Dragon Gate. So far the names and factions and history are basically all word soup to me, but the matches themselves are fast-paced and easy to enjoy. I suspect it'll take a while for me to get comfortable and a longer while for it to click on a story-telling level. I did enjoy the praised ten-man tag, and felt bad for the young'uns.
Dar was a bit of strange choice for the WWE. People forget how young the guy is, he's like 22, so WWE snapping him up before he's really had the chance to find his character is a bit weird. I mean, what would people be saying about Party Marty 5 years ago if the WWE had snapped him up. Probably the same thing they're saying about Dar now. Like you already said, his "character" in the indies was a couple of interests, which gets him nowhere in WWE.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Gallagher is what they hoped ZSJ would come across. I'd bank on it. He's fine for what they want imo. you can't want this show to be what you want rather than what they want then judge it like this. I've fought this fight for years, and I think I'm finally defeated. They don't want a good wrestling show. They want marketable and engaging personalities good enough to get a fanbase to push merch and get fans and not look bad in the ring.

Re: HOF, I don't view it as voters waiting for finality but rather the rules of falling off the ballot and the number of candidates thinning out.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
mlev76 wrote:"Let's not get sidetracked this week"
Well, c'mon, did you really think we'd be able to stay on topic. I'd say we did remarkably well getting BACK on topic after that brief diversion though. Much better than usual
Just busting balls. And Joe is correct on the despicably terribleness of that song.