VOW Flagship: Goldberg, AJPW Sumo Hall, TakeOver & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:22 am

The Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast comes early this week as the Thanksgiving Holiday bumps the show up a few days. Don't fret, we're chucked full of topics from an insane week of pro wrestling!

Joe and Rich talk Survivor Series 2016 including the shocking main event between Goldberg and Brock Lesnar. We stay in WWE land with a discussion of NXT TakeOver: Toronto, the DIY/Revival Tag Title match and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe. We also cover All Japan Pro Wrestling's upcoming Sumo Hall show, news on Gabe Sapolsky and FIP, Style Battle, Marty Scurll and much more!

Support our sponsor Dollar Shave Club: Get your first month of The Club for free at http://dollarshaveclub.com/voices! Support us this holiday season by doing your Amazon.com shopping through http://voicesofwrestling.com/amazon.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/1 ... over-more/

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: VOW Flagship: Goldberg, AJPW Sumo Hall, TakeOver & more!

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 am

If it sounds like I'm cutting off Rich repeatedly here, it is because there are audio sync issues as we struggle to find alternative recording methods with the downfall of Pamela.

I'm annoyed because I thought this was a very good show, but it comes off like we are constantly talking over each other.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:35 am

You guys should look in to something called OBS or Open Broadcaster Software. Since I've been using it this year it's given me zero troubles as far as my recordings go.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 am

No respect for Styles, Danielson, and Shane for defining moments of 2016.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 am

supersonic wrote:No respect for Styles, Danielson, and Shane for defining moments of 2016.
Shane, yes. Good one.

Styles: Rumble entrance?

Danielson: Have no clue where you are going with this. What am I missing?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 am

The greatest segment in the history of modern televised wrestling.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:59 am

I thought that was 2015. Bad job outta me.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:32 am

Knowing that Rollins and Reigns had to sell for Shane gives me solace that I'm keeping tabs at a distance currently.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:21 am

Oregon is a generally beautiful part of the continent. Also Joe - Portland is the nation's strip club capital.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:If it sounds like I'm cutting off Rich repeatedly here, it is because there are audio sync issues as we struggle to find alternative recording methods with the downfall of Pamela.

I'm annoyed because I thought this was a very good show, but it comes off like we are constantly talking over each other.
Uploaded a new version this morning that hopefully corrects this. Apologies again as we continue to find a permanent solution.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:You guys should look in to something called OBS or Open Broadcaster Software. Since I've been using it this year it's given me zero troubles as far as my recordings go.
We've tried it before. A few times actually. For whatever reason the combo we used of Source-Connect Now and OBS created a very noticeable echo that came through in recording.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

To play Devil's advocate for Kendrick, what separates the more grounded style he works from Dean Malenko and Doug Williams who succeeded doing mostly the same?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:24 pm

BackLash wrote:To play Devil's advocate for Kendrick, what separates the more grounded style he works from Dean Malenko and Doug Williams who succeeded doing mostly the same?
My feeling on that is that they should have established other cruisers before introducing Kendrick, so he came across as something different. I have nothing against Kendrick, I just always saw him as the wrong guy to feature out of the box when trying to get over a new, exciting division.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
BackLash wrote:To play Devil's advocate for Kendrick, what separates the more grounded style he works from Dean Malenko and Doug Williams who succeeded doing mostly the same?
My feeling on that is that they should have established other cruisers before introducing Kendrick, so he came across as something different. I have nothing against Kendrick, I just always saw him as the wrong guy to feature out of the box when trying to get over a new, exciting division.
That's just it. It's a new division, it's touted as something exciting, dynamic, different from the norm and it's just not, and Kendrick doesn't make it any different. If anything, as the WWE main roster has evolved into more quick-paced, high-flying work, it looks even more ridiculous when the smaller guys/the cruiserweights work a very slow paced, methodical style.

Even in your Malenko comp there was still something WAY different about what he did versus what the rest of the WCW roster did. Even when Malenko was working a ground-based style, it was still more quickly paced and dynamic than, say, your run-of-the-mill Hogan main event or what The Outsiders were doing.

These days, you have that 10-on-10 tag with heavyweights flying all over the ring, taking guys out and working a frantic pace. Then the cruiserweight come out and work slow and methodical, it just doesn't work. That's not what the division is supposed to be and frankly it's not what it should be.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:57 pm

I do wonder what's the one reason people get upset over ANY hot potato change. Horror memories of Russo booking? It's nice that pro wrestling mostly does long title reigns, and we shouldn't follow the way UFC champions have gone in recent years. But as a simulation of sport, losing a title on your first or second defense is perfectly reasonable.