VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
skeach101

Re: VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Post by skeach101 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Joe Lanza wrote: Good post, I'm stealing some of this

Be my guest, Joe.

Also, two weeks ago you guys were talking about a writeup on Reddit that summarized your post- WK10 discussion. I think you're referring to a post that I did.

Is this what you wanted?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:25 pm

skeach101 wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote: Good post, I'm stealing some of this

Be my guest, Joe.

Also, two weeks ago you guys were talking about a writeup on Reddit that summarized your post- WK10 discussion. I think you're referring to a post that I did.

Is this what you wanted?
Hey, that was you? Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Hey, that was you? Yes, that's the one. Thanks.
Yeah, that was me. I'm in the middle of working on my Ph.D, so I tend to write a lot... sometimes on wrestling topics, but it usually ends up in 1,000 word comments on some random Reddit post that nobody sees, lol. I think you guys have mentioned a few of my other rants in the past... or maybe it was the Purocast guys.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm

skeach101 wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote: Agreed. The only match Okada has left right now is against Ishii, who beat him in G1. And the eventual Shibata match as they've kept them apart. But Omega opens up so many fresh matches. I could even see him killing some of the NJPW dads on lesser cards, the way Okada did in his first run.
Oh absolutely. Nagata vs. Omega is a Dontaku main event if I've ever seen one.
But if the New Japan dads have the Heavyweight scene locked for those first few months, does CHAOS restart the war with LIJ on the IC? And if so, where does that leave Tanahashi and his crew between the dads and CHAOS? Maybe Tanahashi finally gets some tag title time?

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Danwaka wrote:
skeach101 wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote: Agreed. The only match Okada has left right now is against Ishii, who beat him in G1. And the eventual Shibata match as they've kept them apart. But Omega opens up so many fresh matches. I could even see him killing some of the NJPW dads on lesser cards, the way Okada did in his first run.
But if the New Japan dads have the Heavyweight scene locked for those first few months, does CHAOS restart the war with LIJ on the IC? And if so, where does that leave Tanahashi and his crew between the dads and CHAOS? Maybe Tanahashi finally gets some tag title time?
I would be 100% on board with Tanahashi and Elgin having a run with the tag straps.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 pm

skeach101 wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
skeach101 wrote:
I would be 100% on board with Tanahashi and Elgin having a run with the tag straps.
That'd be a hell of an act.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:16 pm

skeach101 wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
skeach101 wrote:

This all depends on whether Tanahashi or Naito is leaving the Dome with the IC strap. Which is why that match is so damn intriguing to me. Nakamura couldn't do it, let's see if Naito can. Man, having 2 titles that change the direction of a company truly is exciting.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:This all depends on whether Tanahashi or Naito is leaving the Dome with the IC strap. Which is why that match is so damn intriguing to me. Nakamura couldn't do it, let's see if Naito can. Man, having 2 titles that change the direction of a company truly is exciting.
I kind of took it as a given that Naito was beating Tanahashi to solidify him as a top guy in a big spot. What's the sell on Tanahashi winning? Genuinely curious, I'd like to go into it thinking both are plausible, if possible.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 am

Garuda wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote:This all depends on whether Tanahashi or Naito is leaving the Dome with the IC strap. Which is why that match is so damn intriguing to me. Nakamura couldn't do it, let's see if Naito can. Man, having 2 titles that change the direction of a company truly is exciting.
I kind of took it as a given that Naito was beating Tanahashi to solidify him as a top guy in a big spot. What's the sell on Tanahashi winning? Genuinely curious, I'd like to go into it thinking both are plausible, if possible.
I'd have Naito win too but they could have a 2-3 match program with Naito winning out in the end the way they did with Nak in 2014. Also, having Okada AND Tanahashi lose to Omega and Naito seems less likely, though not impossible. No babyface wins on top? I don't think it's a given at all. It's Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:59 am

Lawsoncomedy wrote:
Garuda wrote:
I'd have Naito win too but they could have a 2-3 match program with Naito winning out in the end the way they did with Nak in 2014. Also, having Okada AND Tanahashi lose to Omega and Naito seems less likely, though not impossible. No babyface wins on top? I don't think it's a given at all. It's Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Totally fair. Certainly I fell for that during WK9 when Tanahashi went over Okada, so I see what you mean.

I'd respond to the "two heel wins" angle, though, by imagining Naito's win over Tanahashi. It'd be a split crowd for sure, and at the Dome maybe it even skews Tanahashi, but I think the fans go wild when Naito wins. He may be the least babyface against Tanahashi than any other opponent, but him - and even Omega - winning don't feel like "the crowd goes home unhappy." It'd feel like the beginning of an exciting new year, which is an energy that they've fallen into in 2016 with great success.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 am

Garuda wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote:
Garuda wrote:

Totally fair. Certainly I fell for that during WK9 when Tanahashi went over Okada, so I see what you mean.

I'd respond to the "two heel wins" angle, though, by imagining Naito's win over Tanahashi. It'd be a split crowd for sure, and at the Dome maybe it even skews Tanahashi, but I think the fans go wild when Naito wins. He may be the least babyface against Tanahashi than any other opponent, but him - and even Omega - winning don't feel like "the crowd goes home unhappy." It'd feel like the beginning of an exciting new year, which is an energy that they've fallen into in 2016 with great success.

This is a fair point too as both of these men are quite over as heels and have their fans, Omega in Tokyo especially. I do expect both Omega and Naito to win, but neither are locks. Weirdly, I'm more confident Omega will win than Naito. They seem ok with having Naito lose big matches. And Tanahashi at the Dome...hasn't held a title all year...I don't know. They've deemphasized him but he's been on his own journey towards that IC strap, and Tanahashi rarely fails.