VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 am

The Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast returns as Joe and Rich talk a number of topics across the world of the wrestling.

We begin with a breakdown of Dragon Gate's 10/12 show including the 5 vs. 4 Captain's Fall Elimination Unit Disband match and how Dragon Gate connects with you on a different emotional level than any other wrestling promotion. We follow that with a discussion of WWE Hell in a Cell including the rumor Charlotte/Sasha Banks main event, if their match should be a Hell in a Cell, if it should main event and what we can expect from the match.

After that is a lengthy discussion of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame, who we voted for, why we didn't vote for other candidates and who else could find their way into the Hall of Fame this year.

Last but not least, listener questions where we touch on a ton of subjects including Wrestler of the Year votes, Omega vs. Okada at WrestleKingdom, Pentagon Jr.'s long-term viability, BOLA and much more.

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/1 ... questions/

AudioBoom:

ajdb

Re: VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Post by ajdb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:05 am

Good show guys.

I don't really care what goes on last at Hell in a Cell, but lately I've worked myself into the idea that maybe the women should go on last. Sasha's in her hometown and regardless of who wins, it seems really harsh to make someone follow that after the crowd has flipped out at Sasha winning or being crushed if Charlotte wins. I can see them putting KO/Rollins on last though because of the crap that's going to happen which they think is most important.

If anyone cares, if I counted correctly, New Day will break Demolition's record on Tuesday December 13th. What's bad about that is if they want the title switch on a PPV they have to wait until the Rumble unless you subscribe to the theory that both RAW & Smackdown are going to have special episodes between TLC and the Rumble (I think RAW will have to at least, because they have to go from Survivor Series to the Rumble). And yes, from what I can tell Demolition is the legit longest of any tag titles in WWE.

RobViper13

Re: VOW Flagship: Sasha Banks/Charlotte Hell in a Cell, Dragon Gate & Questions!

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:39 am

I feel the opposite about Dragon Gate. Dragon Gate to me is how Sempervive describes watching Lucha Libre. He says sometimes he just wants to turn his brain off so he'll turn on CMLL. When I feel like just watching video game wrestling where I have no attachment to any wrestlers I turn on Dragon Gate. Guys constantly just rotating between stables, wacky stip matches, stable warfare during big one-on-one matches... it's such an easy watch because you can jump in at any time, not know anything about anyone & just enjoy it for what it is.

I used to really love DG and not miss a show but the in-ring just got way too repetitive for me. The guys do largely the same sequences over and over with the same moves. I want to claw my eyes out every time Dragon Kid does that fucking triangle moonsault. For a guy like me who always wants to see something new and be on the edge of my seat not knowing what to expect next the style just began to bore me so I became a very infrequent viewer, mostly just for Flamita stuff. It's a very talented roster but one or two shows per 3-4 months is my limit.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:52 am

Name a bad CIMA match:

That dream match against Styles is one of the most disappointing I've ever seen.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 pm

We talk about athlete's bodies like they are stuck with them. What's to stop Sasha from hitting the weight room/tupp life hard and adding some lean weight? Would adding 20 lbs of muscle affect her in ring speed that much? It may improve her explosion anyway.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:We talk about athlete's bodies like they are stuck with them. What's to stop Sasha from hitting the weight room/tupp life hard and adding some lean weight? Would adding 20 lbs of muscle affect her in ring speed that much? It may improve her explosion anyway.
In main roster WWE, it is super difficult to go through that transformation without, well, aid. We all remember Cody Rhodes coming back from a Mexico trip jacked out of his mind but for the most part they have time to maintain their bodies but rarely transform them. Likewise, does she look like someone that even has the body structure to add on that much mass?

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:We talk about athlete's bodies like they are stuck with them. What's to stop Sasha from hitting the weight room/tupp life hard and adding some lean weight? Would adding 20 lbs of muscle affect her in ring speed that much? It may improve her explosion anyway.
In main roster WWE, it is super difficult to go through that transformation without, well, aid. We all remember Cody Rhodes coming back from a Mexico trip jacked out of his mind but for the most part they have time to maintain their bodies but rarely transform them. Likewise, does she look like someone that even has the body structure to add on that much mass?
This is true. I had a weekend trip and had to subsist on beef jerky, quest bars, and RTD shakes. Road life is really tough. It's almost ideal to hit your cycles in the indies and build that base of muscle before you enter the WWE. As you folks know I am pro androgens. But I don't wanna re-litigate that debate. This is another angle on why WWE should have an offseason. As we know in pro sports, that's always when folks either drop bodyfat or add muscle.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
This is true. I had a weekend trip and had to subsist on beef jerky, quest bars, and RTD shakes. Road life is really tough. It's almost ideal to hit your cycles in the indies and build that base of muscle before you enter the WWE. As you folks know I am pro androgens. But I don't wanna re-litigate that debate. This is another angle on why WWE should have an offseason. As we know in pro sports, that's always when folks either drop bodyfat or add muscle.
Yep. I saw an article and interview the other day with Anthony Davis of the New Orleans Pelicans who added another 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason. He did a similar thing late year and his body looks like night and day between when he came into the league and where he's at now:

You don't see the same in WWE because they simply don't have the time or ability.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:55 pm

I agree that Sasha being the base for Charlotte is not ideal for Charlotte's high spots, but I don't know what Joe is talking about with Sasha not catching people. On the corkscrew moonsault he got it totally backwards. Charlotte clearly was going to miss her and Sasha dove underneath her landing to try to catch her.

They should close the show, because not only is it Sasha's hometown, it's the first women's hell in a cell. That's novelty. Nothing will be able to follow it.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 pm

How did Joe forget the king of Japanese indy sleeze, Ricky Fuji?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Empiresk wrote:How did Joe forget the king of Japanese indy sleeze, Ricky Fuji?
Oh jeez, what an omission. I'm going to edit that question out of the podcast in shame.

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Probally my favorite theme with any Millennials unit theme
Last edited by HeadCheese on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:35 pm

Really enjoyed the show. I don't have the time to really get into Dragon Gate, but I love listening about it from you two. I'll probably take another doomed swing at keeping up with it now.

Also, I have a quick question if either of you care to answer it, just because I missed the question thread. (Have no guilt in skipping it otherwise)

If The Young Bucks were on the HOF ballot this year, how would you appraise their candidacy?

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Garuda wrote:Really enjoyed the show. I don't have the time to really get into Dragon Gate, but I love listening about it from you two. I'll probably take another doomed swing at keeping up with it now.

Also, I have a quick question if either of you care to answer it, just because I missed the question thread. (Have no guilt in skipping it otherwise)

If The Young Bucks were on the HOF ballot this year, how would you appraise their candidacy?
Other than the Bucks, Hardys and the Briscoes is there a post-2000 tag team in America even sniffing the WON HOF?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:01 am

Ferrante207 wrote:Other than the Bucks, Hardys and the Briscoes is there a post-2000 tag team in America even sniffing the WON HOF?
Tough to think of any others who have had a significant longevity, high-end match quality, and/or intensity of fan interest enough to get on the level of candidacy, even with the candidacy bar being much lower then the actual bar for HOF acceptance.