VOW big picture feedback

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rainmaker_F7

Re: VOW big picture feedback

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:11 am

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

I am not really a fan of talking about private stuff like butt last week or NBA & NFL and such. I am just not interested in this and I usually skip discussions like this. But I am never skipping a wrestling discussion on your show, and the segment I love the most is Bouncin' Around Japan, but I really enjoy any wrestling talk.

-What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?

I know you praised DG a lot on this week's show, but I still think it deserves more discussion. Also I'd like to see more PWG/EVOLVE discussion.

-Do you listen to the entire three hours?

Yes, I almost always sit through the entire show.

-Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?

Yes, sometimes I am going to skip a segment where you talk about private stuff that I am not interested in, but I usually listen to the entire show.

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?

I already said this above.

-Are you interested in guests/interviews?

Of course.

-Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent?

I try to listen to every Purocast, I really like that show too. Sometimes I catch the DG podcast as well.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Also this is small picture feedback, but a lot of the time I click on the "forums" tab on the main page it sends me to a worthless part of the site called voicesofwrestling.com/forums

The actual URL is "/forum" without the "s." May explain why the boards have been more subdued recently - this problem has been going on and off, for me at least, for an age.

To a lot of people, I think, the boards are permanently down. Or maybe it's somehow just me, but I'm not sure why that'd be.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Garuda wrote:Also this is small picture feedback, but a lot of the time I click on the "forums" tab on the main page it sends me to a worthless part of the site called voicesofwrestling.com/forums

The actual URL is "/forum" without the "s." May explain why the boards have been more subdued recently - this problem has been going on and off, for me at least, for an age.

To a lot of people, I think, the boards are permanently down. Or maybe it's somehow just me, but I'm not sure why that'd be.
I've had that happen a few times in the last two weeks. It's intermittent, which is really weird. Mac OS X w/ Safari

soup23

Post by soup23 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:58 pm

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

My favorite discussions are the philosophical macro discussions. The attendance stuff from two weeks ago was enlightening. The reviews and previews are also very strong but by their nature, they are easily digestible and usually forgettable in the long term. The interviews from the early days were well done but I will save my thoughts for the question later. Off topic banter in general is either going to be hit or miss. Some of it can be enlightening (Rich did stuff to churches wtf?) or funny (butt stuff from last week). Some of it falls flat for me ( I recall the deer head girl tinder discussion around Mania). I agree with someone earlier that if used sparingly it can be an value add. It is where I feel that the banter is getting in the way of the wrestling banter which is why I listen first and foremost. Bonus points if off topic stuff like Fernando can be weaved into a wrestling discussion point.

I feel like New Japan will always be the powerhouse for the pod so that is fine that it gets a lot of attention. The touches on Dragon Gate have been enlightening. VOW has been more fair to ROH with both the good and bad of their year than anyone else in the wrestling media. WWE can feel like a necessary evil at points but I don't think it overpowers the discussion. One area I would like to hear a bit more of is the US Indy. Touch on stuff like Rich's recaps of AAW shows, Joe's slimey Texas indies he is viewing, etc.

Yes sir.

Every week for over three years now. That is a lot of Rich and Joe in my ear.

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?

Listen to everything but the intro and fast forward through the ad reads.

Not particularly. As you have mentioned before, it is odd that guests in podcasts don't seem to draw really unless some news gets broke on them that can go viral. Joe and Rich are the star of the show and should remain the focal point IMO.

Brit Wrestle Roundtable - Every episode. Really nice show that hits on a trending niche.

Open the Voice Gate - Every episode (when technology allows). Love the show reviews, appreciate the ancillary flavor like the fashion choices and other stuff but that isn't my wheelhouse for a wrestling podcast.

NJ Purocast - Listen to this one 80% of the time. Really good previews and analysis. Only skip in big lulls of NJ such as around the gap between G-1 and Destruction this year.

I don't listen to STR and Lucha of the Hidden Temple. These shows are both good and well produced, they are just a casualty of me being the overseer for the PWO podcasts and listening to all of that stuff in a given week. In STR case, I did like the plow through the top 100 WWE matches to break up the current discussion. Lucha of the Hidden Temple is strong too but how many LU podcasts can I listen to if I don't watch the product.

I have shared with Rich privately that I think since Joe came back from his mini-break, the show has been on its best run since I started listening in mid 2013. The analysis, hot take, banter ratio has hit that sweet spot and every week, it is what I look forward to most on my Friday morning.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:17 pm

I love bouncin around Japan. I don't like when Joe goes off on people on twitter since I neither use nor care about it. So I am generally lost there. Otherwise I enjoy the banter, though it does not work sometimes, but those occurrences are rare.

I like that you guys mostly discuss promotions that you actually care about since it makes for a much more enjoyable conversation. But if I had to pick something I'd like less WWE and more Lucha.

Yes

Yes

I generally sit through everything. Unless its a particularly long twitter rant.

I am not a fan of interviews and would probably skip them. Guests I would very much like for big shows. For example get on someone like Chris Charlton for a show around Tokio Dome so he can give you insight into the feeling in Japan in regards to the show or if you cover something that is not quite your expertise like Cubsfan or Rob Viper for Lucha stuff.

Open the Voice Gate unless the technical problems make it impossible

Brit-Wres Roundtable pretty much all of them

K&P every once in a while

New Japan Purocast would love to listen to more but it is generally a cut I have to make since there is only so much time in the week and I listen to a lot of wrestling podcasts.

I don't listen to either Lucha of the the Hidden Temple or STR through no fault of their own. I just don't care about the promotions they cover.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

steve

Post by steve » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Some of the things I'm interested in getting feedback on are below, but feel free to add whatever is on your mind.

I think you spoke of Mexican wrestlers having an angel, as that factor you can't quite describe be it charisma or magnetism. And that's a bit how I think of VoW, I can't quite describe what it is that I like, but I like it. So, its really hard for me to say I like this segment or that, when it is the whole that I tune in for. I guess I'd say that I'm less into the butt talk, or what place sells the best burgers, but maybe a 3 hour weekly podcast has to have these diversions to balance against an in depth look at New Japan attendance figures or a polemic on Roman Reigns. And maybe this sounds a bit odd, but I think its Jeff who often says something like 'how can you tell a friend to watch wrestling, when chances are the first episode of Raw they watch is one where Vince thinks a puke gag will be good fun'. I feel a bit like that with VoW, would I recommend this to a friend who might then walk in on the butt discussion - maybe I'm just a prude.

Again, I feel this has been covered by the show, that when you are enjoying something you'll talk about it and when you are not into it, you won't. And I appreciate that honesty, who'd want to make you watch something you are not into to give a 15 minute segment. Personally, I'd like to hear Joe's thoughts on Brit wrestling as he has said he's into this. And that maybe considered to be overlapping the Brit Roundtable pod, but I think they will go into things differently and maybe with more time, and there's a New Japan and WWE pod, covering issues VoW regularly does. I also think you guys are missing a bit of a trick. So, you've got a lot of work going into the MotM and also the New Japan book. I think you could recycle some of this, e.g. talk though the top 5 MotM with your take(s) and I'd love to hear a short bio on a New Japan guy or something; that Ishii bit where Joe was stood up ranting about what a worker he is a few months ago was great. Equally, with so many WWE PPVs I think you can keep doing what you are doing and blow these off to one degree or another when they are not so interesting.

Yes

Yes

I'm too lazy to use the technology that is in my reach to do this. Plus a good factor of the show is how organic it sounds, so you don't want to skip ahead and maybe miss something

Personally, no. I didn't think this worked for STR, and I don't think it will here. I mean I listen because I've bought into Rich and Joe (or Joe alone when that happens). And I don't want that diluted with guests. Part of me strongly suspects that Rich is maybe on a 2 year ticking clock of doing a weekly 3 hour pod, and maybe it becomes necessary to find someone who can carry some of this load, but until that time comes I'm happy. And I dunno, I find interviews a bit boring, plus there are just so many pods I could listen to carrying so many interviews, so I'd prefer Joe's hot-take than listening to an interview.

STR pretty much every week. Brit Roundtable pretty much ever episode. I used to listen to LU, but then went off the product. I listen to maybe half of the New Japan episodes, i.e. each one about half way through and just run out of time. Never got into the DG ones I'm afraid.
Last edited by steve on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I want to thank everyone for all of the great feedback and interaction in the show threads. One of my favorite things about doing the show is seeing people react to them, and seeing what topics get people talking.

This thread is for bigger picture feedback, the things you like/dislike about the show. This will help us focus on what we are doing right/wrong and help us do a better overall show.

Some of the things I'm interested in getting feedback on are below, but feel free to add whatever is on your mind.

Love all segments related to pro wrestling. Hate all segments related to butts. Bounce around Japan is my favorite.
Joe Lanza wrote: -What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
More All Japan , less TNA

Joe Lanza wrote: -Do you listen to the entire three hours?
Almost always, unless the discussion is about butt licking.

Joe Lanza wrote: -Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?
Listen every week. Obviously topics drive my decision not to on some.

Joe Lanza wrote:-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?
Sit through them if they are about pro wrestling (For eg. I will not skip a segment where you talk about TNA, even though I do not enjoy their product) However, off topic banter is usually skipped (For eg. Last half an hour of last weeks show.) as I have no interest in it.

Joe Lanza wrote:-Are you interested in guests/interviews?
Depends on the guest.

Joe Lanza wrote:-Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent?
Listen to purocast during G1 and after Dome. STR occasionally.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:-What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
Lucha. I don't follow it at all, and I think an extended attempt by you two to try and figure out lucha would be fun. The things is always that you guys don't follow it or get it enough to really cover it, but I think a more determined effort to do so would be good for you, and also me as a listener who might watch a small handful of matches per year. We can all learn and grow together.
Entire three hours every week. I don't follow DDT or DG at all, but always listen in case I hear about something I NEED to see. I guess that counts as topics I'm not really interested in, but without the Gagne time stamps I figure it's easier to just listen to it all and learn something new. I skipped the first question since I like all the content, but I'm big on the off-topic banter. It's always fun. I'd listen to both of you on Lanza unfiltered if that ever happens again.
Nope. Maybe the occasional guest (like for that lucha idea), but generally I'm not too interested in changing the potent Rich/Joe formula.
STR maybe once a month if the flagship is late or if there's a particular topic I'm interested in hearing them cover, and now Burning Spirits.

Starshine

Post by Starshine » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 am

There's not really any parts of the show I actively dislike. But despite how much you guys cover in your 3 hours windows, you reguarly seem to be cutting topics off the show. With that in mind I'd prefer you didn't go off on random long sports/sex/whatever tangents. I don't dislike them, but they can take away from the expected content. Otherwise, I'm not bothered.

More: Dragon Gate.

Yes.

Yes.

I sit through them.

Honestly, unless it's a very topical subject/discussion, I rarely have the interest to hear from random guests.

STR, Wrestlenomics, Purocast, Lucha of the Hidden Temple. Weekly, or as often as they're released.
Your signature here.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:06 am

STR is the only other one currently for me. With WWE's improved hiring and workrate, I don't need to passionately keep tabs on the underground anymore.