VOW big picture feedback

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
mlev76

Re: VOW big picture feedback

Post by mlev76 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:27 am

1)The show previews and reviews are always enjoyable as is the news analysis. I enjoy the off topic banter, but feel like you should stick to the beginning or end of the show with it, not both.

2) I'm ok with any promotions you cover, but it might be nice to get some more local flair with your respective local indies or even a look at some indies outside your areas that deserve more coverage.

3)Usually, although if the final segment is not intriguing enough, I bail early.

4) Every week and doesn't matter the topics.

5) Sit through and/or listen less intently.

6) Although I think you'd have some interesting guests, there are enough guest based podcasts that I'd rather not have to listen to another one.

7) Shake Them Ropes or at least part of it most weeks.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 am

I'd like to see at least one of you assholes nut up and watch some Lucha Underground...if the takes are hot the takes are hot, breh. Embrace it.

Also, you guys never really touch upon PWG stuff unless you're trashing the archaic model. It'd be one 20m segment 5 times a year.

More random talk is great, too. Three hours of wrestling without some ol #chatbox banter are some your worst shows, IMO. Those fuckers drag. When you're just two dudes talking and the random topic come up, the shows feel more organic and it helps break up the show.

My only production suggestion would be the inclusion of sounders to help breakup segments.

BIGMOUTHLOUD123

Post by BIGMOUTHLOUD123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 am

-What segments do you like/dislike?
The whole show, I love listening to the different tangents you usually go into.

-What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
More Japanese promotions, less WWE. I always get a kick listening discussions about grimy, Japanese indie promotions. I don't remember which episode but I know it is pretty recent where you talk about Walking the Mummy, Gabaiji-chan, etc. and for me that is the best last 20 minutes of any podcast ever hahaha

-Do you listen to the entire three hours?
Yes, I always travel 6-8 hours in both Saturday and Sunday so l make it to a point to have a list of podcasts to listen to and more often I put the flagship first.

-Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?
Definitely, it's compelling audio.

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?
Yes, my answer on question 1 is same for this question.

-Are you interested in guests/interviews?
Not really but I'm sure it'll be a good listen. Though, I like my wrestling podcasts with this kind of format (ex: this, LAW, etc.) rather than interviews (ex: Art of Wrestling, etc.)

-Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent?
I listen to every show except Lucha of the Hidden Temple (I handwaved Lucha Underground since pilot of Season 2) and Open the Voice Gate (bad audio quality).

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:29 am

I don´t dislike anything really, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, listener questions are the ones that i enjoy the most.

You started doing it lately but i would love to see you guys review PROGRESS, Rev Pro or wXw big shows, maybe some US Indies like PWG, AIW or Beyond too.

Yes, the longer the better for me because i listen in the car/bus/gym.

I listen every week when i can, somedays earlier than others, depends on the free time i have.

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?

I never used to skip anything, not even matches on shows or shows themself if i follow the promotion.

It could be nice, depends on the guest really. I prefer reviews/talk shows over interviews.

Brit Wres Roundtable, Open The Voice Gate & New Japan Purocast always, Shake Them Ropes after PPVs or something major WWE related.

DanSmith

Post by DanSmith » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:20 am

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

Not interested in WWE/ROH/TNA coverage unless there's something newsworthy happening. Don't think it's necessary to run down a standard RAW c ppv.

Would like more coverage of Dragon Gate, AJPW,BJW. Less WWE/ROH/TNA

Listen to the full show every week

Listen every week regardless of topics

Listen to all topics

Not interested in interviews, but would like crossover of other VOW members. Would like guest hosts instead of the Lanza solo shows

Open the Voice gate whenever its uploaded

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:48 pm

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

For the most part, I enjoy all the segments. There are times when the banter goes off the rails but that really does not bother me much at all. I would prefer you all talk about what YOU WANT to talk about rather than what you feel that YOU HAVE to talk about. I get the feeling sometimes when you all review WWE, you both are not really into it and it definitely comes across on the podcast.

As I stated above, I would prefer you all talk about topics that you want to talk about and enjoy. Not what you feel you have to talk about. I will say I think the VOW network would benefit from a show based solely on the US indies. You have shows that cover WWE, LU, The British scene, NJPW and Dragon Gate and I think a show based on Evolve, PWG, AAW, etc. would help fill In the gaps of those not covered in podcasts.

Yes, I usually listen to the show over the weekend while working out. There are times where the banter or topics make me look like a complete goof at the gym because I am laughing out loud hysterically. Its worth it however.

I have not missed an episode since I discovered the podcast back in 2013.

The only thing I skip through is the ads to be honest. I understand why they are there and have no problem with you guys doing them.

I guess if it makes sense however you have a good formula now and I don't know if I would change it.

Shake Them Ropes - Almost weekly however hearing Rob trying to put himself over every week can be overkill sometimes.
Purocast - Maybe once a month or so. It really depends on the event that took place in NJPW and if it was covered enough by the flagship show or not.
BritWrestling - I was listening to it every other week but I got behind on Progress and Rev Pro so I stopped till I could get caught up.
Lucha Underground - Same as the Brit pod.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:52 pm

-Have a preference to bouncing around Japan,NewZZ breakdown and listener questions.
I dislike guest interviews. I listen to hear you guys' opinion and as such don't like crossovers as well.
What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
-More : Grimy Indies and non New Japan Japanese promotions.
-Less : WWE.

Do you listen to the entire three hours?
-Yes, I enjoy every minute of the 3 hr podcast and I listen every week with topics not being the driving force instead it's yourself and Joe's opinions on a topic which I may know nothing about e.g Baseball.

Guest Interviews are okay rarely, I guess but shouldn't replace that week's show.

I listen to Flagship and OTVG regularly. I occasionally check out STR and the BritWres Roundtable.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm

I enjoy pretty much everything, even the off-topic banter

The strong focus on Japan is a huge plus. WWE gets proper amount of time. No complaints.

Yes.

Listen regardless of the topic. Missed a couple months in 2015, but I came back.

I never got into Dragon Gate, but I still listen to the DG segments. Same for the Euro scene.

I did FF the ROH and TNA PPV discussion a couple weeks back. Also skipped the Torch ROH and TNA audio those weeks too, so it wasn’t specific to you guys. I didn’t see the shows and didn’t care to hear about them.

Not as a regular thing. Someone ((Hawkins, McCaron, Alan, etc) dropping in on occasion could be fun though. I do remember enjoying the retro Royal Rumble series with rotating guests.

Always listen to Shake Them Ropes

Occasionally listen to NJ Purocast, depends on how much time I have in a given week.

Appreciate all the hard work guys.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Less WWE. You guys are so obviously down on the product, I'd prefer you discuss promotions you enjoy and are excited about: NJPW, DG, Evolve, American Indies. I prefer positive vibes with my wrestling discussion since this is just a hobby I do for FUN.

Yes, but like da podcast gawd Joe Gagne I have an office job where I listen to podcasts all day.

Every week.

The only thing I skip is extended baseball chatter.

Yes, I remember really enjoying the Pat Buck interview. I think you need to get Gabe back on the show. Would love to hear you guys talk to Drew from Beyond Wrestling or Randy from limitless. Maybe a "get to know your promoter" semi-regular segment.

Would love to hear Zellner, Bix, or Parv on.

purocast always, shake them ropes when I remember, lucha of the hidden temple bc I really dig miles and chris.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Most of it is generally good. I could do with less WWE PPV previews but as long as they are happening ill probably have to suck that one up.

Dragon Gate or really any promotion you actually have really strong feelings about. Less is any that you dont really care about but feel like you have to talk about every now and again (like recent ROH discussion feels like)

For the most part yeah

Yeah i think ive heard all of themnsinve i started listening

Once and a while ill skip through but for the most part ill just let it run through

If the guests are interesting sure but im not really interested in hearing WWN or ROH guys come on and just plug the next ppv like some sites do.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm

I enjoy pretty much anything you guys do. If I had any issue with anything, I'd just skip ahead, but I wouldn't insist that you stopped doing the segment. It's like wrestling chants. Occasionally it's eye rolling, but the banter is what makes you you, and why I listen.

I'd like to hear more discussion of shows you guys go to live. Otherwise I'm fine with you balancing topical promotions and promotions you are really in to lately. I watch so little wrestling in comparison to many of you, and I primarily use shows like yours to know what to keep an eye out for.

Yes. Skip Silence helps keep it moving, but you're one of the few I don't use 1.2x speed on. Maybe occasionally I will tap out the last 15, but generally all the way through. I'm a schmuck with a 90 minute train/walking commute and an office job, so plenty of time to listen to a variety of shows to their completion.

Every week.

To put it one way, I'm not demanding you bring back timestamps to know what to avoid. I just hit play, and if there's a point where I decide I don't care about the discussion, I'll hit a 15 second skip several times.

K&P, as long as Rich is on it. STR once every couple of months, especially if Joe or Rich does a post PPV appearance. I'm really enjoying Jeff's commentary viewpoints lately, so I'll try to listen more for him. I was enjoying parts of Lanza Unflitered for it's brief run. Nothing else at the moment, but one day I hope to jump in on the other shows.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Bounce Around Japan always cracks me up but I think you guys have the right approach of doing every show almost on the fly rather than having it structured. Big shows need reviewing and Newz needs discussing as and when they happen.

More Dragon Gate would be great but I understand why it isn't featured as heavily. I would enjoy some Euro Graps once in a while, but again, I understand why this is a hard ask with so much other stuff on your plate.

Absolutely. Friday morning UK launch is great as I have a 90 minute commute to work so I usually bang off the 3 hours pretty sharpish. It's also a Friday so I love the usual schedule.

- Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?

Listen every week. Topics don't matter as I love listening to your enthusiasm on stuff I don't get. It was the current intro bit of Joe screaming about Yoshino in Kobe World in 2015 that forced me to take Dragon Gate seriously and I have been hooked every since.

I very rarely skip but I did it a few months back when some Baseball talk opened the show for a very long time. Me standing at train platform at 5am in the rain listening to a sport I know zero about was extreme circumstances though as I usually tolerate it.

Wasn't around at the beginning for the initial interview phases of the pod but I really enjoyed the TJP one that came up again a few weeks ago. Rob interviewing Gabe on STR has been very good. Maybe if interviews come back, keep the current format release the interviews separately?

I listen to STR all the time. I listen to the Purocast for previews and reviews of big New Japan shows and the same for the Britwres for PROGRESS. I try to listen to Open the Voice Gate and enjoy John but the format is too loose and skitty and they often fail to keep my attention.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi this is John here, thanks for the OTVG feedback we've gotten so far!

RE: the audio quality guy, this is something we definitely have to work on. I think if you listen to the new episode after about the 18 minute mark, when we switched recordings, it got a lot better, and I'm hopeful we can carry that forward in the future, but it's definitely been a little rough over the last few episodes especially.

RE: loose and skitty. I agree that we can be all over the place sometimes. i've always thought our show was going to be a niche thing and i definitely don't want to sound like every other wrestling podcast, but i hear your feedback here.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Also, you guys never really touch upon PWG stuff unless you're trashing the archaic model. It'd be one 20m segment 5 times a year.
Agreed.

The BOLA reviews by Kelly have been great but at some point it'd be nice to hear you guys share some thoughts if you've seen the shows. Both on the podcasts & twitter it seems the only time PWG comes up is when it's time for the bi-monthly jab at how shitty it is they refuse to stop making money by switching to mp4's. If you guys can put aside the snark, I'd love to hear actual thoughts on the matches & performance of a guy like Ospreay (who's case for WOTY only increases if you watch the shows).
Never. I see any podcast over 2 hours and any time I feel even the slightest boredom I'll hit FF or just move on if I feel like I'll end up wasting my time listening to it all.
Nope. I usually see the summary and if there's a topic I want to hear about I'll skim to that part.
Skip through. There's so much audio out there and so little time to catch up on it all I can't waste my time listening to you guys review an All Japan show (no offense All Japan fans). Those Gilmore Guys podcasts have to be finished before the November relaunch!
Like wrestlers? Absolutely not. A 3rd person to sit in sometimes? Perhaps. Depends who. I disagree with the person who suggested Zellner/Bix. They are big time overexposed on podcasts throughout the hardcore wrestling bubble. If you get guests I'd love to hear from random people who don't do that type of thing regularly.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:40 am

I don't really dislike any segments, unless it overstays its welcome. Like if an off-topic discussion of whatever runs 50mins, I'll be like, "Guys, I liked this but wrap it up already." But random asides from the world of graps are fine and usually add a lot to the show. You guys have fun chemistry.

I like the unofficial policy you guys have of discussing what you like, and not discussing what doesn't inspire you at all. Dropping LU is fine. There's a million wrestling pods out there with guys tiredly discussing Raw in minute detail even though you can hear it in their voices none of them give a shit and they only become animated for rants.

I'd be fine with hearing more about your local indies when/if you visit them. I know Rich goes to AAW, so hearing about the best matches there or if Joe digs further into PROGRESS, even if it's not the latest shows, would love to hear his thoughts.

Yeah, it's two commutes and a grocery run, or a trip to the gym and an exercise session. Works great for me.

I do. It's a part of the routine.

I typically sit through unless it's a break-down of a show I haven't watched that runs a third of the podcast, in which case I skip.

Not extremely. Fellow wrestling commentariat (be it VoW folks or otherwise) would be fine to hear a third opinion, but wrestler interviews not really.

BWR always, STR on occasion, Purocast typically.