VOW big picture feedback

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

VOW big picture feedback

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:42 pm

I want to thank everyone for all of the great feedback and interaction in the show threads. One of my favorite things about doing the show is seeing people react to them, and seeing what topics get people talking.

This thread is for bigger picture feedback, the things you like/dislike about the show. This will help us focus on what we are doing right/wrong and help us do a better overall show.

Some of the things I'm interested in getting feedback on are below, but feel free to add whatever is on your mind.

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

-What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?

-Do you listen to the entire three hours?

-Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?

-Are you interested in guests/interviews?

-Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent?

packerman120

Re: VOW big picture feedback

Post by packerman120 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 pm

-What segments do you like/dislike? (WWE PPV 1-10, Bouncin' Around Japan, major show previews/reviews, news breakdowns, interviews if you've been around long enough to remember them, listener questions, philosophical macro discussions, off topic banter, etc)

I like pretty much everything you guys do, with Japan, previews/reviews and banter being my favorite. I've found the more memorable segments of the last couple weeks to be Joe's wedding burial and the butt stuff discussion to be the most memorable.

More: BritWres anything
Less: WWE

Yep, every week.

(see above)
-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?

Everything interests me, really, so I listen to it all.

Not really. Everybody else does them, and I feel like you guys are different in that regard. Maybe a guest for a segment or two every once in a while could be okay, but I'm not the biggest fan of the idea.

K&P every once in a while, BritWres Roundtable, Purocast, Open The Voice Gate

Headliner5

Post by Headliner5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Love the flagship show, It's great to hear you guys talk anything really because you guys have a great all around knowledge of pro wrestling although I tend to tune in for the NJPW talk primarily because not everyone covers it like you guys do.

1. I love the previews/reviews of WWE and NJPW shows as well as the weekly news.

2. I would like ROH to be discussed a bit more but I totally get the dislike that they receive due to how they have been booking things as of late. I wouldn't mind some AAA talk as well as some CMLL talk.

3. I try to listen to the entire three hours in one sitting and if I can't I will usually come back to it at a later time but eventually I listen to it all.

4. I try and listen every week but sometimes it's hard to do so, the topics don't really drive my decision to do so because you guys can make anything interesting.

5. I do sit through topics I'm not interested in because as I said in the above answer you guys find a way to make anything interesting and even though I may not be paying attention to that particular promotion it doesn't mean I wont start if the conversation is good enough to draw me in.

6. I wouldn't be opposed to guests/interviews but that's up to you guys. I think you guys do a good enough job on the show without guests.

7. The only other show I listen to besides the Flagship is Shake Them Ropes and I listen to them every single week.

mthmas

Post by mthmas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Trust your judgment here. You guys have a good eye for what's currently newsworthy and worth discussing.

Yes. Usually in multiple sittings/commutes but almost aways the whole three hours. For your own sake I'm glad you went back to three hours but I happily listened all the way through the 4+ hour ones as well.

Generally, yes.

I'll sit through topics I'm not interested in. You never know what you might get convinced to check out - I used to be "not interested" in NJPW, too.

Interviews not so much, but a quick guest spot once in a while could be fun and freshen up shows where you're light on topics. Ex: Bringing Jeff on for a segment, etc.

1. STR: Most of the time. There are times when Rob/Jeff chemistry issues turn me off of it for a week or two, but those times are rare.
2. Purocast: Some of the time. Usually around bigger NJPW events.
3. Lucha of the Hidden Temple: Sparingly. I like those guys, but my interest in the LU product is low right now.
Last edited by mthmas on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 pm

1. I found the podcast through interest in New Japan, so that's always my preference to listen to. I enjoy all other wrestling topics discussed as I have a feel for your tastes, so I can filter that and figure if there's something I should check out. The only interviews I've ever enjoyed were with Biss (?) from Inspire Pro as those were a good split of promoting/insight into running a minor indie.

2. More talk about other Japanese promotions. Less talk about TNA, but that's just me not being all that interested in them.

3. I do typically listen to the full three hours. Usually have it playing while I'm at work.

4. Listen every week.

5. 9/10 I play the shows full on through. Occasionally skip non-wrestling topics.

6. Would be interested in the right kind of interviews, but I don't think the show needs them, and certainly not regularly.

7. I listen to Shake Them Ropes regularly. Other ones are intermittent.

SleeperAwakened

Post by SleeperAwakened » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm

What segments do you like/dislike? I appreciate your discussion on all of those topics. Bouncin' Around Japan, news breakdowns, and listener questions are probably my favorite, but you guys do good work all around.

I appreciate you guys embodying your wrestling talk philosophy: talk about what stirs you the most (whether that is love for a DragonsGate show or hatred for a shitty WWE angle). That is what I prefer.
If we had to break it down further, I appreciate your NJPW discussions and when you hit parts of Japan that I have less access to/knowledge of.
I might like for you guys to try and fit in a bit more Progress/RevPro/WXW

-Do you listen to the entire three hours? Yes. Everytime. Unless I am trying to avoid some type of spoiler.

-Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision? Yes. As the show currently stands, I have no reason not too.

-Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through? Yes, except for other sports talk (namely baseball). Usually you guys have enough interesting things to say and I enjoy it enough, but I also can't think of the last thing that was covered that completely didn't interest me.

-Are you interested in guests/interviews? Perhaps occasionally, but I personally listen to hear you guys and your opinions.

-Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent? Purocast - every episode, Shake them Ropes - most episodes, with an occasional skip (time not-permitting/tired of WWE BS), BritWres Roundtable - half the time, Open the Voice Gate - occasionally

billknust

VOW big picture feedback

Post by billknust » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Seriously, everything. I think one of your guys' biggest strengths is the topic selection and the passion about those topics. You don't fake it in any topic. So, whether I have seen what you are talking about or not, I am still interested.

More: Dragon Gate. I fucking love when you guys talk DG because of the passion for it. You guys are always fired up for it. I have seen maybe two hours of DG, but I could listen to you guys talk about it forever.

Yes. I understand your podcast services limits and personal lives, but I loved the old 4 or 5 hour podcasts, too.

Yes.

Yes. Seldom do I find topics I am not interested in.

Yes. I listened to the TJ Perkins one and really liked it. I wouldn't do it every week. Maybe like once a month.

Shake Them Ropes and the live PPV post shows. Every week. I need to give BritWrestling Roundtable a try, too. I tried the DG pod, but it just didn't click. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

The only other thing I would say is to keep the grab assery to a minimum like you do. The reason that Segments like last weeks about butt play or Joe burying something like weddings or what not work is because it is not overdone.

I have seen plenty of good podcasts fall apart because they strike gold with a jacking around segment and then they keep going back to that well. The best thing about your segments like this is how you guys do it. It comes organically.

Why we listen in the first place is to hear you guys talk graps. You both are very good at it. Segments that stray off the path are a pleasant surprise.

Keep up the good work. This is one of the few podcasts in my feed I look forward to every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 pm

-What segments do you like/dislike?

Not a fan of the WWE stuff, since I got into you guys on the back of the Japan stuff which in turn let me ditch the WWE's laborous schedule. That being said, WWE stuff is your best way to grow so I just do some work while that bit gets on. Other than that, I'd like some more analysis stuff that you guys do, because you're both quite intelligent and astute in that regard. Nothing too major, but talking about some WWE undercard guys (Baron Corbin for one) and how you think their actually doing as opposed to typical WWE fan hype over anything that's remotely interesting is a good base to have as a listener.

TNA and WWE are the stuff I wouldn't want to hear from you guys. You're best on describing the indies and Japan in my opinion, and maybe doing a once-a-month thing where you focus on that exclusively or do it so that WWE gets only three segments a month (one for Smackdown from Smackdown to PPV and the other for Raw from Raw to PPV and the last being NXT/Performance Center/Network stuff) so you're not just churning that dreck out.

But of course!

I listen every saturday or sunday usually, depending on what I can get away with in terms of having my headphones on.

... You can skip through? How would you do that without knowing when the topics end? Waste of time that, better off just listening to Joe make his dogs upset by telling them the facts.

Depends on the guest/interview.

New Japan Purocast.

Mogel

Post by Mogel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 pm

- No segments I really dislike, but I do have a preference for OT Banter and newZ breakdowns.

- You can't go wrong with more Grimy US/Japan Indy talk. And to the same point it's very enjoyable to hear you guys get fired up about wrestling matches/shows you did not enjoy (Chikara and ETC.)

- I have 7 hours everyday that I fill with various podcasts and I am VERY pleased to fill 3 hours of it with you guys.

- Every week, no skipping. Sometimes I rewind to listen to Rich's editing mishaps as well.

- ^No skipping here^

- Guests, crossovers with other VOW hosts and the sort are welcomed.

- Shake Them Ropes - every week.
THE CAPTAIN Image YOUR CAPTAIN

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:01 am

I like all of the above, but Bouncin' Around Japan in particular is always a treat and the off topic banter on this show is second to none. Also a fan of when a larger philosophical discussion occurs and breaks up two different topics.

More Dragon Gate. I know it's hard to always find time/be up to date, but it's one of my favorite things you guys do. More All Japan would be great as well.

Yes

Yes

Yes. I've actually become interested in things I wasn't previously interested in after hearing you discuss them. I've also become a bigger/more informed puro fan since I began listening.

Occasionally this would be fun, but the Rich/Joe dynamic is what makes this podcast. An interview segment would be welcome because the ones I've heard you do before have been interesting.

Open the Voice Gate every episode, and Shake Them Ropes usually. I used to listen to Lucha of the Hidden Temple, but stopped watching LU. Interested in BritWres Rountable as I'm slowly trying to get familiar with RevPro/Progress/etc.

Oh, and bring back Lanza Unfiltered. Like, please.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:05 am

What segments do you like/dislike?
- I basically like all of it. The variety of topics you discuss is nice.

What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
- I could personally do with less WWE talk, but I understand that it wouldn't really make sense for your podcast to ignore it - plus you usually have interesting perspectives on what's going on there, so I don't mind it too much. I like that you focus on whatever topics are important or interesting to you.

Do you listen to the entire three hours?
- Yes, although usually not all in a row. I tend to listen to podcasts while commuting.

Do you listen every week? If not, do the topics drive your decision?
- Yes, every week

Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in, or utilize the technology and skip through?
- I usually listen through the entire thing. Occasionally if I'm listening on my laptop I'll fast forward a bit through baseball talk or ads, but you guys are usually pretty good about even making that stuff interesting.

Are you interested in guests/interviews?
- Sure. I don't think it's 100 percent necessary, but if there is someone you guys are passionate about talking to or someone who you think would add an interesting dynamic to the discussion I'm all for it

Which other shows do you listen to on the network? How frequent?
- New Japan Purocast and Lucha of the Hidden Temple every week. Occasionally BritWres podcast if they are talking about a show that I have seen or am interested in checking out

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:30 am

Like Bouncin' Around Japan, off topic banter, and the previews. I also when like to obscure things.
I also enjoyed when you used to assign each other random matches/shows to watch and review.

More United States indies and more Wrestling Research Institute.

Yes

I try to listen every week.

Yes, you guys even make sponsorship adverstisments fun to listen to.

Absolutely

I try to listen to every Shake them Ropes and to Lucha of The Hidden Temple sporadically.

dkookypunk43

Post by dkookypunk43 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 am

What segments do you like/dislike?
Like: NJPW, Indy talk, WWE, and everything wrestling related. The off topic banter is fun and adds your own flare to the show.

What promotions would you like to see discussed more/less?
More: US Major Indies and European scene
Less: WWE but not too much less since WWE are the big boys.

Do you listen to the entire three hours?
Hell Yes

Do you listen every week?
Yes I am a committed listener

Do you sit through topics you aren't interested in or skip them?
Depends on how deep the discussion gets but most of the time I do listen to the three hours.

Are you interested in guests/interviews?
Sure, I think the magic is you and Rich but every once in a while a guy like a Zellner or Case or someone like that would add a lot.

What other shows do you listen to on the network?
K&P, Purocast, and Shake Them Ropes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Listen to Meet The Press Slam coming soon

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:55 am

-What segments do you like/dislike?

All of it, really, particularly news and show breakdowns. I like that you guys go with what you're passionate about discussing each week, so very little feels forced or obligatory.

I'm happy with the current selection. I like discussion about WWE and NXT, but that's also the stuff that tends to feel weak. Often the "1-10" gimmick feels so forced that it feels like it should've been skipped. So maybe there's a middle ground between skipping it and doing a full segment that you have to trudge through on those days where WWE is just not doing it for you.

Naturally I'd like maybe a touch more NXT talk in general, but I understand that my interest in dissecting NXT minutiae isn't everyone else's.

I do! Occaisionally I skip a chunk, but often I don't.

Oh, every week. Topics may influence how soon I get to it, but I always get to it.

I skip. It's a long show, so I don't mind skipping past the chunks that don't hit me personally. I love hearing talk about promotions I'm not watching, so skipping is usually for sports and non-wrestling talk. I like your banter, however, so I only skip about 40% of the off-topic stuff. And not to be blunt, but when you guys get onto women, sex, and dating I tend to find it kinda cringe-y (with love, I promise).

I wouldn't want it super frequently, but I think the occasional guest or interview would be terrific. But I like the current formula a lot, so I can also see myself notice when it pops up for the week, see that it's primarily an interview episode, sighing, and feel like I have to miss a week of the regular weekly content I enjoy for the interview.

Guests I'm more open too, I just think I'd like interviews to be occasional and in the form of a segment, and not an episode-long deal. Or maybe it's a great interview and I'm way into it, idk.

Hope that wishy-washyness serves as a reply.

Used to listen to Lucha of the Hidden Temple, but fell out of the promotion itself. RIght now a three hour flagship is enough wrestling podcast for me.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:58 am

Hello

Dislikes:
- Talking about butt stuff

I think WWE and New Japan talk time is about perfect and I like how you guys are one of the few podcasts out there to talk about more than just WWE. I like learning about NOAH, DDT, and Dragon Gate so bouncing around Japan is totally a plus. I also am a big fan of your coverage of TNA, RoH, PWG, WrestlePro and the British Wrestling territories.

I don't mind the sports talk when it comes up, but, for a wrestling podcast, that can go too long.

Yes, I love every minute of it.

Every week

If I have to sit through listening to butt stuff I live because I don't want to miss anything by skipping past it (the wrestling talk, not the sex talk).

Whenever you guys can do them sure.

K & P, New Japan Purocast