Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode #1): PROGRESS Chapter 20, RevPro TV & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode #1): PROGRESS Chapter 20, RevPro TV & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Rob, Oli and Arnold bring you the inaugural episode of the Brit Wres Roundtable, the newest addition to the Voices of Wrestling podcast network centered on wrestling from across the pond.

The three give you a whirlwind introduction to the currently booming British scene before previewing this Sunday’s PROGRESS Chapter 20 and talk over the latest month’s episodes of RevPro TV.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... o-tv-more/

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: Brit Wres Roundtable (Episode #1): PROGRESS Chapter 20, RevPro TV & more!

Post by Robareid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:31 pm

As we said at the end, this was our first attempt at something like this, so it'd be great to have some feedback. Is it worth making it a monthly thing?

Oh, and I apologize for being a bit faint in my solo segment at the beginning, I guess I was feeling a bit self conscious about talking to myself.

waynemaw

Post by waynemaw » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Only about half way through at the moment (listen to podcasts when driving), have enjoyed this so far, liked the run down of British indy history I was at a lot of the 1PW shows in doncaster, have a few DVD's from these shows, looking back at them those cards were really good, although obviously relied heavily on imports but some wrestler who have gone on to have good careers.

I agree a lot is about coverage / visibility, I'm going to the Tidal Wrestling show in Leeds tonight, which has some good british talent on El Ligero, Martin Kirby, Josh Bodom and Morgan Webster yet not enough know that these shows are even going on

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Yep, PROGRESS and RPW getting some hardcore attention worldwide is definitely a step forward. A few guys are starting to become indy stars from those shows, and that drips down so that the smaller companies who are still booking good talent have some recognition. When people know who guys like Ospreay and Dar are from PROGRESS and RPW and know they're actually really good, when they see them on a TCW poster they might actually go.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Good show. A think the audio could do with tweaking, but the content makes it well worth listening to and there was an improvement when it went to the round table.

A good dose of knowledge, enthusiasm and healthy amount of honesty make me look forward to future episodes.

I think this fits really well in the VOW portfolio, a AAA / lucha libre pod would be really welcome as I find this quite difficult for me to wrap my head round, but Lucha Underground has got me very interested in the likes of Fenix, Drago, Texano Jr and (of course) Pentagon Jr.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

For a debut show, you guys nailed this.

I already have a feel for each of your personalities, and look forward to seeing how all three of you develop as you get more comfortable in your roles. This type of thing naturally happens so don't try to force it. You're already way ahead of the game with the chemistry you have together and how you played off each other. Rob did a great job directing traffic and taking the lead, Oli came across like a guy who absolutely knew his shit and had a youthful exuberance and Arnold was wonderfully blunt and like a guy who will pull no punches.

With regards to the opening monologue by Rob, as you mentioned the audio was fairly low on this but the main issue I had was that I just felt it was a bit long-winded for an opening intro. Not sure if you're planning these to be regular but if you are then I'd try making them a bit snappier and get into the meat of things quickly.

Saw a bit of criticism on twitter for the focus being only on RPW and PROGRESS and I while I empathise with where it was coming from, I don't agree with it. I thought it was the perfect way to go about things for the first show. You don't want to overwhelm people with tons of topics early on, and it's best to give solid focus to a couple of things. Reviwing the RPW TV is a great vehicle for tackling them.

The History Of Jimmy Havoc segment was clearly the best thing on here. An absolutely outstanding job. You got me really curious about the parts of the story that I didn't know and you did a great job describing things I did know about in a way that was still interesting to me.

Side note, but you may find this interesting. You were praising the PWG guys for watching everything and knowing what the BOLA talent can do. Funnily enough, Super Dragon (who makes all decisions) watches NOTHING except PWG. He uses people like the Bucks as talent scouts, and relies solely on word of mouth. Then once he sees a talent perform in Reseda, he makes his own judgements on how they'll be used going forward.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your points, no that opening monologue won't be a regular segment it was just a one off to kind of set the stage for what the podcast will be about. I agree it did go a bit long, and I'm glad we won't be doing it again. I was thinking of cutting it while editing, but we referenced it a couple of times during the roundtable portion and thought it would have been ugly to edit and was probably cleaner just to leave it in.

As for focusing only on PROGRESS and RPW, first off this was just a first episode, we will touch on other stuff in later episodes, but as you said we didn't want to overwhelm people. We want the podcast to be friendly to those not yet fully immersed in the British scene while still being enjoyable to those that are, covering the NGWs and Kamikazes of the world in the first episode wouldn't have done that. Secondly they're probably the two most accessible and the two that are most internationally known promotions in the UK, although ICW and perhaps PCW could be thrown into that mix too. Honestly a big reason why we focused on the two we did over ICW were that simply the three of us were more familiar with those two products; we'd rather talk about something we're knowledgeable about.

I actually did know, or at least thought I knew, that Super Dragon watched very little non-PWG stuff (or even none according to you), but I think perhaps what Arnold was referring to when he brought that up was that the collective PWG hive mind scouting (Bucks, previously Steen...) will have seen a fair amount and will know who is good enough to be brought in and who is special and needs to not only be brought in but featured right off the bat. He mentioned that he would be singing up for the forums at some point, so perhaps he'll be able to answer you himself.

Thanks for the kind words as well as the advice Alan.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 am

Rob, I've only watched this year's Summer Sizzler from Rev:Pro, which was worth the price for the Big Damo : Ishii fight alone and the coast-to-coast. What (if any) other Rev:Pro events would you recommend to the hardly initiated?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:41 pm

High Stakes 2015 was very good, with a fantastic Styles-Ospreay match on top and two great matches immediately below it in Thrillers-Hooligans and Scurll-Ricochet.

Summer Sizzler 2014 was a step below this year's event, but still very good. Two very good (but both ever so slightly disappointing) Cole-Devitt and ZSJ-Nakamura along with a fun Scurll-Steen and an out of nowhere MotN in Ospreay & McCluskey-2 Unlimited make it very enjoyable throughout.

Other recommendations:
Uprising 2014 (Sydal-Ospreay, Scurll-Stone) is very good
High Stakes 2014 was good (ICMG-Swords of Essex, Young Bucks-Project Ego) with a bad main event
Uprising 2013 was good top to bottom (Elgin-Dar, Ricochet-Devitt, Richards-ZSJ, Tanahashi-Scurll)
When Thunder Strikes was a lot of fun (Liger-Devitt, Project Ego-Swords of Essex, Haskins-Ligero)
Summer Sizzler 2013 was a good card if you're looking for one with mostly UK talent. (London Riots-Project Ego, Lethal-Scurll, ZSJ-McKinnan)
Christmas Cracker is another good import light show (Devitt-Haskins-Ligero-Dar, LDRS-Project Ego, Walter-Elgin)
Summer Sizzler 2012 is also worth a watch (Devitt-Dar, Gargano-ZSJ, UK Hooligans-Project Ego)

Arn Furious

Post by Arn Furious » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi,

I signed up so I could respond but in all honesty I can't remember what I said about PWG. Something along the lines of 'they always seem to book the right people when they get hot' or something like that. I had consumed a few drinks by that point. Rob tells me 20 minutes of my audio track was the sound of drinks being poured and nothing much else.

Thanks for listening though. We all appreciate the feedback. It was a lot of fun to do and I'm really glad we didn't keep the microphones rolling because I did a LOT more talking after we finished. Wild Turkey is not a good life decision, during publicly recorded conversations.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

I really enjoyed this first podcast and quite an easy listen for an area that is a bit of a black hole considering I'm from Canada. I have watched a couple Rev pro tv and summer sizzler 2015 so it'll be nice to have more info on storyline going foreward towards the big show since I doubt I'll watch weekly. I'm following way too many promotions to do such a thing so it'll be good to be able to listen to something break stuff down while at work.

You have made me really interested in following progress after your breakdown of the Jimmy Havoc storyline. Sounds pretty compelling stuff. I have really enjoyed Will Osprey and Marty Scrull in Rev Pro so Progress will give me more of a chance to watch them.

Great first podcast. Look foreward to adding this to my rotation.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Arn Furious wrote:Hi,

I signed up so I could respond but in all honesty I can't remember what I said about PWG. Something along the lines of 'they always seem to book the right people when they get hot' or something like that. I had consumed a few drinks by that point. Rob tells me 20 minutes of my audio track was the sound of drinks being poured and nothing much else.

Thanks for listening though. We all appreciate the feedback. It was a lot of fun to do and I'm really glad we didn't keep the microphones rolling because I did a LOT more talking after we finished. Wild Turkey is not a good life decision, during publicly recorded conversations.
From memory:

You - "I really think Ospreay is going to turn a few heads over in BOLA"
Me - "Oh totally, as long as he doesn't go out first round"
You - "I doubt that'll happen, I think they watch a lot of footage of the guys before they bring them in..."

Alan was just saying that in fact Super Dragon watches very little to none himself.