Page 1 of 3

Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:31 am
by Rich Kraetsch
The Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast returns to break down a wild SummerSlam weekend including WWE SummerSlam 2016 including "Elbowgate" with Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, the huge Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe and perhaps the best tag team match of the year.

Outside of WWE, we talk EVOLVE's star-studded weekend, Cody Rhodes' indie wrestling debut, an uneven Super J-Cup Final, ROH/NJPW Death Before Dishonor show and much more!


Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:09 am
by supersonic
If a college city ever hosts WM, it'd be Austin or Columbus. They got the culture, they got the stadiums, they got the arenas.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am
by roundhousekiss
I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:16 pm
by Lawsoncomedy
I agree on the points about Lesnar and the Styles/Cena match. Listening to Alvarez be so underwhelmed by the Styles match was infuriating. because yes, you can do a finisher spam match (see Cena v Rock WM 29) and have it mean nothing and be repetitive and boring. The key difference here is the established arc of Cena always winning in the end was in jeopardy, and would WWE go all the way and have Styles beat Cena twice. That's why people were invested, Styles and Cena fans alike. Would the pattern of Cena winning be broken? That was the drama. And Styles kicking out of the avalanche AA wasn't just a finisher spam fest, it was a major story moment. Kevin Owens is the only guy to have ever kicked out of that, and he ended up losing that match in the end, still.

The Lesnar match just made me mad at Vince Mcmahon. The bureaucracy around the "no blades" rule upsets me, because it's clearly safer than the shit Lesnar did to Orton in the ring.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm
by Lawsoncomedy
I loved Sasha vs Charlotte. I gave it ****. Early sloppiness hurt it but the late high spots really won me over. But I'm a guy who likes ambition. Charlotte I think was going for the Roddy Strong top rope backbreaker. And there was heat at the end of the match with some great reversals.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 pm
by Joe Lanza
roundhousekiss wrote:I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P
I do put this over as the best match on the show and proceed to gush over ACH.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:02 pm
by roundhousekiss
Joe Lanza wrote:
roundhousekiss wrote:I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P
I do put this over as the best match on the show and proceed to gush over ACH.

Yaaaay. I'll put it on my playlist then ;)

I love ACH. He's been so great in Japan, great chemistry with Ishimori and clearly over even with the reduced Noah crowds. I'm so happy for him.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:13 pm
by rovert
Lawsoncomedy wrote:I loved Sasha vs Charlotte. I gave it ****. Early sloppiness hurt it but the late high spots really won me over. But I'm a guy who likes ambition. Charlotte I think was going for the Roddy Strong top rope backbreaker. And there was heat at the end of the match with some great reversals.
In the moment it was really compelling. Watching it live I called it a Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka match without all the chairs and tables.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:13 pm
by Jeff Hawkins
If the belt gets put on Big Cass, he's automatically becoming Baron Corbin....

which is so weird.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 pm
by billknust
Joe's, "I'm gonna go with..." is the best no-sell of Rich's pronunciation's. They need to do that with Matt Riddle's last name, since they couldn't agree last week. :lol:

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 pm
by Rich Kraetsch
I'm right, Joe's wrong. I pronounce it like the athletic company and how they say it on EVOLVE.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:14 pm
by Jeff Hawkins
re: songs

I think the closest thing might be MVP but it's the song and the tunnel being so obnoxious and full on selling of that gimmick

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:23 pm
by Garuda
Great show y'all. Nothing to say, other then I disagree slightly about Roode. It wasn't only the theme that got him over, he was teased for a few onths and then cuit two or three outstanding heel promos.

Obviously you're right about the theme doing a ton of work for him, and obviously gets him that entrance and much of the momentum he has, but the tease and heel work did its share too.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm
by rovert
Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:46 pm
by Joe Lanza
rovert wrote:Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.
"The Female [redacted]" regarding the final sentence in Texas circles.