Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:15 am

Tuchman Marsh wrote:I'm a fan of the site/show who just signed up for the forum to say I have loved the episodes of the past few months and wanted to respectfully disagree with the notion that there has been too much WWE Talk. I like that you guys cover whatever are the most interesting stories in wrestling that week, and whether it's NJPW, TNA (going against The Final Deletion when others were praising it and proving to be right in the end imo), Evolve, or a huge WWE show, you have thought-provoking takes that are about topics that actually deserve to be talked about/things you actually want to talk about. And with the late-week release, you get perspective on the big PPV's/TV and don't concern yourself with boring minutiae that is irrelevant in a day or two. I loved the discussion about the Samoa Joe/Nakamura main event, as the owners of the top two pay sites have praised this match to the hilt and I didn't understand why, and I thought your discussion was easily the best that I have heard and helped me figure out why it didn't connect with me as much as I wanted it to. Keep up the great work!
Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to sign up and give this feedback. Positive or negative It never falls on deaf ears.

JML

Post by JML » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 pm

pol wrote:Sombra flopped as a babyface in Mexico too. I think that has more to do with it than the mask.
You definitely have a point here as it was getting bad for him towards the end of face run but a lot of the babyfaces get booed at Arena Mexico up until recently.

With the show, I agree that Vince will probably look at Balor's injury as a manly injury and people need to get ready for the mega push of Balor. There's probably going to be a 24 special like the Rollins one but he will be the biggest pushed guy which is the right way to go.

Reigns has everything except that he doesn't get the positive reaction that Balor gets from the crowd (although I was worried that the crowd at Summerslam were chanting "Balor Sucks" but were really chanting "That Belt Sucks"). It's time for WWE to finally push a guy in the number one spot that doesn't get the Reigns/Cena mixed crowd reaction. I've been critical of Balor before but if they want to start re-training the audience to cheer the number one pushed guy, he's the way to go.
Last edited by JML on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:48 pm

I blame Dave more for not doing any real digging on the Network numbers, but my understanding has always been those stats you see when you log in are on demand numbers. While I'm sure they can track the stream by logins, I believe the statistics Dave cited are on demand numbers. While not a definitive source, WWE Network News is a pretty good and reliable source on this and their thoughts are similar

"While the exact science to this section isn’t completely known, we do know that it seems as though the live stream doesn’t directly impact it. However, chances are selecting “watch from the beginning” would count as views"

http://www.wwenetworknews.com/2016/08/2 ... -now/?wt=8

There are good reasons why NXT would have higher on demand viewership than Summerslam. One, it was on the same night as UFC and there was some overlap between the end of NXT and the start of UFC. Two, Saturday nights are less popular tv viewing nights as a whole than Sundays. Finally, since Dave did not give an exact date of when he got those stats, it is possible the additional on demand time inflated the popularity. If you look at the WWE Network News article linked above, Summerslam has risen to number 1 while Takeover has fallen to 5.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Based on Joe's description, I can't wait to watch Evolve 67 (Finally had the time to watch Evolve 66 last night. I'll probably watch Evolve 67 tonight), especially those last two matches, just to see how bad they were.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Tuchman Marsh wrote:I'm a fan of the site/show who just signed up for the forum to say I have loved the episodes of the past few months and wanted to respectfully disagree with the notion that there has been too much WWE Talk. I like that you guys cover whatever are the most interesting stories in wrestling that week, and whether it's NJPW, TNA (going against The Final Deletion when others were praising it and proving to be right in the end imo), Evolve, or a huge WWE show, you have thought-provoking takes that are about topics that actually deserve to be talked about/things you actually want to talk about. And with the late-week release, you get perspective on the big PPV's/TV and don't concern yourself with boring minutiae that is irrelevant in a day or two. I loved the discussion about the Samoa Joe/Nakamura main event, as the owners of the top two pay sites have praised this match to the hilt and I didn't understand why, and I thought your discussion was easily the best that I have heard and helped me figure out why it didn't connect with me as much as I wanted it to. Keep up the great work!
Thanks, this really means a lot. We love the format of our show and while we enjoy suggestions at the end of the day, we talk about what we deem important, not what others think we should talk about. Thanks for your continued support and welcome to the forums :D

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:20 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Not really a criticism. Maybe an observation that isn't worth 2¢...

I thought your show was really good around fall/winter when you kept the WWE talk to a minimum and were really in a groove when it came to talking Japan and Indy wrestling. STR was more of the WWE show within your umbrella.

Lately it seems you guys are spending 90% of the show talking WWE. WWE talk is already so over saturated and it feels like you guys are getting away from what made it a podcast worth devoting a few hours a week too.
Appreciate the observation but here's the thing... we simply cannot ignore big news and there's been plenty of big news, huge shows and more in WWE land over the last few weeks. I'm already planning this week's show and there will probably be very minimal WWE talk as we get more heavy into japan's other promotions and a few other things. There will always be ebbs and flows with our show and people will decide what to listen to and what not to listen to. Whereas you want no WWE talk and more indie wrestling or whatever, we'll get emails and DMs saying we talk too much about Japan and people want our thoughts on say, Takeover. We've always taken suggestions to heart but at the end of the day, we talk about what we want to talk about. It goes in cycles though, expect the fall/winter to be less WWE heavy, but if something big happens, we're going to talk about it.

If you want to listen, great! If a particular episode doesn't interest you based off the rundown of what we're going to talk about, we won't get mad at you. But we're in a no-win situation when you're a podcast that covers everything.

Thank you for your feedback though, we always listen.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:27 pm

I like that the subject matter of the show is dictated by what has happened, what is coming up and whatever else is important each particular week rather than being more or less one promotion centric. Makes it far more interesting than going over the same ground on the same promotions every show and making the same points ad infinitum.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Can we bounce around Japan sometime soon?

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:23 am

I agree that the format of the show is fine. It should be about the most newsworthy things happening on any given week; the other podcasts on the site do a damn fine job focusing on specific promotions and regions.

Was really glad to hear Asuka vs Bayley get some love from Joe. That was my favorite match of the weekend by a good margin and I've been surprised at the relative ambivalence a lot of fans seemed to have for it, especially since I feel like Bayley matches tend to be a bit overrated in general.

rwa2play

Post by rwa2play » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 am

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:I couldn't agree more with Joe about Bobby Roode. I think he is just average, you could really see that La Sombra was few leagues ahead of him in Brooklyn. Altough the difference is that La Sombra is wearing this awful hat and suspenders and he is getting booed as a face, and Roode comes across as a star thanks to his gimmick and the theme song. I really feel bad for Almas, he is very talented and as someone who followed him in CMLL, I really want him to succeed in WWE, but things are definitely not going well for him. Roode on the other hand is the most lucky guy in the world, because this song is money and he could very well be a main eventer on the main roster in a year or two.
They should just give him the Roode Bomb as his finisher. The pumphandle slam is so 1995.

rwa2play

Post by rwa2play » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 am

I agree about having Nakamura come out during last week's Raw. Not only would Barclays just explode with a deafening pop; the internet would melt down about a potential win. Not to mention Japanese audiences having a big interest in the WWE if Shinsuke were to win it all.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:25 am

It'll be far more meaningful for Nakamura to graduate in the Rumble, at WM33, on WM33 tv aftermath, or next year's draft, assuming there is one.

HHH returning tonight prevents his vanity project from prematurely losing its champion, which he certainly wants to avoid after it happened last year.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:12 am

supersonic wrote:If a college city ever hosts WM, it'd be Austin or Columbus. They got the culture, they got the stadiums, they got the arenas.
Why on earth would you want WrestleMania taking place in a toilet bowl?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:50 am

Columbus is a growing market with plenty of land. All the college history there plus a major league arena. It serves as a terrific central location for all of Ohio and is reasonable driving distance from DET, PIT, BUF, LOU, IND, CHI, and MIL.