Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rainmaker_F7

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:59 pm

I couldn't agree more with Joe about Bobby Roode. I think he is just average, you could really see that La Sombra was few leagues ahead of him in Brooklyn. Altough the difference is that La Sombra is wearing this awful hat and suspenders and he is getting booed as a face, and Roode comes across as a star thanks to his gimmick and the theme song. I really feel bad for Almas, he is very talented and as someone who followed him in CMLL, I really want him to succeed in WWE, but things are definitely not going well for him. Roode on the other hand is the most lucky guy in the world, because this song is money and he could very well be a main eventer on the main roster in a year or two.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
rovert wrote:Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.
"The Female [redacted]" regarding the final sentence in Texas circles.

A classy bunch running in those Texas circles.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Shining Wiz wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
rovert wrote:Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.

You are going down the wrong road here. [redacted] is a male wrestler who is also a little too "chatty" for his own good sometimes. rovert knows who I'm talking about, I probably shouldn't have posted it but whatever.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Go, Go-ing down the wrong road

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

You are going down the wrong road here. [redacted] is a male wrestler who is also a little too "chatty" for his own good sometimes. rovert knows who I'm talking about, I probably shouldn't have posted it but whatever.

Yup....wrong road. [redacted] was a badly done joke on a BTS episdoe a while ago.
Last edited by Shining Wiz on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Has nothing to do with Terry Taylor.

Anyway Bayley pretty much gave Ember her keys to the NXT Brand. If you accept Asuka as a tweener. Ember is NXT's best babyface in a number of regards by a significant distance. Ember has been given a huge lay up and will be a huge star if she avoids the standard Wrestling pitfalls.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Go, Go-ing down the wrong road
It isn't Go Shiozaki

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:48 am

ACH looks shocked at the size of that jpeg.

ThreeAndAHalf

Post by ThreeAndAHalf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 am

I'll be seeing Callihan vs Matt Hardy at tomorrow's Northeast Wrestling show, so that might be a match you'd want to see less than Callihan vs Abyss.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:11 am

ThreeAndAHalf wrote:I'll be seeing Callihan vs Matt Hardy at tomorrow's Northeast Wrestling show, so that might be a match you'd want to see less than Callihan vs Abyss.
I've never been a fan of Hardy's in ring, and I have no use for Broken Matt, but I can't think of many wrestlers I'd rather see less than Abyss. Maybe Pinkie Sanchez. At least Abyss might do something stupid. But then again, so might Sanchez. This is hard.

pol

Post by pol » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Sombra flopped as a babyface in Mexico too. I think that has more to do with it than the mask.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Not really a criticism. Maybe an observation that isn't worth 2¢...

I thought your show was really good around fall/winter when you kept the WWE talk to a minimum and were really in a groove when it came to talking Japan and Indy wrestling. STR was more of the WWE show within your umbrella.

Lately it seems you guys are spending 90% of the show talking WWE. WWE talk is already so over saturated and it feels like you guys are getting away from what made it a podcast worth devoting a few hours a week too.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:04 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Not really a criticism. Maybe an observation that isn't worth 2¢...

I thought your show was really good around fall/winter when you kept the WWE talk to a minimum and were really in a groove when it came to talking Japan and Indy wrestling. STR was more of the WWE show within your umbrella.

Lately it seems you guys are spending 90% of the show talking WWE. WWE talk is already so over saturated and it feels like you guys are getting away from what made it a podcast worth devoting a few hours a week too.
There has been more WWE talk than usual, you aren't wrong. We try to talk about whatever is newsworthy, and WWE has been in the news a lot lately with the draft and the big weekend.

I've been wanting to take a deep look at NOAH & AJPW attendance the last few weeks, and did a ton of research, but we just haven't had time to do it.

I think next week will be very NJPW heavy with the Destruction & Lion's Gate lineups out, and Okada working NOAH to build KOPW.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:39 am

Gridiron season on the horizon so we can expect WWE to not be so newsworthy, instead being lame, lazy, and desperate. I'm considering even making a prop bet that Kane and/or Big Show will get a brief marquee push before the end of the year.

Tuchman Marsh

Post by Tuchman Marsh » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

I'm a fan of the site/show who just signed up for the forum to say I have loved the episodes of the past few months and wanted to respectfully disagree with the notion that there has been too much WWE Talk. I like that you guys cover whatever are the most interesting stories in wrestling that week, and whether it's NJPW, TNA (going against The Final Deletion when others were praising it and proving to be right in the end imo), Evolve, or a huge WWE show, you have thought-provoking takes that are about topics that actually deserve to be talked about/things you actually want to talk about. And with the late-week release, you get perspective on the big PPV's/TV and don't concern yourself with boring minutiae that is irrelevant in a day or two. I loved the discussion about the Samoa Joe/Nakamura main event, as the owners of the top two pay sites have praised this match to the hilt and I didn't understand why, and I thought your discussion was easily the best that I have heard and helped me figure out why it didn't connect with me as much as I wanted it to. Keep up the great work!