Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:31 am

The Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast returns to break down a wild SummerSlam weekend including WWE SummerSlam 2016 including "Elbowgate" with Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, the huge Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe and perhaps the best tag team match of the year.

Outside of WWE, we talk EVOLVE's star-studded weekend, Cody Rhodes' indie wrestling debut, an uneven Super J-Cup Final, ROH/NJPW Death Before Dishonor show and much more!

supersonic

Re: Wild SummerSlam Weekend, Talking Smack, Super J-Cup & more!

Post by supersonic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:09 am

If a college city ever hosts WM, it'd be Austin or Columbus. They got the culture, they got the stadiums, they got the arenas.

roundhousekiss

Post by roundhousekiss » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:16 pm

I agree on the points about Lesnar and the Styles/Cena match. Listening to Alvarez be so underwhelmed by the Styles match was infuriating. because yes, you can do a finisher spam match (see Cena v Rock WM 29) and have it mean nothing and be repetitive and boring. The key difference here is the established arc of Cena always winning in the end was in jeopardy, and would WWE go all the way and have Styles beat Cena twice. That's why people were invested, Styles and Cena fans alike. Would the pattern of Cena winning be broken? That was the drama. And Styles kicking out of the avalanche AA wasn't just a finisher spam fest, it was a major story moment. Kevin Owens is the only guy to have ever kicked out of that, and he ended up losing that match in the end, still.

The Lesnar match just made me mad at Vince Mcmahon. The bureaucracy around the "no blades" rule upsets me, because it's clearly safer than the shit Lesnar did to Orton in the ring.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm

I loved Sasha vs Charlotte. I gave it ****. Early sloppiness hurt it but the late high spots really won me over. But I'm a guy who likes ambition. Charlotte I think was going for the Roddy Strong top rope backbreaker. And there was heat at the end of the match with some great reversals.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 pm

roundhousekiss wrote:I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P
I do put this over as the best match on the show and proceed to gush over ACH.

roundhousekiss

Post by roundhousekiss » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
roundhousekiss wrote:I have not listened yet, but I can't believe the match you're referring to is NOT Momo no Seishun Tag vs Ishimori/ACH :P
I do put this over as the best match on the show and proceed to gush over ACH.

Yaaaay. I'll put it on my playlist then ;)

I love ACH. He's been so great in Japan, great chemistry with Ishimori and clearly over even with the reduced Noah crowds. I'm so happy for him.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:I loved Sasha vs Charlotte. I gave it ****. Early sloppiness hurt it but the late high spots really won me over. But I'm a guy who likes ambition. Charlotte I think was going for the Roddy Strong top rope backbreaker. And there was heat at the end of the match with some great reversals.
In the moment it was really compelling. Watching it live I called it a Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka match without all the chairs and tables.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:13 pm

If the belt gets put on Big Cass, he's automatically becoming Baron Corbin....

which is so weird.

billknust

Post by billknust » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Joe's, "I'm gonna go with..." is the best no-sell of Rich's pronunciation's. They need to do that with Matt Riddle's last name, since they couldn't agree last week. :lol:

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm right, Joe's wrong. I pronounce it like the athletic company and how they say it on EVOLVE.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:14 pm

re: songs

I think the closest thing might be MVP but it's the song and the tunnel being so obnoxious and full on selling of that gimmick

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Great show y'all. Nothing to say, other then I disagree slightly about Roode. It wasn't only the theme that got him over, he was teased for a few onths and then cuit two or three outstanding heel promos.

Obviously you're right about the theme doing a ton of work for him, and obviously gets him that entrance and much of the momentum he has, but the tease and heel work did its share too.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:46 pm

rovert wrote:Speaking of songs. Cody's indie theme is so weak and dated isn't it? That and the leglock didn't really "sing" his first weekend on the indies.

I don't think Joe should feel bad about Ember Moon and coming in skittish about her in NXT after seeing a lot of her indie career. As she has owned up to her faults including being blackballed by every indie in Texas. After she came back from her big shoulder injury in late 2013 she took Wrestling more seriously, improved her attitude and shored up her work. But don't get me wrong even in 2016 she is someone even her friends wryly call "chatty" when describing her personality.
"The Female [redacted]" regarding the final sentence in Texas circles.