STR: general feedback, comments, etc.

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Ferrante207

Re: STR: general feedback, comments, etc.

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Damn, Did the Hawk just throw shade at da god Al Pacino?

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Damn, Did the Hawk just throw shade at da god Al Pacino?
Post-Heat Pacino

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:Damn, Did the Hawk just throw shade at da god Al Pacino?
Post-Heat Pacino
This is fair.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Is the Ambrose hate more of a frustration with prop comic Dean than his in ring? Because the guy has worked 6 PPV main events this year and every one of those he delivered:

Fastlane vs Roman and Brock
Roadblock vs HHH
Battleground vs Roman and Seth
Backlash vs AJ
No Mercy (they called it the main event) vs AJ and Cena
TLC vs AJ

Every one of the matches I listed above were all 4+ stars and granted several were with AJ but he held his own nonetheless. Not to mention the guy had a better match with HHH than that trash Roman and HHH put on at WM. So if the argument is his in ring, sorry I just don't see it. He's not the most graceful performer I get it, but he's definitely a top performer in big matches.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:27 pm

phenom951 wrote:Is the Ambrose hate more of a frustration with prop comic Dean than his in ring? Because the guy has worked 6 PPV main events this year and every one of those he delivered:

Fastlane vs Roman and Brock
Roadblock vs HHH
Battleground vs Roman and Seth
Backlash vs AJ
No Mercy (they called it the main event) vs AJ and Cena
TLC vs AJ

Every one of the matches I listed above were all 4+ stars and granted several were with AJ but he held his own nonetheless. Not to mention the guy had a better match with HHH than that trash Roman and HHH put on at WM. So if the argument is his in ring, sorry I just don't see it. He's not the most graceful performer I get it, but he's definitely a top performer in big matches.
Rob has more fatigue than I do, I see it as "not living up to his potential" as a character, and it's part him, mostly system.

What you're listing is the big matches. Week to week his offense and performances can come off as half assed. Big match Dean, I'm okay with. Week to week Dean to get me interested in him isn't always there with the exception of the occasional aside he may do.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Bumping in case anyone has any grievances from the 6 months I haven't been here :)

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Jeff made an outstanding point on this week's STR. Vince is only good when he's booking his core competency. Jeff suggested possibly "outsourcing" the task of handling his non-core competencies (women, small guys, anything not involving the basic hero's journey). As an alleged businessman, you would think Vince would go down this path. Outsourcing core competencies has become standard practice since it appeared in biz school literature in the 90s. This is why the cafeteria staff, security, physical plant, cleaning,some IT, etc at my fortune 500 insurance company are contractors.

You gotta wonder how much money Vince's ego is leaving on the table.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu May 31, 2018 11:10 am

this week, you got my AMA....and when Rob gets around to it, Mike Sempervive and I kind of ramble through an hour of what resembles wrestling talk

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:this week, you got my AMA....and when Rob gets around to it, Mike Sempervive and I kind of ramble through an hour of what resembles wrestling talk
so, like the old Dave/Mike shows on the Observer site

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Jeff Hawkins wrote:this week, you got my AMA....and when Rob gets around to it, Mike Sempervive and I kind of ramble through an hour of what resembles wrestling talk
not quite as fact based and historical

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
So, more fun?

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Jeff Hawkins wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
So, more fun?
it was fun for us, but a lot of the fun I didn't record (my "never was" tv writing career and standups from the late 80s/mid 90s....I don't want to name names of people who treated me like crap, and no one's interested in Semp's mad-on for Mike Binder)

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:40 am

Damn AMA just made me sad for a bit...

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:Damn AMA just made me sad for a bit...
I loved the AMA episode a lot. The WWE wrestlers as SAG breakdown was great stuff, something you just don't hear a lot about but very interesting perspective into what could happen, why it might not, why it might not be as good as people think it might be etc.

But yeah that one portion hit hard. Especially as 30 year old looking at my life and wondering which direction to head at, a whole new path or just keeping trucking along. I have no idea, but that bit definitely made me think.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:29 pm

suplexberry wrote:But yeah that one portion hit hard. Especially as 30 year old looking at my life and wondering which direction to head at, a whole new path or just keeping trucking along. I have no idea, but that bit definitely made me think.
wasn't meant to, my point was I went after vanity and ended up hurting myself and often times judged my happiness on whether things were perfect.