STR: general feedback, comments, etc.

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

STR: general feedback, comments, etc.

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 pm

All inclusive...

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: STR: general feedback, comments, etc.

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:09 pm

rob is shit

Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member

Post by Joe Gagne » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:17 pm

I do wish the show still came out Tuesday nights. Wednesday nights/Thursday mornings it runs against* shows from Eric Bischoff, Ric Flair, Konnan, Art of Wrestling, Steve Austin, Jim Cornette, and Marty/Sarah (haha no). Tuesday nights were a lot clearer.

*insomuch as on demand programming runs head to head with other on demand programming

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:24 pm

It seems like Rob has his guilty pleasures i.e. Tino Sabbatelli and Eva Marie but Jeff who would you say are your guilty pleasures in pro wrestling?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:00 pm

I'd appreciate making STR a late evening show like Observer Radio, that way you cover ALL of WWE TV that same calendar week including NXT and Cruiserweight Classic.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:31 pm

I have noticed (or I have felt) that past few months you have gone away from talking about or analyzing individual shows such and now primarily lead off with just main news stories. Has that been a conscious effort with Jeff having to review RAW for the site for God knows how long?

I have been listening for a while and it is scary seeing the Top 100 whittle down. I know this is way too early, but what are you thinking about replacing the segment with?

Also, I would kill for an episode like last year when Jeff reviews BOLA from a live perspective. I really enjoyed that episode.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:14 am

More Jeff, less Rob.

Actually...make that no Rob...bring in the Young Boy and give'em a push.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 am

Joe Gagne wrote:I do wish the show still came out Tuesday nights. Wednesday nights/Thursday mornings it runs against* shows from Eric Bischoff, Ric Flair, Konnan, Art of Wrestling, Steve Austin, Jim Cornette, and Marty/Sarah (haha no). Tuesday nights were a lot clearer.
I get this, but Smackdown being live hurts in that we're already waiting a week for NXT/CWC.

It feels like only covering half of WWE if we still go on Tuesday, and since that's our sort of niche for VOW

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:28 am

itsberlo wrote:It seems like Rob has his guilty pleasures i.e. Tino Sabbatelli and Eva Marie but Jeff who would you say are your guilty pleasures in pro wrestling?
current? Toru Yano.

previously? Quemonito, Archibald Peck, D-Lo Brown the Headhunters and there's plenty of older guys like the Barbarian, Buzz Sawyer and the New Zealand Militia

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

supersonic wrote:I'd appreciate making STR a late evening show like Observer Radio, that way you cover ALL of WWE TV that same calendar week including NXT and Cruiserweight Classic.
would depend on Rob's schedule, I'd be open to that, although you wouldn't get measured takes, they'd be "hot" ones.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:33 am

Empiresk wrote:I have noticed (or I have felt) that past few months you have gone away from talking about or analyzing individual shows such and now primarily lead off with just main news stories. Has that been a conscious effort with Jeff having to review RAW for the site for God knows how long?
I think it's also the mid week recording and both Rob and I already having done an hour each in "the other neighborhood" where we feel RAW is now "old news" and we're trying to be fresher. Reviewing RAW beat me down, no doubt, but I think it's that we want to feel "fresh" rather than stuff that's been gone over with actual review shows.
I have been listening for a while and it is scary seeing the Top 100 whittle down. I know this is way too early, but what are you thinking about replacing the segment with?
I have no idea, but it's a concern for me, since I don't find 90 percent of the current stuff engaging
Also, I would kill for an episode like last year when Jeff reviews BOLA from a live perspective. I really enjoyed that episode.
can you get me tickets? I got shut out :)

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:35 am

BoxingRobes wrote:More Jeff, less Rob.

Actually...make that no Rob...bring in the Young Boy and give'em a push.
Rob brings the "Broadcast professional" voice. I, naturally, bring the sex appeal.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:22 pm

The shift in the time of the week hurts, just because I'd become accustomed to where it was in the calendar and there seemed more time at the start of the week, but I totally get the change. I'm just not sure that WWE can live up to their part of the bargain, i.e. giving you enough content of interest in Raw and Smackdown on a weekly basis.

I'm less convinced by the weekly guest. I can see how it brings a new point of view every week, gives the two someone new to bounce off and probably makes life a bit easier in not having to have as much material ready. But, I was pretty happy with the two and I dunno if they really bring that much more depth or insight. But hey, I guess cross-branding is the name of the game these days.

The big question for me is, as the Top 100 countdown comes closer and closer to an end, what comes next?

I probably don't listen to anywhere near as many podcasts and media as others, but what first stood out to me about the show was that it was where NXT was first talked about (for me) on a regular basis when I found it. And I get that those days of Banks/Charlotte/Lynch/Balor/Itami/Adrian Neville & Sami Zayn (as well as Bull, CJ Parker and The Ascension) are gone, but I kind of thought that is where STR's found its niche and I still like listening to the two, especially following a PPV, but I kind of just feel its trying to find that differentiation again.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 pm

guest gimmick is going away for a bit, attempt to grow the brand, change up the show a bit. The guests are more outside the bubble

plus it occassionally clarifies things casuals see that I miss.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:guest gimmick is going away for a bit, attempt to grow the brand, change up the show a bit. The guests are more outside the bubble

plus it occassionally clarifies things casuals see that I miss.
You do yourself a disservice Jeff, you don't miss much. Indeed, it could be argued that sometimes you try to read too much depth into WWE's 2D booking, but hearing something different is never a bad thing.

What do you mean "guests are more outside the bubble". For me, the listener, I don't think that's a good thing. On top of all the wrestling that I'm watching, I'm also committing to listening to podcast show(s), so I kind of think we want more knowledge and insight, not less. Now, if you are attempting to widen the brand and pick up listeners outside the bubble that's a different thing. And one where the show needs to balance some degree of risk vs reward in chasing new listeners vs keeping the old ones.