VOW - G1, SummerSlam build, listener questions

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rainmaker_F7

Re: VOW - G1, SummerSlam build, listener questions

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I thought I am the only person in the world who fucking hates that Fray guy. Happy to find out I am not. He is a dick to everyone on twitter, and he has such a punchable face. :lol:

Great show Joe. I hope everything in Your personal life gets sorted out. To be fair though, I didn't find the show from two weeks ago bad or anything like this.

Just one more thing though

I hear "this G1 is not as good as last three editions" almost everyday. Oh come on. Obviously, it's not as good as 23 and 24. But there is no way it is, due to the new format with 19 shows. But this G1 is in my opinion better than last year's. Honestly, I feel like many people who say that 25 was better is because they only remember the great stuff, like Honma/Ishii, AJ/Ibushi, or Tanahashi/AJ. Yeah, there were a lot of great matches last year, especially when they got to Tokyo for last six days. But many matches were absolutely dreadful. You had Gallows, Yujiro, unmotivated Tenzan, underwhelming Nakamura, bad Fale, gimmick-heavy Naito. Most of the shows had 1-2 very good to great matches, and 2-3 that were either ok or just not good at all. Not to mention the single-cam shows, and almost no fresh matches. This year, the field is fresh, there are a lot of interesting little stories, like Tenzan's last G1 or Tana making his big comeback to name a few. While I could understand why people are saying that last year's G1 was better (higher ceiling), calling this year's tournament a massive disappointment or just saying that it's been underwhelming is just understandable to me. Last year's tournament without Triple Sumo Hall would be a disappointment. This year it's been already great, and we aren't in Sumo yet.

Also your TNA rant was great. I couldn't agree more with this.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
The google drive.

Uh, I don't see anything in the drive...
Log out of google and try again.

Did you not know about this? This has every puro show that has aired in Japan this year, plus more.
I only just got New Japan World last month when I started working for an investigative journalism bureau. Was kind of dealing with several major crises RE my Master's degree from November up until July and wasn't doing much more than popping into Taima for a New Japan PPV and listening to you and Rich. Seems to be working just fine now that I'm logged out, though.

Cheers though, Joe!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Danwaka wrote:Also, does Mack Weldin (?) deliver to the Middle East?
US-only for now, sorry :cry:

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Danwaka wrote:Also, does Mack Weldin (?) deliver to the Middle East?
US-only for now, sorry :cry:
Guess you gotta let them know there's money to be be made in the lands of blood and oil! :lol:

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Shouts to Joe for opening up about his personal life. VOW has always been a community to me, beyond a simple review and takes factory. I too retreat away from the things that give my life pleasure/meaning when facing family/career/relationship strife.

Fray is a cautionary tale on making pro wrestling social media your entire identity and sense of being. Balance is key unless your livelihood and income depends on wrestling. If that's the case, go all in.

Goto/Okada was a great match IMO. I'm one of the few left on Goto island.

Is there a "best matches of king of gate to watch" post somewhere a la the sticky post on this board? I would like to sample the best from that tourney. Singles tourneys also a great way to learn guys in a new (to me) company. Big multi mans are tough to track in a unfamiliar foreign promotion.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:17 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Shouts to Joe for opening up about his personal life. VOW has always been a community to me, beyond a simple review and takes factory. I too retreat away from the things that give my life pleasure/meaning when facing family/career/relationship strife.

Fray is a cautionary tale on making pro wrestling social media your entire identity and sense of being. Balance is key unless your livelihood and income depends on wrestling. If that's the case, go all in.

Goto/Okada was a great match IMO. I'm one of the few left on Goto island.

Is there a "best matches of king of gate to watch" post somewhere a la the sticky post on this board? I would like to sample the best from that tourney. Singles tourneys also a great way to learn guys in a new (to me) company. Big multi mans are tough to track in a unfamiliar foreign promotion.
Do you have a f4w/wo sub? I did DKP Show with Alan and we broke down THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT (well, everything that aired) for like two hours.

ruttenbas

Post by ruttenbas » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Really appreciate your honesty about what you had been going through Joe. I was bummed when you weren't on last week even if Chad was a very solid fill-in. Your work is much appreciated by wrestling nerds like me. Now go back to throwing shade at Roman Reigns. I miss that.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Lol at chad. This should be a thing. He must earn that final form of Case.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:19 pm

No love for Sandman? New Jack? re: themes and experiences

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:42 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:No love for Sandman? New Jack? re: themes and experiences
There are so many. Gotta think on your toes with these questions, I should probably screen them and prepare first.

ruttenbas

Post by ruttenbas » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Lol at chad. This should be a thing. He must earn that final form of Case.
Yeah. He made such a good impression on me I made him a new name. Ha

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:10 pm

For what it's worth, I did do a series of shows with a Chad (Chad Campbell who is on these very forums). Those were back in 2013 I believe, part of my Rumble Rewind series.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:06 am

Great show, Joe. I, myself, am coming off of a wrestling break due to life shakeups. And from a fellow too-hard-on-himself-perfectionist-type, know for sure that your passion and hard work are appreciated even in those moments when you fall short. Perhaps especially in those moments.

I've been catching up on the G1 and loving it. I respect your Marufuji MVP pick, but I'm looking at either Okada or Ishii for that slot. The former, in particular, needs to be more discussed for the Thesz/Flair after this tournament. I guess people are getting tired of him, but I think you overvalue shiny-newness if you think Naito is significantly ahead of Okada.

In fact, I think that ties into your point about internet smarks eating their own. It's two things: First, wrestling fans of this era are hyper-sensitive to time. They adore new things to a fault, and they hate when anything has a whiff of "repeat," hence all the rematch panic and Okada malaise. The same people who clamor for long unbroken title reigns put an expiration date of maybe a year (tops) on most wrestlers and wrestling concepts before it's dead to them.

Secondly, I think part of it is a general misunderstanding of how internet discussion works. Reddit, Twitter... it's all communication-via-dogpile. It's not so much that the internet is roiling and changing their opinions every week, it's more that when everyone loves Okada everyone talks and shares that sentiment and the minority opinion is stamped out. So when there's any kind of moment where people start talking about Okada unfavorably, all that impotent rage comes out from the other side of the fence. People assume a false continuity onto internet discussion where they see anonymous hordes praise one thing and hate it the next, and assume that it's the same horde. It's not. It's just everyone getting their turn to shout, which is the only way people communicate on Reddit and Twitter.

Think of them as big King of the Hill matches where each opinion tries to beat the shit out of the other for time on the throne. I, for instance, haven't stopped loving Okada or stopped feeling disappointed with Finn Balor on the basis of his characterization. It's just that those opinions wax and wane, and I'm not looking to talk bad about Finn in the middle of a discussion that praises him.

None of that's really worth reading, but I wanted to respond.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:49 am

Garuda wrote:Great show, Joe. I, myself, am coming off of a wrestling break due to life shakeups. And from a fellow too-hard-on-himself-perfectionist-type, know for sure that your passion and hard work are appreciated even in those moments when you fall short. Perhaps especially in those moments.

I've been catching up on the G1 and loving it. I respect your Marufuji MVP pick, but I'm looking at either Okada or Ishii for that slot. The former, in particular, needs to be more discussed for the Thesz/Flair after this tournament. I guess people are getting tired of him, but I think you overvalue shiny-newness if you think Naito is significantly ahead of Okada.

In fact, I think that ties into your point about internet smarks eating their own. It's two things: First, wrestling fans of this era are hyper-sensitive to time. They adore new things to a fault, and they hate when anything has a whiff of "repeat," hence all the rematch panic and Okada malaise. The same people who clamor for long unbroken title reigns put an expiration date of maybe a year (tops) on most wrestlers and wrestling concepts before it's dead to them.

Secondly, I think part of it is a general misunderstanding of how internet discussion works. Reddit, Twitter... it's all communication-via-dogpile. It's not so much that the internet is roiling and changing their opinions every week, it's more that when everyone loves Okada everyone talks and shares that sentiment and the minority opinion is stamped out. So when there's any kind of moment where people start talking about Okada unfavorably, all that impotent rage comes out from the other side of the fence. People assume a false continuity onto internet discussion where they see anonymous hordes praise one thing and hate it the next, and assume that it's the same horde. It's not. It's just everyone getting their turn to shout, which is the only way people communicate on Reddit and Twitter.

Think of them as big King of the Hill matches where each opinion tries to beat the shit out of the other for time on the throne. I, for instance, haven't stopped loving Okada or stopped feeling disappointed with Finn Balor on the basis of his characterization. It's just that those opinions wax and wane, and I'm not looking to talk bad about Finn in the middle of a discussion that praises him.

None of that's really worth reading, but I wanted to respond.
This was a great post.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:07 am

Garuda wrote:
Keep in mind this show was recorded before Night 13 (Ishii/Okada, Tana/Maru).