Call for questions - 7/13 Flagship

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
supersonic

Re: Call for questions - 7/13 Flagship

Post by supersonic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 am

DXvsNWO wrote:If voting took place today, what are the chances that "Broken" Matt Hardy wins Best Gimmick in the WON Awards?

I actually have a ROH question, but it's actually not regarding the current turmoil. I think one of the more interesting stories regarding ROH's history is that the company could have gone under in 2011 if the SBG purchase didn't happen (I believe that was the case, but please correct me if I'm wrong). Now I'm a big fan of the "alternate history" genre, and I was wondering what you think might have happened if ROH actually closed its doors in 2011? How do you think this change would have impacted the wrestling world in the last five years, and do you think people today would think of ROH more fondly (compared to today) had the company had gone under in 2011?

I know it's a very loaded and out-there question (considering it's a hypothetical, and the fact that there are a ton of different directions you can go with it), so I completely understand if you don't answer it.
For this question, also consider this is the same period as Money in the Bank 2011.

supersonic

Call for questions - 7/13 Flagship

Post by supersonic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:39 am

My questions:

What happened to cause George Carroll, Jr. to split from ROH? What was his role there? Has his departure from the company in any way been a reason for ROH's recent bad publicity and leaked turmoil?

What's the scoop on ACH that was recently teased on here?

Should we expect the relationship between WWE and Evolve to strengthen in the near future? Is there something more going on with the 9/11 date that will be Gargano's farewell?

Last but not least, and this is a bit loaded: I'd like each of you to look at the male WWE roster, from NXT to part-timers, and list 3 one-on-one matches you wanna see at WrestleMania 33.

Wewantmorathat

Post by Wewantmorathat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 am

With King of Gate having just finished up and the G1 upcoming, which wrestlers from Dragon Gate do you guys think would fare the best in NJPW and vice versa?

Also, other than Minoru Suzuki, who has the best entrance music in wrestling today?

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:41 am

What will you be watching, and what are you most excited for, on July 24?

-G1 Climax with Shibata vs Nakajima, Naito vs Elgin
-Dragon Gate Kobe World
-BJW Ryogokutan
-WWE Battleground

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:23 am

RobViper13 wrote:This is a hard one to put into question form but I'll try... been meaning to ask for a while but always missed cutoff...

Where do you guys draw the line between internet stalking & getting SCOOPZ? Or do you draw a line at all?

For reference point - this year I've come across a couple instances of indy wrestlers who have been alarmed to discover "fans" who have been facebook/twitter/insert other social media stalking not just them but also people in their personal life. Seems like it's becoming more prevalent amongst a certain type of internet "fan". One wrestler in particular traced a certain story about him leaking back to him replying to someone he knows (not in wrestling) on instagram, that person being followed by a "fan" & then that person in another post mentioning something about her friend which then turned into news in the wrestling world. On one hand if it was a reporter who was being paid to do this you'd say that's fine, he's just doing his job. On the other hand in this particular instance it was just a random "fan" who had nothing to gain other than way too much time on his/her hands to be able to follow every post from a complete stranger. (This wrestler also figured out this "fan" followed every single person he interacted with on instagram whether it was wrestling related or not)

Do we at VOW approve of this type of behavior in the name of getting dirt?
This is where we left off on the show so I will attempt to answer the rest here.

This is some picture you paint. People send us stuff every day. We never talk about 99% of it and always respect when people say "this stays here". I have no idea where 99% of it comes from.

Personally I rarely dig for scoopz/dirt.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 am

Headlock wrote:Why are most of the hardcore Lucha Underground fans so weird?

Why is Sascha Banks so bad on the Main roster and why does everyone defend her?

Would you talk about the great Korakuen Show DG had this month on the 7th for a bit?
1. All wrestling fans are weird. LU fans are a dedicated bunch, very passionate. They probably think dedicated fans of other promotions are weird.

2. Covered on show.

3. Loved the main event, loved Shingo's stuff w/Shachi. DG rules right now.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 am

DXvsNWO wrote:
do you think people today would think of ROH more fondly (compared to today) had the company had gone under in 2011?
Yes.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 am

avengers23 wrote: Now that "Dirty" Andy Dalton has made his NOAH debut, who else should be recognized with a run abroad?

Why hasn't Athena made her TV debut on NXT? You'd think that they could start building her to replace Bayley as the other workhorse woman.

Why does Wrestle-1 keep trying with KAI? (Maybe this could spark a whip around Japan?)

Rich, did you ever end up watching Fortune Dream 3? What were your thoughts on Yuji Hino and Yuji Okayabashi's spot in front of Kobashi?

Do you want to touch on mid-year awards, or do you want to keep it solely for the end of the year?
1. Too many guys to name. Ricky Starks. Jason Kincaid is finally being seen. Sammy Guevara is a future star if he keeps his head on straight and recently did some lucha shots. Matt McIntosh out of Jersey should be working outside of Jersey.

2. I am not as high on Athena as others. I hope she does well. I've seen her plenty live and I always seem to catch her on bad nights. She had a match against Veda Scott last year that was one of the worst things I've ever seen in a ring (mostly due to Scott, tbf).

3. *Shoulder shrug*. KAI stinks. His Dean Ambrose/Onita knock off gimmick has gotten over with some people. Can't write him off entirely but Sanada was always the better of the two imo.

4. I'm not Rich, but FD was a decent show, a nice easy watch. Didn't live up to the hype for me. The chop spot was nice, very cool. The main dragged on & on and I lost interest if i'm being honest.

5. We have something new & fun planned for the WON Awards.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:34 am

Mogel wrote:1. Would you consider the over abundance of tournaments in NJPW a form of filler content?

2. Any thoughts on the upcoming EVOLVE shows?

3. I know Joe must be all over Pokemon Go, so I have to ask how that's going.

4. Since Rich is clearly avoiding female fake taxi can we get a full breakdown of MyDirtyMaid? I feel it's more up his alley.
1. No, tournaments are a staple in Japan and I wouldn't change that. I like the sports element of them.

2. I follow EVOLVE with one eye at best, so no.

3. Covered on the show.

4. Rich?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:37 am

supersonic wrote:My questions:

What happened to cause George Carroll, Jr. to split from ROH? What was his role there? Has his departure from the company in any way been a reason for ROH's recent bad publicity and leaked turmoil?

What's the scoop on ACH that was recently teased on here?

Should we expect the relationship between WWE and Evolve to strengthen in the near future? Is there something more going on with the 9/11 date that will be Gargano's farewell?

Last but not least, and this is a bit loaded: I'd like each of you to look at the male WWE roster, from NXT to part-timers, and list 3 one-on-one matches you wanna see at WrestleMania 33.
1. Covered in depth on the show.

2. I can't. Sorry. I like him and I hope he kills in in NOAH.

3. I expect EVOLVE to be officially absorbed at some point.

4. My idea of matches I want to see differs roughly a million percent from what VKM thinks people want to see. And he's probably right.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:59 am

What do you think will SANADA's position be in the NJ roster this time next year?
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am

ayaashm wrote:What do you think will SANADA's position be in the NJ roster this time next year?
Depends where Naito is by then. I think there is money in Naito as a face. He's over as one already in a lot of cities. That means a lonnger heel stint for SANADA, who will eventually be a face himself.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am

Thoughts on Fortune Dream III (at least main event)

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:58 am

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap wrote:Thoughts on Fortune Dream III (at least main event)
Star Rating wise ??

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:46 pm

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap wrote:Thoughts on Fortune Dream III (at least main event)
I thought all-around it was a fun show with a "roster" that you won't get on any other Japanese promotion, as close to a super indie as Japan has. Everything was solid and felt purposeful so for that, it's a show I enjoyed. The main event was good, but not great. I love a good, beefy match as much as the next guy but after the 615th chop, I kinda just wanted it to end. The OT period was cool because there was a real sense of purpose from that point on but I thought it dragged A LOT at times, despite the fact that overall when it was done I enjoyed it.