G1 Climax & WWE Battleground Preview, ROH Ratings & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

G1 Climax & WWE Battleground Preview, ROH Ratings & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:05 am

Voices of Wrestling returns from a one-week hiatus to do the most extensive G1 Climax 25 preview you’ll hear anywhere — every scenario, every match, every wrestler broken down in detail. Who we think is going to win, how each of those guys gets to the finals and much more.

We also touch briefly on the lackluster WWE Battleground, our thoughts on the debuting NXT women on Raw, Ring of Honor’s troubling ratings pattern and a bunch of random, useless banter along the way.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... ings-more/

EvanDeadlySins

Re: G1 Climax & WWE Battleground Preview, ROH Ratings & more!

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:11 am

Cry-laughing my eyes out at you guys' attempts to pronounce "Ingobernables."

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 am

Joe is certainly the Colin Cowherd of wrestling podcasts.

Dylan is the Stephen A. Smith

AndyItwaru

Post by AndyItwaru » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:06 pm

I think the ugly period you talked about has to do with everyone looking sweaty and greasy.

The girl from fast times at ridgemont high holds up in my opinion

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm actually going to miss Olbermann's show. I never cared about his politics show (even if I likely agreed with his viewpoints), and it took me a long time to get into it but I really enjoy his current show. Strong, well argued commentaries, and since it's sports that, in the grand scheme, "doesn't matter at all", there's plently of light hearted humor thrown in.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 pm

I always find the Cena discussion interesting. I certainly like the Khali matches better than you guys and also think the Lashley match is a nice example of him elevating a lesser opponent.

The thing that always impresses me about Cena is looking at his WWE resume, he has the best match vs. numerous opponents that they had in the company. Punk, Bryan, Umaga, Cesaro, Lashley, HBK (highly debatable but the London match is at least upper echelon), Khali, JBL (2nd behind Eddy match IMO), Brock. That is an impressive array of variety and level of opponent and Cena did better with them than any other opponent. YOu also can't throw up the main event so he was given more time argument because of these individuals had main event runs with multiple other people than Cena.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:37 pm

TGD287 wrote:I'm actually going to miss Olbermann's show. I never cared about his politics show (even if I likely agreed with his viewpoints), and it took me a long time to get into it but I really enjoy his current show. Strong, well argued commentaries, and since it's sports that, in the grand scheme, "doesn't matter at all", there's plently of light hearted humor thrown in.
Olbermann is another guy who I admire greatly, and he's someone who I disagree with on just about EVERYTHING when it comes to politics, which he obviously injects into his show in heavy doses.

I watch/listen to Cowherd's show nearly every day and I DVR Olbermann. Aside from SportsCenter as background noise or games, the only time I watch or listen to ESPN is for those two guys, both of whom are leaving.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:39 pm

soup23 wrote: The thing that always impresses me about Cena is looking at his WWE resume, he has the best match vs. numerous opponents that they had in the company. Punk, Bryan, Umaga, Cesaro, Lashley, HBK (highly debatable but the London match is at least upper echelon), Khali, JBL (2nd behind Eddy match IMO), Brock. That is an impressive array of variety and level of opponent and Cena did better with them than any other opponent. YOu also can't throw up the main event so he was given more time argument because of these individuals had main event runs with multiple other people than Cena.
This is an argument I often use for Bryan Danielson/ROH (Jimmy Rave, Delirious, Morishima, Nigel, Erick Stevens, Aries, etc etc etc). Nearly every person he worked with in ROH, great, average, lousy, whatever, they had their best match against him.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:14 pm

I think a couple of those are a stretch (Bryan, Cesaro, HBk, JBL, Brock), but even so that's still a definite plus for him.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:25 pm

What would you argue against Bryan and Brock? Bryan I could possibly see Over the Limit 2012 vs. Punk and maybe HHH at WM 30, otherwise I think it is pretty slam dunk that SummerSlam 2013 is his best match in WWE. Brock I think is even more of a slam dunk case with Extreme Rules 2012.

warrentaylor
VOW Staff Member

Post by warrentaylor » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:31 pm

More banter- less wrestling=ratings.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:34 pm

I do appreciate on this podcast the critique of Adam and Mike going through every match of the G-1 and then Joe and Rich doing the exact same thing.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Satoshi Kojima is fucking awesome Joe, I'm totally with you.

AndyItwaru

Post by AndyItwaru » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Do you think CMLL is sending their guys to japan to give them extra paydays and also to give them incentive to not jump to AAA?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:46 pm

AndyItwaru wrote:Do you think CMLL is sending their guys to japan to give them extra paydays and also to give them incentive to not jump to AAA?
I literally just came on here to post that.

I'm also totally with you on the Elgin-Takahashi match, as weird as that match is I think the two of them could actually have good chemistry together.