Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WWF 08/29/94)

SammyJ_D

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WWF 08/29/94)

Post by SammyJ_D » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Discuss here

BillThompson

Re: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (WWF 08/29/94)

Post by BillThompson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Definite no, and an actively bad match. It's not even Bret or Owen's fault really, though I guess one could question why they so willingly work to the WWF cage match structure. But I don't really question that as I don't think they had much of a choice, and ultimately the stip is what kills this match dead. A blood feud where the heel needs to escape to win? A match where there is lots, and lots, and lots of climbing and hanging on the cage while nothing happens? No thank you.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Watched this last night with my friend who's a casual fan (and who has this probably as his favorite match ever). I respect that opinion, but it's not mine. It's a match that loses a little bit more every time I watch it and it's mostly the fault of WWE's cage match gimmick.

I'll disagree a bit with Bill... I don't think it's a blood feud. I don't think it ever reached that level as much as it was Owen wanting to beat Bret and Bret wanting to prove that he's the dominant brother. In that case, the "escape the cage" gimmick works but for the feud but makes for a painfully boring match at times featuring guys trying to leap through doors or climbing half way up and being dragged down. Their WrestleMania X match absolutely blows this one away. Not a chance it makes my list.

Francis Adu

Post by Francis Adu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

It's a match that probably could've worked if they conveyed a story of Bret wanting to escape so often because he still didn't want to fight Owen and Owen wanting to escape because he wanted to beat his big brother again one more time. But this match didn't convey that nuance at all and just seemed like a normal match in a WWE cage style. A missed opportunity and a definite no.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 pm

I remember watching this as a kid and being excited for it, so their objective in entertaining their target audience was totally met. People being far too harsh with criticisms here. Bill, you're comparing apples to oranges. Don't think of it as a blood feud, or cage matches as being bloody spectacles and you'll enjoy it more for what it is.