Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker (WWF 10/05/97)

BillThompson

Re: Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker (WWF 10/05/97)

Post by BillThompson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Not sure about this one. While I think it's great, the ending is a big letdown and the more I watch it the more that the warts in Shawn's performance are glaring. This really is the match to show for people who hedge their bets on Undertaker, because it's his pacing and timing that keep this thing hot and great throughout.

Rah

Post by Rah » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 pm

One of many Shawn matches that I don't get the praise for. It's far from an actively bad match, but I was rather underwhelmed when I last watched it. At times it looks like Shawn isn't quite sure of what he wishes to do, and changes his mind mid-setup. Equally, there's quite a good few moments where they walk from spot to spot, because the choreography called for it and it shows. Shawn should have placed a lot more emphasis on the ragdolling he does after they escape and do the roof spot. Instead, he's up and ready to take the next throw like nothing's really happened to him.

No-selling Demon 'Taker is just not my cup of tea. Pissy Shawn even less so.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah, this was one of my favorite matches as a kid. Adult me, not so much. There's not a ton there and while it's one of the most important "story" matches in modern WWE history helping to launch the career of Kane, as an in-ring match it just doesn't do it for me. This won't be on my list.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Never understood the love for this match ever. The in-ring does nothing for me and then the deal Kane at the end leaves me underwhelmed. No chance of making my list.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 am

I love this match with a passion. At the time it was dramatic and it still holds up now.