Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori (AJW 04/02/93)

JML

Re: Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori (AJW 04/02/93)

Post by JML » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:46 pm

I'd advise people to go out of their way and watch the press conference before the match to show how much these two don't like each other. I believe the feud dates back to the 92 Dream Rush where Hokuto called her and LLPW out after her match.

This is a very dramatic match that has highs and lows. People might find the match refreshing compared to the fast paced action of other AJW matches from the 90's and I've seen people say it's boring at points.

But to me there is too many things about this match that I remember for me not to put it on the ballot.

From Hokuto's punch from the opening bell, Kandori trying to rip Hokuto's arm out, the tombstone piledriver on the table (which if you know Hokuto's history, you get it even more) to the Rocky II finish. It's a memorable match.

I will say Hokuto's blade job (which was nicely protected by her stable mates Mita and Shimoda rushing to her help while Wally Yamaguchi did the blading) was helped by people getting 2nd or 3rd generation VHS dubs of the show cause it looked worse than it does now after seeing the remastered version. I have DVD copy of DreamSlam I that was converted from one of those 2nd or 3rd generation dubs and the blood looked much more brutal than it does now.

Rah

Post by Rah » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:56 pm

This is the match where Kandori gets the living shit clocked out of her at the start, right? Yeah, I watched it a while back when the GWE Marathon did 24 hours of Akira Hokuto. I'll give it another go to get my thoughts to words, but Hokuto's a heap better than the no-selling nonce she put out in the December Tag League match (that's heralded as great).

JML

Post by JML » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Rah wrote:This is the match where Kandori gets the living shit clocked out of her at the start, right? Yeah, I watched it a while back when the GWE Marathon did 24 hours of Akira Hokuto. I'll give it another go to get my thoughts to words, but Hokuto's a heap better than the no-selling nonce she put out in the December Tag League match (that's heralded as great).
This is the one.

Francis Adu

Post by Francis Adu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:57 pm

On the shortlist for greatest match I've ever seen. Hokuto gives maybe the best performance I've ever seen, a constant persona of desperation. Hokuto clocking Kandori & getting on the mic to talk crap, only for Kandori to viciously try to rip Hokuto's arm off as revenge, is an incredible opening stretch. The Tombstone spot is absolutely insane as is Hokuto's blade job. Kandori's unrelentingly brutal offense throughout the match properly matches Hokuto's dramatic selling. Both Kandori & Hokuto look on the brink of death by the end of the match. So much so that the finishing punches seem so damn well earned after a match of multiple bombs thrown. If there is one nitpick I'd throw in, I probably could've done without the crowd brawling as the first of Hokuto's comeback attempts, although I get that it was probably the easiest way to let Kandori blade too. But this is a masterpiece of telling a story of a war of attrition.

ajdb

Post by ajdb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:55 am

This is probably the best women's wrestling match I've ever seen. The opening is so violent, but seems so appropriate. These two just empty their suitcases here. I flipped out at the tombstone on the table. Not only was it impressive, it came out of reversal of tombstone! If I had one draw-back, it would be the crowd brawling. I'm perfectly fine with brawling through the crowd. I'm NOT fine with doing when someone is bleeding as badly as Hokuto was. I just find that highly unsafe and unsanitary for the fans. Still 5 stars from me.