Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher (IWA-MS 06/11/05)

BillThompson

Re: Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher (IWA-MS 06/11/05)

Post by BillThompson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:35 am

The match that makes me question my, "A match needs to be at least ten minutes to be great" rule. Everything about this match is boss, just unabashed violence at its very best. Necro is his usually sleazy greatness, and this is the Joe that I always want to remember. Up there with Hashimoto/Zangiev as the greatest sub-10 minute match of all time.

Rah

Post by Rah » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:02 pm

What do you get when you put two of the best Indy guys, at their (relative) primes, together and let them kill each other? One of the greatest American Indy matches ever. I watched it a couple weeks back on the PWO GWE stream and it's even better than I remember it being doing the CZW/RoH feud.

This plays as a means for Joe to enact judgment upon Necro for being too rough upon his students (Turner/Franco during the Chikara TWGP). That’s a lot of care for two worthless scrubs. The reckless endangerment for Necro’s safety may make Joe look sloppy in another context yet it worked as a means of putting Joe over as an angry SoB that didn’t care if he murdered the portrayer of a style he hated and a man that disrespected his students.

JML

Post by JML » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 am

I'm remember Adam Summers and Mike Sempervive used to joke about Necro's bar room punches being awesome but they were fucking awesome. This was just a super fun match. Don't know if it will go my greatest of all time list but maybe my personal favorites.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I can't imagine making a list of 100 matches and not having this on there somewhere. Even if it's a pure vanity pick as #100, it needs to be on there. This is as fun (and as painful) as wrestling gets. A match that Necro performed well in, but I think this is one of Joe's better outings. He came across as a murder, not a faux-strong style worker. He came across exactly the way he needed to.