KENTA vs. Low Ki (ROH 12/17/05)

Post by SammyJ_D » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Discuss here

supersonic

Re: KENTA vs. Low Ki (ROH 12/17/05)

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:51 am

GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Match - KENTA's ROH Debut
KENTA vs. Low Ki

Greatest debut in ROH history, surpassing Joe's impressive MOTYC debut that was also against Ki a few years earlier. I'm not counting one-off appearances as debuts, so that disqualifies Kenta Kobashi.

Speaking of Kobashi, of course this match is naturally going to be compared to his masterpiece against Joe. And while this didn't quite live up to that, this was still an incredible match that has stood the test of time. Both men were fantastic mirror images of each other, neither going down to one another's devastating punishment, working this like they were trying to steal the show at the Tokyo Dome.

Low Ki controlled a significant portion of the match surprisingly, and it was very engaging. Watching all of those NOAH classics made me appreciate KENTA selling and delivering hope spots, only to get cut off quickly by his toughest challenger to date, even more challenging and grueling than what he went through against that bastard SUWA. Ki specifically targeted KENTA's back later in the match, which was sold very, very well.

Of course, this match had more than its fair share of kicking and striking exchanges, completely amazing the crowd each time. And those exchanges deserved appreciation thanks to their wonderful execution. Both men also were fantastic in countering and evading each other's offense at times, showing just what an even matchup this was at the time and that they definitely studied each other's work.

As far as the counters, the highlight was KENTA attempting a Busaiku knee only for Ki to grab him mid-air and drop him with a modified Ki Crusher to thunderous applause. Another moment that had the crowd popping huge was KENTA digging down deep, springing up when Ki was going to unleash another top-rope move, and dropping the challenger with a Super Falcon Arrow. KENTA rolled over after the nearfall this got, selling the damage that had been inflicted upon him and showing the effort it took for him to get this spot in.

My only complaint isn't that this was in New Jersey instead of Manhattan, although that likely would've made this even better. Considering that KENTA was to be a semi-regular for ROH, I'd have put Ki away with one G2S, rather than adding in the Busaiku knee for good measure, to establish the G2S as fucking DEATH to the entire ROH locker room. Other than that, this was an absolutely outstanding, jaw-dropping classic.

Rating: ****3/4

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 am

I prefer this match to the Joe/Kobashi match, which was used as a comparison point in supersonic's review above. This is one of my favorite matches ever, and would very likely make my Top 10.

An interesting side note about this match, is that my brothers, who hate wrestling, walked into a room when I was watching this match and were instantly hooked, needing to know more about Low Ki and seeking his matches out on YouTube.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:01 am

It's no surprise you have this above Joe vs. Kobashi, as this is far more up your alley due to the action and pacing. Throw this match in Manhattan or Chicago Ridge and it may be the best match in company history.

brandonbitw

Post by brandonbitw » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:53 pm

This was a fast cruiserweight sprint FIGHT. The striking exchanges were super quick and executed beautifully. The last 10 minutes of the match stepped things up big time leaving me feeling a ****1/2. I would still have this slightly under Joe/Kobashi.