Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Shinya Hashimoto & Yuji Nagata (Zero-One 03/02/01)

Tanner1495

Re: Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Shinya Hashimoto & Yuji Nagata (Zero-One 03/02/01)

Post by Tanner1495 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:52 pm

So, to provide a bit of background to this match, Hashimoto was in NOAH two months prior and he and Misawa were throwing bombs at each other and it was just GOOD STUFF, which is really all the background you need. Now, this match takes place at Zero-One's debut show, and you have Misawa bringing along good buddy and closest thing NOAH had to an ace at the time, Jun Akiyama. Hashimoto was fired from New Japan just a few months prior, so you know this crowd was wanting him something fierce, plus Nagata is there and he is pretty cool too. The match itself was full of heated exchanges and the crowd was just on fire. Hashimoto and Akiyama in particular tore it up even though the overlying story of the match was Misawa/Hashimoto, but damn they hit the fuck out of each other. Everyone here gave it 110%, and the crowd just adds spice to an already hot bowl of awesome. And my god the post match, WATCH THE POST MATCH. Overall, no way this match does not get in my Top 100, and now it is just a matter of where it lands.

Rah

Re: Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Shinya Hashimoto & Yuji Nagata (Zero-One 03/02/01)

Post by Rah » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 am

Doing Ditch's Best of 2000s poll, this ended second for 2001 but I'd put the Araya tag quite comfortably ahead. There's a few great matches it has to contended with in 2001, alone, nevermind "all time", so I'm not sure this would crack my list.

Just think, this is the second and last time Hashimoto and Misawa were in a ring together. That's some straight up shit, Japan. At least Zero1 did the smart thing and filled out the ranks with Akiyama (who was on a helluva bender), and Nagata held his own, too. Also, Tanner isn't lying. Heat is OOZING out of this match. Great debut main event for a promotion.

Flapjackawa

Post by Flapjackawa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Sorry to beg, but is there a link to this match anywhere or could anyone re up it if they have it? I've working my way through early 2000's NOAH and would love to watch some Zero 1 from the same time period.

Rah

Post by Rah » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm