Cesaro vs. William Regal (WWE 11/21/2013)

SammyJ_D

Cesaro vs. William Regal (WWE 11/21/2013)

Post by SammyJ_D » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Discuss here

Rah

Re: Cesaro vs. William Regal (WWE 11/21/2013)

Post by Rah » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 am

This may possibly be the closest you'll find to maestro matwork within a WWE ring. Both men gel unbelievably well and waste almost no motion in creating a setting that showcases just how much this match means to both of them. It's seemingly a running gag throughout Regal's developmental matches that his opponents sickeningly try to pop something back into place. Except that gag isn't humorous but rather harrowingly vicious in its testament to Regal's means. If this really is Regal's last hoorah in a professional ring (and his surgery may indicate that it is), it's a fitting end to a masterful career of one of the greatest men to ever live. The second-to-none technician was finally bested by the one man who could come along and claim his throne.

I'm such an unabashed Cesaro fan that I'd hazard this as one of the best Christmas "presents" I've received. That, perhaps, sounds a little depressing (and one must think what kind of Christmas us South Africans have) but wrestling is a hobby beyond measure and this is two of my favourite guys doing exactly what makes me love this sport so much. This may have been my 5th best match of 2013, but it's still an easy placement. LOVE this.

Do your self a favour, and watch Regal's promo before getting into the match.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Fantastic match, definitely has a shot at making the upper tier of my list. This and the Hero match were great latter day Regal performances, and as great as Cesaro is this is very much a Regal match.

clemdawg

Post by clemdawg » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:20 am

I always felt Regal should have been pushed more and his skill more on display. Not sure why he wasn't moved more into the limelight.

Rah

Post by Rah » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 am

Stand to be corrected but he was scheduled to get a bit of a push after his KotR win, and I believe a "thank you" world title run, but he violated wellness policy and received a 60 day suspension. That killed his push, and he alludes to it in his promo. Pity, as the house show run he got with Punk (as champ) produced one of both men's best matches.

As for the rest of his career? Guess is as good as mine. Dude's grand.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

Regal regards himself as a terrible US wrestler. Obviously there's modesty involved in that but Regal was kind of sluggish and moved oddly. He wasn't quick enough to get back on his feet to be main eventer when the bump and feed style was the thing.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:37 am

This the match that aired on Xmas 2013 episode?

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:40 pm

supersonic wrote:This the match that aired on Xmas 2013 episode?
The video is marked "12/25/13" so yeah.

Rah

Post by Rah » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen (or have) their house show match from Geneva? Cesaro's obviously massively over (I've only ever found their entrances), so it would be nice to see them go at it in that environ.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm

NXT - December 25, 2013
William Regal's Last Match
Cesaro vs. William Regal

Very good throwback match here. Regal used his veteran experience of roughly three decades to get the upper hand early, and I particularly popped when he didn't give Cesaro a clean break, playing dirty with the ref in position not to see it. Cesaro got fucking livid after that and turned up the viciousness, showing the mean streak that made him my pick for the best North American wrestler of 2011.

Another highlight became the story of the match. Cesaro had worked on Regal's left leg, so when the former King of the Ring dropped his knees with his right leg landing on Cesaro's left arm, Regal was so damaged from the work that he couldn't capitalize right away. He went to rest on the turnbuckle, and Cesaro came charging for a nasty European Uppercut, only for Regal to get his right leg up, severely hurting Cesaro's right arm. Cesaro worked the rest of the match hardly being able to use the right arm.

They also had a beautiful European uppercut exchange IIRC, and the technical wrestling was superb. What kept this from being a great match was that they tried copying the finishing story of Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVI, but this match no matter how good or anticipated couldn't tell that story and be as engaging, as indicated by the crowd's silence. Cesaro seemed to forget selling his right arm at the end too. Post-match, Cesaro shakes hands with Regal, signaling a potential babyface turn in the future. ***3/4