John Cena vs. Kevin Owens (WWE 05/31/2015)

SammyJ_D

John Cena vs. Kevin Owens (WWE 05/31/2015)

Post by SammyJ_D » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Discuss here

Morten VH

Re: John Cena vs. Kevin Owens (WWE 05/31/2015)

Post by Morten VH » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:20 pm

I nominated this because some made an argument for The Shield's debut match, as the best debut in WWE history.

Personally i think this is the greatest debut match that anyone has had in WWE history. If this will stand the test of time, depends on what kind of career Owens has from here. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how big of an historical impact this match will have in 5 or 10 years. But if Owens becomes a star and a world champ like i suspect he will, then this clean debut win over the ace of the company, will be shown in highlight packages for years to come.

Oh, and the match was pretty awesome too, and would very likely enter my top 100 regardless of it's historical impact.

Rah

Post by Rah » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:52 am

I don't think this has a remote chance at making a top 100, but it's definitely an interesting case for context. It's every reason why Cena should not haphazardly lose at points, and why he should actively be kept as strong as he is. Besides being the company ace, when he finally does lose (see this and Bryan), those wins mean so much more.

I'm a little more hesitant than Morten VH on this being a major moment in a highlight package for big star Kevin, but this was a big moment regardless. Not only does the debutant beat the company ace in his first match, but he's also the developmental talent champ showing up the big guy. Not for nothing, it's also probably the height of Cena's little PWGesque tribute act (the rest of the series not withstanding).

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:49 am

Elimination Chamber 2015
John Cena vs. Kevin Owens

Perhaps the most anticipated match on this year’s Road to WrestleMania project, and boy did this live up to it. Now of course, even though I have the patience to meticulously provide a play-by-play that manages to dissect the match along the way, I’m not gonna do that here. Instead, I’m going to clearly point out why this match was an instant classic, and will likely grow in reverence as time passes on.

Surface-level, faux know-it-all dipshits that pollute the majority of message boards and social media often try to pass themselves off as intelligent by stating action-packed matches like this one are just glorified indy spotfests. That is what makes them surface level, and what makes me, along with most of you who will bother reading this, far more in-depth, objective, and just overall accurate when it comes to watching and dissecting a great match.

Throughout 2015, Cena found himself challenged by many of the past indy stars that had come along to WWE, resulting in his game being elevated and shredding the insipid “five moves of doom” narrative during his push prime. Perhaps no match defined that more than this one. Simply put, if one were to keep score in this like a boxing or MMA match, Owens pretty clearly dominated this one. Sure, Cena had his hope spots and heat moments here and there, but by and large this was the Kevin Owens Show.

With Owens dominating this match, it made sense that Cena got back into it briefly due to Owens getting cocky and trying to mockingly execute the Five Knuckle Shuffle, much like Cena had done when he went for the People’s Elbow at WrestleMania XXVIII. This time though, the mocker didn’t pay the ultimate price, instead finding himself no longer with such an overwhelming advantage. This was actually brilliant, as they would pull off another story from Cena’s rematch with the Rock later on.

Now of course, the moves in this were quite amazing and spectacular, leading to suspenseful near-falls aplenty. In particular, I was pleasantly surprised (although now in January 2016, maybe not so pleasant after all due to Cena’s injury) to see a super swinging neck-breaker pulled out. Seeing a new guy on the block get to do that to the franchise displayed what a trust that Cena and the company had in Owens. There were of course the moonsaults, Death Valley Driver near-falls, the modified package powerbomb drop, etc. but the story became quite clear in the finishing stretch.

Cena was brilliant in trying to avoid the pop-up powerbomb; it was teased magnificently. But like the Rock at WrestleMania XXIX, Cena found himself become too predictable, going to the lariat well way too much just because it had stopped the momentum Owens had a minute earlier. Knowing that Cena would be busting out his third or fourth lariat in a span of about 60 seconds, Owens ducked it, allowed Cena to run the ropes, and pulled off the upset of the decade, getting Cena to look up at the lights after a pop-up powerbomb!

Post-match, Cena has rolled out and left ringside, and Owens exhaustingly brags that he started a fight and now he’s finished it; the real champ is here.

This was brilliantly paced, elevated Owens with a spectacular layout and finish, and had a finish that displayed Cena’s desperation due to being outmatched by the NXT Champion. This is without a doubt a tremendous match that is extremely deserving of its place in WWE history, and its legacy will grow as the years go by. This was the symbolic match of 2015 Cena. ****1/4

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Being fan of wrestling makes cynicism very easy. Being a WWE fans makes it almost needed to deal with the garbage they sometimes toss on you. But, what I think this match did was truly give hope that the old slogan "anything can happen" is actually true. One year before, the concept of Steen beating Cena seemed like something out of an efed. Now, in retrospect, it seems like a clarion call that with enough support by the right people, talent can truly conquer all. I loved all the matches they had, but this one made Owens immediately.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:31 am