Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins (WWE 01/25/2015)

Morten VH

Re: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins (WWE 01/25/2015)

Post by Morten VH » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

This would very likely enter my top 10 WWF/E matches of all time. This was one hell of a match, and i often see this match as the crowning match of Seth Rollins as a singles star in WWE. This to me, was his breakout performance, where he showed that he belongs at the very top of the wrestling industry. Then you had veterans Cena and Lesnar in there with him, who both did a hell of a job making Rollins look like a star, while also focusing on their individual differences. This is my favorite match to come out of WWE in this decade so far.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:59 am

WWE Title - No DQ Match
Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins vs. John Cena

Another of my most highly anticipated matches for this project. The storyline certainly held up several weeks later, now how about this match?

If you're looking for a match that's about working on body parts, look elsewhere. If you're a fan of character work and peaks and valleys, then this is the match for you. Lesnar hits a couple German Suplexes on Cena to start, while Rollins is taking a powder. Rollins quickly makes his presence known, but gets eaten up by Lesnar too, including a botched German Suplex in which Rollins appeared to aim to land on his feet, but landed on his shoulder. J&J Security would also eat a botched double German Suplex early, although it's hard to blame anyone for that.

Lesnar would eat numerous finishers, including THREE Death Valley Drivers PLUS an SR curb stomp moments later, but that pin would get broken up. With all the false finishes in this one, an important detail I noticed was that finishers were protected, with the exception of Lesnar kicking out at one after a Death Valley Driver, a sign of things to come later in the match.

Cena would tackle Lesnar through a barricade, but that wasn't enough to take down the Beast, and neither would being rammed into steel steps. Cena had to smack Lesnar's head with the steps, then Rollins hit a spectacular flying elbow drop on Lesnar, crashing the commentary table he had been laying down on to lick his wounds. Rollins and Cena would have their usual style of match while Lesnar was laid out, but the highly enthusiastic, energetic Philly crowd gave this an extra oomph, making their work more nailbiting than usual.

What also made the Cena vs. Rollins segments stand out is that Cena had an answer for everything Rollins threw at him unlike their prior encounters. J&J Security got taken out with the usual double Death Valley Driver (of course Noble not taking the full brunt of the bump to protect his documented back injury that initially put him into retirement in late 2009). Cena also did the usual evasion of an SR curb stomp to use the momentum of Rollins for an STF submission. But he also grabbed the foot of Rollins during the "You Can't See Me Taunt," and then moments later didn't allow Rollins to hit a spinning heel kick after springing up, putting down the future WWE Champion with a backdrop driver.

Cena would get knocked down, and for the first time in front of the WWE audience, Rollins went deep into his playbook, whipping out the Phoenix splash. But as soon as he landed that off-the-charts high-risk move, Lesnar was back in the ring, immediately planting him with a German Suplex. Cena would eat one too to take him out of the match. Rollins landed on his feet during another German Suplex attempt, then smack Lesnar with the MITB briefcase, but when he went for an SR curb stomp, Lesnar used the momentum to place him into a fireman's carry position, then dropped him with an F5 for the finish!

This was not only a nailbiter, but played off of the previous Cena vs. Rollins encounters, had Rollins digging deep into his playbook, bringing out a move from his days on the independent scene, and a Terminator-style performance from Lesnar. This match will stand the test of time, and I hope at some point we do get Lesnar vs. Rollins one-on-one to deliver the work of art that I know they have in them. ****1/2

Rah

Post by Rah » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 am

I've only watched this "live", and while it was rather entertaining, I'm not sure this will place. It's a very action heavy spectacle, and it's fun seeing Brock take a slew of finishers and high impact offence (his monster selling is quite swell) but it felt a bit much at times. As a storytelling point, it's an interesting case to take. When you write into cannon that he's that indestructible it kind of limits your future plans in maintaining that aura or not making the other guys look like chumps in comparison.

Lesnar's next match, at the very next PPV, will place, though. That's the type of Brock match I like seeing.

Francis Adu

Post by Francis Adu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:48 pm

It might contend for the lowest of the low end of a top 100 list. An incredible sprint of a match and further proof Seth Rollins will have a better run as a babyface after this heel run ends. The dive onto the announce table and Phoenix Splash tease gave incredible gravitas to the moment. I'd probably gripe a bit that Lesnar probably didn't need to look this invincible in this match as they really made Rollins & Cena look minor-league to him when he was shrugging off so many finishers. But like most current-era Lesnar matches, it gets the benefit (which is a privilege the rest of the roster likely isn't allowed to partake unfortunately) of feeling completely different from the usual WWE main event style.

MrGisMe

Post by MrGisMe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 am

I saw this live in the arena. It actually made up for the abortion that was the Rumble. This match was perfect. Everyone got over. Brock as an absolute BEAST. Cena as a never say die face, and Seths break out performance to show he belonged with the big dogs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk