Voices Of Music

Talk about non-worked sports here (This includes MMA & the NBA playoffs) as well as entertainment, news and hopefully not politics or religion.
Quentin Moody

Voices Of Music

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Okay so I'm a really fanatical music fan when I'm not spending my time being a geek wrestling fan. Thought maybe some of you are the same or maybe even if you don't follow music like that anymore, you can post just some all time favorites.

What albums are you currently in to? New or old
Who are some of your favorite artists?
What are your favorite genres?

Recently in the past week some really great albums have come out that I've dug a lot.

Some of my favorite artists right now include Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar, The Internet, Flying Lotus, Isaiah Rashad, Alabama Shakes, and a bunch more.

I don't really have a "favorite" genre, but I'm a huge fan of Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, and R&B.

What about you guys?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: Voices Of Music

Post by Robareid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I'm a big alt metal guy, so most wrestling themes are almost targetted directly at me.

Larsosc

Post by Larsosc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Hip Hop fans need to check out the latest Czarface album. Inspectah Deck going at it like never before with old school boom bap production and WRESTLING(~!) plus comic book references. Great features by R.A, Method Man and Doom. One of the better albums this year.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Larsosc wrote:Hip Hop fans need to check out the latest Czarface album. Inspectah Deck going at it like never before with old school boom bap production and WRESTLING(~!) plus comic book references. Great features by R.A, Method Man and Doom. One of the better albums this year.
Ghostface Killah also has a pretty good album that has just came out

JML

Post by JML » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:
Larsosc wrote:Hip Hop fans need to check out the latest Czarface album. Inspectah Deck going at it like never before with old school boom bap production and WRESTLING(~!) plus comic book references. Great features by R.A, Method Man and Doom. One of the better albums this year.
Ghostface Killah also has a pretty good album that has just came out
I will definitely take a listen to that.

It's sad I haven't listened to much music this year but the Drake and Kendrick Lamar albums have been the only ones that have stood out to me. Still have to listen to the Wale album.

Hip Hop in 2014 was much better as we got the Freddie Gibbs/Madlib album, Big KRIT and RTJ2.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:54 pm

I am a huge fan of 90s/00s college alt rock.

Afghan Whigs
Sunny Day Real Estate
Pavement
Dinosaur Jr
Husker Du
Jawbreaker
Fugazi

I sprinkle in some Van Morrison, Sabbath, Electric Wizard, BOC.

Jove

Post by Jove » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:09 pm

I'm your typical indie snob fuckface. I spend a lot of time observing soundcloud, bandcamp, beehy.pe, hype machine, various blogs, etc. looking for new stuff. 2015 has been an excellent and exciting year.

Some recent albums this year I've really liked:

Froth - Bleak

Joanna Gruesome - Peanut Butter

Dungen - Allas Sak (not out yet, but every Dungen album has been amazing)

James Curd - Jack Be Nimble (this has been a good year for House)

Annabel - Having It All

Quentin Moody

Voices Of Music

Post by Quentin Moody » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:30 pm

The new Tame Impala album leaked a few days ago and I must say it's pretty damn good.

Jove

Post by Jove » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Tame Impala are seriously making a run at being the band of the 2010's. Right now I can't think of anyone close, now that Smith Westerns broke up.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:29 am

I'm mainly into rock, but I'll listen to anything that I can find that I like. The bands I probably listed to the most are Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Metallica, Seether, Shinedown, Skillet, and Three Days Grace, but like I said, I listen to a variety of other artists as well.

The most recent album I got was Breaking Benjamin's new album, Dark Before Dawn. It's the first album they've released since the band broke up a few years ago (the lead singer reformed the band with all new members). Originally, I didn't like the album as a whole, but it really grew on me the more I listened to it. It's not their best album by any means, but by itself, it's still a pretty good album. If you've heard them before, it's more of the same (and I've heard others say that as well).

It's really hard for me to not like Breaking Benjamin, since the original band is from my area (Wilkes-Barre, PA). You always want to support bands that are local and go on to make it in the music industry. Myself, my brother, and a few friends went to the last major concert the original band had back in 2010, and it was really great to see them live (and I'm happy to say I was there to see the last concert from the original band lineup).

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:28 pm

I see we have quite a few indie and rock fans but do we have any metalheads, I'm into pretty much all types of metal from black and death to power and folk. A couple favourites include Blind Guardian, Disarmonia Mundi, Eluveitie, Killswitch Engage and Woods of Ypres.

For a complete change of pace, I am really into k-pop and the Backstreet Boys are the best thing ever.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:06 pm

I listen to metal a bit. Not my favorite genre, but it is enjoyable at times.

To go back to Tame Impala for a bit, between Innerspeaker, Lonerism, and Currents, who has been better than them in the past 5 years?

Jove

Post by Jove » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:I listen to metal a bit. Not my favorite genre, but it is enjoyable at times.

To go back to Tame Impala for a bit, between Innerspeaker, Lonerism, and Currents, who has been better than them in the past 5 years?

Besides the SW, I was going to say Ariel Pink, counting the two Haunted Graffiti albums and his solo album last year (which might be my album of the decade right now).

If we're going to count a person's collective output like that, I'd throw Ty Segall into the mix.

Maybe White Fence and their 45089737 albums.

Liars have released three excellent albums in the last 5 years, and are still amazing even if they'll probably never match their first three albums.

Tame Impala have the benefit of releasing their first album in 2010, whereas bands like Cymbals Eat Guitars and Real Estate, also with three fantastic albums overall, released their first album 2009.

Deerhunter has only two albums this decade but they are massive.

Can't think of anything electronic right now... maybe Lone?

There's a Japanese band called Fujifabric (フジファブリック) that I really like who have had an incredible decade, considering their leader/songwriter/mastermind died December 24th, 2009, and they've carried on with 4 albums and and EP since 2010.

Speaking of Japanese, even though they broke up in 2012 Tokyo Jihen (東京事変) still released three flawless albums between 2010-2012.

Nah, after all that I have to give the nod to Tame. This has been a superb half-decade.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Jove wrote:
Quentin Moody wrote:I listen to metal a bit. Not my favorite genre, but it is enjoyable at times.

Besides the SW, I was going to say Ariel Pink, counting the two Haunted Graffiti albums and his solo album last year (which might be my album of the decade right now).

If we're going to count a person's collective output like that, I'd throw Ty Segall into the mix.

Maybe White Fence and their 45089737 albums.

Liars have released three excellent albums in the last 5 years, and are still amazing even if they'll probably never match their first three albums.

Tame Impala have the benefit of releasing their first album in 2010, whereas bands like Cymbals Eat Guitars and Real Estate, also with three fantastic albums overall, released their first album 2009.

Deerhunter has only two albums this decade but they are massive.

Can't think of anything electronic right now... maybe Lone?

There's a Japanese band called Fujifabric (フジファブリック) that I really like who have had an incredible decade, considering their leader/songwriter/mastermind died December 24th, 2009, and they've carried on with 4 albums and and EP since 2010.

Speaking of Japanese, even though they broke up in 2012 Tokyo Jihen (東京事変) still released three flawless albums between 2010-2012.

Nah, after all that I have to give the nod to Tame. This has been a superb half-decade.
There are some rappers I would put in this conversation. One would be Kendrick Lamar. 4 great projects in the past 5 years including his major label debut LP. A neo-soul/jazz group by the name The Internet have been pretty great. R&B singers like Frank Ocean and The Weeknd have cases to be made as well.

Jove

Post by Jove » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 am

Quentin Moody wrote:There are some rappers I would put in this conversation. One would be Kendrick Lamar. 4 great projects in the past 5 years including his major label debut LP. A neo-soul/jazz group by the name The Internet have been pretty great. R&B singers like Frank Ocean and The Weeknd have cases to be made as well.

I think Kendrick Lamar's a good choice, especially with how he's gotten people like Kamasi Washington and Thundercat/Stephen Bruner more attention, which I believe should be taken into account.

I'm waiting on Frank Ocean's album later this year. It could very well be that by the end of this decade, he stands alone. Or Earl Sweatshirt truly surpasses him... "Solace" is probably in my top 10 tracks of the year right now.

Or maybe D'angelo releases another album before 2019.....

I'd also throw Florence + the Machine into the mix. That album of hers that just came out is really well done.

I want to put Blur at the top of the list, but I'm impossibly biased. I would say, though, with Blur, Gorillaz, Rocket Juice & the Moon, Africa Express, Dr. Dee, and the brutally misrated Everyday Robots last year, that Damon Albarn is a legit contender as well.