New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Kingdom 14 is finally upon us! Here are all of my statistics and research for night one of the two-night event in the Tokyo Dome.
Each match includes NJPW 2019 statistics (overall and singles/tag team) as well as complete Tokyo Dome statistics (overall and singles/tag team), miscellaneous notes and facts on each competitor’s head-to-head match up.
For more in-depth statistics on NJPW and Wrestle Kingdom 14 weekend, follow me on twitter, @TheChrisSamsa, visit my complete NJPW 2019 statistics on SportofProWrestling.com, buy the Voices of Wrestling NJPW 2019 Year In Review eBook, and check out the Voices of Wrestling Predictions and Preview Columns (Night 1, Night 2)
PRE SHOW MATCH 1
Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura vs. Toa Henare, Karl Fredericks, Clark Connors, Alex Coughlin
- This match features the three wrestlers with the most losing falls in NJPW’s 2019. Toa Henare lead the pack with 81 losing falls, next worst was Yuya Uemura with 71, followed by Yota Tsuji with 67
PRESHOW MATCH 2
HIROYOSHI TENZAN & SATOSHI KOJIMA VS. YUJI NAGATA &MANABU NAKANISHI
- This will be Yuji Nagata’s 44th match in the Tokyo Dome, second only to Jyushin Thunder Liger’s 48
JYUSHIN THUNDER LIGER, TATSUMI FUJINAMI, THE GREAT SASUKE, TIGER MASK VS. NAOKI SANO, SHINJIRO OTANI, TATSUHITO TAKAIWA, RYUSUKE TAGUCHI
- Entering Wrestle Kingdom, Jyushin Thunder Liger holds the record for the most victories in the Tokyo Dome with 29 and most matches in the Tokyo Dome with 48.
- Liger’s 11 hours and 51 minutes of Total Ring Time is also the most in Tokyo Dome history. Yuji Nagata’s 10:01:13 is the closest, followed by Hiroshi Tanahashi’s 9:10:27.
EVIL, SANADA, SHINGO TAKAGI, BUSHI VS. MINORU SUZUKI, TAICHI, ZACK SABRE JR, EL DESPERADO
- Shingo Takagi’s 152 matches and 112 wins were the most in NJPW in 2019.
- Shingo Takagi’s +47 fall differential was the highest in NJPW His only fall in a tag or multi-person match came at the hands of Hiroshi Tanahashi during the Road To The Tokyo Dome shows in December.
- Across eight companies, Minoru Suzuki is entering his 21st Tokyo Dome appearance (NJPW, NOAH, UWF, SWS, PWFG, PANCRASE, AJPW, DDT)
HIROOKI GOTO, TOMOHIRO ISHII, TORU YANO, YOSHI-HASHI VS. BAD LUCK FALE, CHASE OWENS, KENTA, YUJIRO TAKAHASHI
- YOSHI-HASHI is 0-8 in the Tokyo Dome. No other competitor in history has lost more matches in the Tokyo Dome without a victory.
- YOSHI-HASHI’s 80 victories were sixth-best in NJPW in 2019, behind only members of Los Ingobernables De Japon (Takagi, Naito, BUSHI, SANADA, EVIL)
- Chase Owens had the 2nd most pins in NJPW in 2019, only behind Shingo Takagi. He also got pinned 36 times, good for a top 10 finish in that category as well.
IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
TAMA TONGA, TANGA LOA (C) V. JUICE ROBINSON, DAVID FINLAY
- Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa were the most balanced tag team in NJPW in 2019. Each member landed at a +11 Fall Differential.
- The IWGP Tag Team Championships have changed hands at each of the last six Wrestle Kingdom events.
IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP
LANCE ARCHER (C) VS. JON MOXLEY
- Neither Archer or Moxley lost a championship match in 2019. Moxley was stripped of the US title when he couldn’t appear at King of Pro Wrestling and Archer’s entry into the US Championship match that night was his first championship opportunity of the year.
IWGP JUNIOR HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
WILL OSPREAY (C) VS. HIROMU TAKAHASHI
- Will Ospreay leads the career series 2-1 with wins over Hiromu during the 2017 Best of The Super Junior Tournament and New Beginning in Osaka.
- Hiromu’s victory over Ospreay was at 2018’s Dominion, defeating Ospreay for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
- Ospreay’s 33 singles matches and 11 hours, 21 Minutes, and 35 minutes of Singles Ring Time were each the most in NJPW during 2019. Kazuchika Okada’s singles ring time of 8 hours 25 minutes and 45 seconds was the next closest.
IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP
JAY WHITE (C) VS. TETSUYA NAITO
- Jay White leads the career series 2-0, defeating Naito during G1 Block competition this year, and gain for the Intercontinental Championship at Destruction in Kobe.
- Naito is 2-6 in singles matches at the Tokyo Dome. Those two victories were both Intercontinental Championship Matches (Wrestle Kingdom 13 v. Chris Jericho, Wrestle Kingdom 11 v. Hiroshi Tanahashi)
IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
KAZUCHIKA OKADA (C) VS. KOTA IBUSHI
- Kazuchika Okada leads the career series between himself and Ibushi 3-1, Ibushi’s one victory was this summer in the G1 Block Finals.
- Kota Ibushi enters Wrestle Kingdom riding an 11 match winning streak in singles matches.
- Kazuchika Okada’s 24:05 average singles match length was the longest in NJPW in 2019. Ibushi’s 20:16 was fifth-longest of competitors with over 10 matches.
- Okada’s average winning singles match in the Tokyo Dome lands at 30:33. This is by far the highest of all competitors to ever have a singles match in the Tokyo Dome.